Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #501
skifreakdawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
Are you using liquid or powder?

((Jamie: mom to five & Baby W due 01/10/16! Domestic diva, in love with my firefighter. Sent from my Droid Maxx.
*My posts are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice*))
I'm using gain powder. I'm not having poopy stink issues just the ammonia and something causing the rash on my LO

Advertisement

skifreakdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #502
skifreakdawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also...I don't get the ammonia smell as soon as anything is peed on...it's really just the night time diapers...so is the ammonia stink even an issue?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #503
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreakdawn View Post
Also...I don't get the ammonia smell as soon as anything is peed on...it's really just the night time diapers...so is the ammonia stink even an issue?
Probably not, but do this:
Rinse your overnight diapers before putting them in the diaper pail. Do this for 5-6 washes (about 2 weeks, assuming you wash every 2-3 days). Then re-evaluate your overnight diapers.

I do not know that all of the extra rinses in your routine are causing a problem. The only problem for me would be the annoyance of all the time it takes to wash all those diapers! I use the heavy duty wash setting on my washer, it has more agitation and includes a pause for a few minutes to soak. So my wash looks like this: Short heavy duty wash - spin - Long heavy duty wash - spin - rinse - spin. Yep, that's right, I don't even usually do an extra rinse! I do an extra rinse about once a month, because typically something happens... maybe I had used bleach in the load that was in the washer before the diapers, maybe it is an extra large load I just want to make sure gets well-rinsed, whatever the reason, but not very often. Since I have a top loader, I do occasionally lift the lid of the washer while it is agitating the rinse water and I check to make sure there aren't extra soap bubbles (agitation bubbles are okay, these pop within the first few seconds. Soap bubbles stick around longer). I haven't had any extra soap bubbles so I typically do not do an extra rinse.

I also would try increasing the amount of detergent you are using just a little bit. You said you are using the amount appropriate for your load size, I don't know how much, just say it is to the second line on the cap, so then I would try using enough to the third line on the cap. Just a small increase.

I think the rinse as soon as you take off the overnight diapers and a tiny increase in soap will fix the ammonia (which isn't really a HUGE problem for you anyway, you are not getting rashes from it or anything, are you?) I suggested a simpler wash routine just to make your life easier, feel free to take that advice or leave it. And I still am puzzled about the sticky feeling, since you are mostly using prefold type diapers, that is weird. Maybe someone else has ideas on that.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #504
skifreakdawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEkalmia View Post
Probably not, but do this:
Rinse your overnight diapers before putting them in the diaper pail. Do this for 5-6 washes (about 2 weeks, assuming you wash every 2-3 days). Then re-evaluate your overnight diapers.

I do not know that all of the extra rinses in your routine are causing a problem. The only problem for me would be the annoyance of all the time it takes to wash all those diapers! I use the heavy duty wash setting on my washer, it has more agitation and includes a pause for a few minutes to soak. So my wash looks like this: Short heavy duty wash - spin - Long heavy duty wash - spin - rinse - spin. Yep, that's right, I don't even usually do an extra rinse! I do an extra rinse about once a month, because typically something happens... maybe I had used bleach in the load that was in the washer before the diapers, maybe it is an extra large load I just want to make sure gets well-rinsed, whatever the reason, but not very often. Since I have a top loader, I do occasionally lift the lid of the washer while it is agitating the rinse water and I check to make sure there aren't extra soap bubbles (agitation bubbles are okay, these pop within the first few seconds. Soap bubbles stick around longer). I haven't had any extra soap bubbles so I typically do not do an extra rinse.

I also would try increasing the amount of detergent you are using just a little bit. You said you are using the amount appropriate for your load size, I don't know how much, just say it is to the second line on the cap, so then I would try using enough to the third line on the cap. Just a small increase.

I think the rinse as soon as you take off the overnight diapers and a tiny increase in soap will fix the ammonia (which isn't really a HUGE problem for you anyway, you are not getting rashes from it or anything, are you?) I suggested a simpler wash routine just to make your life easier, feel free to take that advice or leave it. And I still am puzzled about the sticky feeling, since you are mostly using prefold type diapers, that is weird. Maybe someone else has ideas on that.
Thanks so much! Gonna simplify the routine and do a strip to start from scratch! Hopefully that will solve everything!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #505
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Good luck! Give it a week or two to see if problems continue to build up.

Since many of your diapers are from GMD, you may find some helpful hints in her washing instructions: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...g-diapers.html
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote