Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
hapaness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help...WWYD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
This is the first year that my kids went to school w/a brand new backpack, only because Ross had an awesome sale. Every year, we use whatever didn't get used last year. I'm talking everything. Folders, binders, crayons, glue, pencils w/erasers still intact, rulers, pencil boxes. My daughter is picky and wants new things every year. Sorry girl, not gonna happen. My son could care less. You should see what he wears on his feet. Very bust up crocs that he won't let me trash. He never wants new shoes. Most of their clothes are hand me downs from my nieces and nephews. We got everything else at Walmart for really cheap. I would just talk to the teacher about getting the rest of the supplies. It's only one day. They don't do much the first day anyhoo. If they are really embarrassed, then just let them stay home, no biggie. We started school last week.
Yeah, I dont think my ds cares much about what he wears either. Thats the nice thing about boys. Luckily my kids' favorite store is Goodwill so I dont have to buy expensive stuff.....yet. We get lots of hand-me-downs from friends and my IL's. The other good thing about my kids' clothes is that 90% of their wardrobe is from birthdays and christmas. My family is really big and they will get 2 or 3 outfits from each family member on holidays...I dont remember the last time I REALLY had to go shopping for them.

Advertisement

hapaness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

I know how it feels to be made fun of for not having new clothes I used to have to wear the same clothes for years same book bag and shoes too. Its not fun but if financially you dont have the money what can ya do? ya know.

good luck with figuring it all out.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
hapaness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2Princesses View Post
I would send them to school on the first day. I was pretty involved in my dds school last year, and the thing that makes the biggest impression is how nice and neat their hair looks. It sounds silly but some kids could be wearing the cutest clothes but their hair was a mess. That and it's amazing how nice an outfit looks when it's been ironed. I iron dds clothes and they look so much nicer. I hope your kids have a good day and enjoy going shopping tomorrow!!!
yeah, i just pulled out a dress for my dd that she only wore once or twice last year. I'll just iron it and make sure her hair is nice. She also has a cute little pair of pink zori's (um...flip flops) that would look nice with them. Maybe I'll paint her toenails too.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
hapaness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJmomof2 View Post
I know how it feels to be made fun of for not having new clothes I used to have to wear the same clothes for years same book bag and shoes too. Its not fun but if financially you dont have the money what can ya do? ya know.

good luck with figuring it all out.
I was fortunate enough to have a mother who spoiled me because she felt bad for not ever being around (she worked A LOT) so I didn't have to put up with that but I really hate that some people are so superficial...I think as long as you have the things you need it doesnt matter if its brand new or name brand.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was poor growing up, too. I thank the Lord that my grandparents took us school shopping every year. My kids love Goodwill and the like, too. We can spend hours in there. They try on a bunch of crap.
Why don't you just move over here? No one would tease your kids for not having brand new stuff. It's pretty much the norm in HI. The church my mom works at hands out free backpacks w/all school supplies to families in need, no questions asked.
I'll say a prayer that your kids will have fun on the first day of school.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #16
hapaness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG I'd love to live in HI! That be quite a move though, and with my ss in California it'll be pretty expensive to fly him back and forth every summer. :-(
We're pretty much stuck on the mainland...west coast. UGH.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #17
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you found your answers!

Try not to make the new school year a reason to splurge and buy things that you would not otherwise feel comfortable buying. Clean up some older clothes (I bet you have a few they very seldom wore) so they won't get teased for it, and as a PP said, tell them you want to make sure that you get the supplies the teachers want them to have.

Good Luck mama!! It isn't easy being in this boat! We are actually going to be going to the local task force here in a few minutes in hopes that I can get the boys a few clothing items to replace the ones they outgrew as well as see if they can help me with some baby items I cannot afford to purchase.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #18
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would send them with the old backpacks and get the school supplies when you can, reusing whatever you have. In the future, if you can slowly set aside money over the summer, it is cheaper to buy the supplies as they go on sale over the course of the summer, rather than all at once right before school starts. We don't get our lists until the week before school, and it was expensive last year to find everything ds needed because stores were sold out of a lot of stuff, and what they had was no longer on sale. The store was out of packs of red pens, so I ended up having to spend a few dollars for one red pen, rather than buying a pack of 10 for under $1. If I buy over the course of the summer, I can get a box of crayons for 5 cents, 2 pairs of scissors for under a dollar, markers for under a dollar, cheap glue sticks, etc.

Ds2 is going to start school with the same backpack he has used for the past 3 years. Dd2 is going to school for the first time this year, and she may use the backpack the ds1 used for two years already. We will reuse whatever lunch boxes are in good shape, though most of ours were in pretty sorry shape by the end of the last school year. We only do new clothes as they outgrow their old clothes, so they will be wearing the same clothes as they are wearing over the summer or wore last year. Ds2 will have some new clothes but that is because this year is the first year that he has had a dress code. He wore ds1's hand me downs until now and ds1 was too young for the dress code when he wore those sizes. We usually do new shoes, but only because they are due for shoes and usually wear sandals over the summer. This year we won't be doing new shoes for most of my dc because they still fit into their current sneakers (just had them checked).
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaness View Post
yeah, i just pulled out a dress for my dd that she only wore once or twice last year. I'll just iron it and make sure her hair is nice. She also has a cute little pair of pink zori's (um...flip flops) that would look nice with them. Maybe I'll paint her toenails too.
Well, it sounds like you found a plan. I bet she will look cute. You should paint her toes if she is wearing open toes, it can do a lot for an outfit. Maybe paint her nails too if she doesn't bite them.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You will have to tell us after school how the 1st day went!!

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote