Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We use it with DS because we live in a cold climate and also live in the basement. I also take vit D myself. If we lived in a normal house even with the cold climate we probably wouldn't. We only do it for the winter months too (oct to april here in Canada lol!)

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamin D for babies?

I never gave it to my breastfed babies either, and all of them are thriving now. The one time a ped pushed for it, I tried one dose which dd gagged on. I told the dr they made her sick and they never bugged me again.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Nope. You don't need it. Just make sure they are getting sunlight most days. If you live in a climate where they are constantly bundled up or raining for months, then yes I would do it.
ITA. You don't need it. Vitamin D is one of the easiest to get.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Kmomto2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would really think about giving it to your baby or even supplementing yourself with around 4000 IU a day to supplement for the both of you. There is a ton of new research that is coming out showing that we are not getting enough vit d. It is grat to get it from the sun but that all depends on where you live. Here in the Midwest the sun only shines at the right angle to allow our skin to absorb enough during four months of the year from what I understand. You should look up some literature on google scholar on the subject. A link between low vit d levels and autism is being researched among other things. Very cool stuff.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use the one drop D drops too. We're in MN and don't get out nearly enough, our doc recommended the Poly-vi-sol but after seeing the crap that was in them I just couldn't do it.
Mercedes-, babywearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, happy mama just trying to do my best for my sweet little Jack (12/11) and #2 due 9/16
Mercy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't give it even though it was recommended. We live in NC and are outside every day for some sun and fresh air. If I lived in a colder climate or was not in the habit of getting outside often, then I would have given the supplement.

ETA: I do give it to my teenager. She isn't much into playing outside anymore and spends most of her free time in her room singing and playing guitar. She needs the supplement.

Last edited by syfitz; 11-03-2012 at 07:05 AM.
syfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
It is a new recommendation. It wasn't out yet when DD1 was born (she's 3), but was recommended for DD2 (22 months). My ped told me it was based on studies showing lower rates of forearm fractures in children and toddlers who had been receiving the supplement. These threads always turn into a debate about whether or nit we get enough vitamin D.

If you do want to do it, don't use the multivitamin, it tastes gross. We used the D-Vi-Sol instead of Poli-Vi-Sol, I could get it over the counter at Walmart. The D one tastes sweet and DD2 loved it.
It is NOT new. My oldest is 14yo & it was recommended when she was a baby.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just bought the ones at the Vitamin Shop. Only need one drop of them and they're colorless/flavorless.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our super crunchy doctor who is mostly against flu shots, many vaccines, and flouride strongly recommended vitamin d. But we live in the pacific nw where there is very little sun.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #30
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF

It is NOT new. My oldest is 14yo & it was recommended when she was a baby.
Ah, not so new then. I believe the studies my ped was talking about were recent though.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote