Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

History book recommendations?

What book/books do you all use for teaching history? Specifically world history and US history. My son is 10 and a very avid reader. I'm thinking of teaching history mostly through biographies and historical fiction (specifically the Who Was and I Survived books) because I know he will devour them and retain what he reads better that way, but I'd like to find an overview-type history book that will be interesting enough to hold his attention but still thorough. Does not have to be Christian-based but I would prefer that it not be anti-Christian, if you know what I mean. Thoughts? Suggestions? This child of mine is very smart and also very stubborn, so he will soak learning up if I offer it but I can't push it or he will balk. MUST be interesting.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: History book recommendations?

We use Mystery of History, which we really enjoy. However, it's not broken up into world and American history -- it simply goes from creation to modern day. It includes Biblical history along with everything else. We really like it because it shows what's going on around the world in chronological order, instead of focusing on one country. It is meant to be cyclical -- 4 years, then repeat. They have activities to go with each lesson, which are split up by age group, so you can use the books with multiple ages. Right now I have 2 high schoolers and a 5th grader going through it.

If he's an avid reader and you are wanting to use living books, though, you might check into TruthQuest. It is a guide to books, in chronological order of subject. So, American history takes up 3 guides, I think, but within those it's chronological. It simply lists books to look for on different subjects. This one would probably work well for you, but you'll need a good library system, probably.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 11 yo DS loved This Country of Ours and An Island Story. Also Story of the World. He read and liked Child's History of the World, but that was several years ago. Look at Ambleside Online's lists. I printed out the lists for Y5 and Y6 and had DS put them into "lists" on his library account, then he just orders what he wants.

Sonlight lists are good too, the readers and read alouds are mostly great, the spines are okay.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I meant to answer this the other day and it slipped my mind.

We use My Father's World and these are our history books for this year. It's the exploration to 1850s one.

P3070134 by jen_batten, on Flickr

I really like Pioneers and Patriots. It's very interesting and storybook style. It might be a little young for what you are looking for, I think it's 2nd and 3rd grade.

The Last 500 Years has a 2 page section on various topics with lots of pictures. I can take a picture of the inside if it will help. My older two said they don't really like it because it goes over stuff we've already learned, but I think it helps Kennah, sometimes the other ones are too much for her (she's 8).

Building a City on a Hill--I wouldn't recommend this. There are some interesting parts for sure but it's pretty wordy and a little dry overall. Rachel says she likes it pretty well though (she's 10 as well).

The bottom 3--we like all of these fairly well. Story of the World is probably my least favorite because it seems jumbled to me, but it's a couple of the kids' favorite. They are divided up into manageable chapters and most of them are interesting but there are a few not-so-great ones as well.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you ladies! I appreciate the suggestions and input. I think I'm going to hold off on buying something for now and just try different ones from our library...I found Story of the World and some others there yesterday in their homeschool section. I was pretty excited.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
JRDBaby
Registered Users

We use Heart of Dakota and there are a lot of living books there!
JRDBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are using Layers of Learning The boys are all loving it.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote