Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
How do I tell my kids nicely...

that having the 3 girls from across the street, as sweet as they are, is more than I want to deal with most days. I have 4 kids, the oldest being 5. I don't know what to say to them, without them blabbing to neighbors later or ruining their fun, that my hands are full enough. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I tell my kids nicely...

Maybe you could tell your LOs that it's "family time," and establish a certain time for "friends time." Or do you not want them over at all? Do your kiddos visit the neighbors?
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: How do I tell my kids nicely...

PP's suggestion is good. During family time no one but family is allowed over. Or make it family days and friends days. A couple of days a week, their friends can come over and play. Or even better, start sending over to the other girls house.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

I agree with pps. Pick a few days a week (or one) when it is ok for the neighbors to come over and the rest are not (unless by prior arrangement). You are the mommy so you get to set the rules. Would you be comfortable telling the parents that you can't have their girls over everyday? Or maybe work something out so at least some of your kids can go over to the neighbor's house?
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

The girls have gone over to the neighboor's a few times and the mom has taken my dd2 to the library, etc. I love the family but I just can't do what she does (ie she always does a craft with them or takes them to the neighborhood park). When her girls come over I usually just let them all go outside to play on our big, new swingset (how lazy am I?). Granted, she doesn't have 15mo. getting-into-EVERYTHING twins. Her kids are 8, 6, and 4 and they're no trouble at all but it's just the extra chaos. I like the idea of family time/friend time. But then I'd have to explain why family time includes mama on the computer.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
granolapunk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would assign days or times for friend time. maybe get a calendar and mark the days so they can watch and look forward to it. maybe you can even talk to the other childrens parents and get them to come to an agreement as well so they aren't coming over and asking?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Growing up we were never allowed to have friends over inside unless we asked. Outside was fine, as long as we told them they were coming.

I like the idea of friend days. Just say on Mondays only (or whatever day works for you) friends are allowed to come over with prior permission. Other days they are allowed to go over there. That way there's no mention of family time for the rest of the days and no obligation for you to avoid the computer.

ISO: GMD workhorse fitteds, Lil Joey, thirsties or similar quality girly newborn AIO, swaddelbees simplex, thirsties duo covers
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
Growing up we were never allowed to have friends over inside unless we asked. Outside was fine, as long as we told them they were coming.
I wasn't allowed to have friends over unless I asked, then my mom had to talk to thier mom to make sure it was okay. Even in high school when we were driving and they could pop over anytime I had to ask. Also no phone calls after nine or beore 9 on weekends.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinmom View Post
Also no phone calls after nine or beore 9 on weekends.
When my BFF and I lived together after HS we had that rule! Except it was no calls before noon and no calls after midnight
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote