Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Sweetp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Ezcema on a 5month old! Help

My sweet 5 month old has a nasty rash of ezcema around his groin and it's on his face and chest. My ped recommended a steriod cream but I don't want to put it on him yet. What creams/ lotions help ezcema? I have no experience with this. What about vasoline? Ped recommended that.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ezcema on a 5month old! Help

We use Aveeno lotion but to tell the truth we haven't had a break-out since we started using a humidifier in her room at night. Also I wouldn't use regular wipes...might be something in them cause the break-out.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

Lotions you can try:
Aveeno
Aquaphor

If the itching is bad, you can try Eucarin anti-itch spray. How bad is it? Are you nursing? You can put breastmilk on it and let it dry, that REALLY helps.

Has he had new foods? using new detergents? disposable wipes? new wipe solution? It's important to find the cause to prevent future problems.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Sweetp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for your advice. He's soley breastfed, no foods, wash in all free and clear. I think I might try the aveeno lotion, because someone else recommended that. Is it the aveeno lotion for ezcema and dry skin? Any others?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
ce&E
Registered Users

My ds had bad excema at that age also. We switched over all our products (skin, bath and laundry) to unscented and fragance free ones (the doctor said it had to be both or else they could use fragance to make it unscented or the other way around I can't remember) and used cetaphill cream on his skin. It cleared up very quickly for us. The other thing is that eczema could be a reaction to something in his breastmilk or formula so you might want to play around with that also. I cut out dairy from my diet ( he was bf) at the same time I made other changes so it's hard to say if that was a factor in it clearing up or not.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Sweetp
Registered Users

My Mood:

So Cetaphil or aveeno? Why would you use one or the other? I'm asking because we don't have a ton of money to go buy a bunch of creams to try. So I want to get the best thing.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

I believe Cetaphil, Aquaphor, and Eucarin are all made by the same company. The Aquaphor is thicker and used more often on babies (intended for babies). Aveeno is great, but can still cause sensitivities for some people. I've never known the others to cause sensitivities though. So if you don't want to have to try more than one thing, you may want to go with Aquaphor. Doctors often recommend it for babies with eczema, it's very gentle, and it's not likely to aggravate or create more problems.

Also, Aveeno makes lots of different lotions (including Baby Aveeno), so it can be hard to know which one to go with. Whatever you get, make sure it is fragrance free and unscented (as pp metioned) and that it is hypo-allergenic.

There's also a line of baby products for eczema and cradle cap that you could try. They have a cream and baby bath and such, I can't remember the brand. But it wasn't as effective as the Aquaphor for us. (My niece had severe eczema on her cheeks and the backs of her legs and I babysat her full time. My kids have also had mild eczema.) Aveeno makes a great oatmeal bath too, that can really help relieve the itching and dryness.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP with all the lotions. We used them all and found that Aveeno worked best for us. Our pediatrician also recommended short cool baths and then lathering them in lotion. I would consider using the medicated lotion on his face, because an outbreak can get REALLY bad! A friend of mine used to get it so bad her eyes would crust shut. I hope you find a solution that works for your little one
Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We also use aveeno baby, fragrance free version. DS doesn't have skin problems anymore but we still continue the fragrance free versions of things just to be on the safe side. Vaseline can also provide relief from itching. We used to put it up around the parts that were around his eyes, just right before he went to bed at night. Not during the day or anything. It's really hard (and somewhat frustrating) to find out what may cause an allergic reaction. There are foods to consider (except if they aren't eating yet), what mom is eating, environmental factors, lotions, soaps, detergents used...it could be anything. There are particular times here in GA when they are harvesting certain crops that some things are stronger allergens than others (soy I think off the top of my head).
Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
yogimama
Registered Users

I have it pretty bad on my face and dairy is the worst trigger I have - so you may want to try eliminating dairy from your diet. I've heard that the oatmeal baths can help, but I would probably put breastmilk on it as well. That stuff is magic! Hope your little one feels better soon - it's definately no fun.
yogimama is offline   Reply With Quote