Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What kind of bed for a 14mo?

Our pack and play was recalled when we were back home, DS is in the hotel provided crib for now.

When we get into our apartment the Army will be lending us a twin bed for DS as they don't have cribs or toddler beds, but I'm not sure what to replace it with.

Our furniture is still in transit, won't get here until March so... we need something soon!

I'm considering going to ikea and getting him a twin bed (w/a no-tax voucher) and of course we'll need a full mesh rail for the bed.

DS is a very active little man, he enjoys taking things out of cabinets and putting things in places he thinks they should be. I know he moves a lot at night so I want to make sure he's going to be safe in his room.

Help!

Advertisement

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What kind of bed for a 14mo?

My DD was in her crib until she was 3. I plan to keep yDD in her crib until then as well. HTH
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is cosleeping an option until he is a few months older and you don't have to worry about him falling off of a twin bed? If not, perhaps just a matress on the floor for a while?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got The Kid a toddler bed that's shaped like a fire engine. We got it used so it was much cheaper and his crib mattress fit in it just fine. What I liked about it the most was the fact that the sides are raised and if we put him to sleep towards that side it was almost as if he was still in the crib, as he would have to scoot towards the end in order to get out. It's also very easy for a teeny tot to get in/out. And it provides hours of pretend fun as well.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would get another pack n play or a crib. He seems too young for a big kid bed.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprincess View Post
My DD was in her crib until she was 3. I plan to keep yDD in her crib until then as well. HTH
Yea, but then if we buy another crib we'll have TWO when DS's crib gets here, and I'll have to either order one from AAFES which will take a while to get here or go buy one on the economy and spend $$$ for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
Is cosleeping an option until he is a few months older and you don't have to worry about him falling off of a twin bed? If not, perhaps just a matress on the floor for a while?
I was thinking about a mattress on the floor. Co-sleeping works for me but not for DH who has to get up at crack o' dawn for PT and stuff, I'd rather not have baby up at 4 am, because then he likes to play, kwim? DS also keeps DH awake by kicking him, all night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
We got The Kid a toddler bed that's shaped like a fire engine. We got it used so it was much cheaper and his crib mattress fit in it just fine. What I liked about it the most was the fact that the sides are raised and if we put him to sleep towards that side it was almost as if he was still in the crib, as he would have to scoot towards the end in order to get out. It's also very easy for a teeny tot to get in/out. And it provides hours of pretend fun as well.
I'm thinking if I can find an Ikea bed that we have to put together I can just not put the feet on and have a bedframe on the ground, kwim? They have cute ones, but they're expensive! Maybe using one of their stains or finding an eco stain for a bed w/out feet (is that the right word?) would be cute enough for DS but also not dangerous.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So you just need something until your furniture gets there?
in that case, I would get another Pack and Play. We still get a ton of use out of ours.
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprincess View Post
So you just need something until your furniture gets there?
in that case, I would get another Pack and Play. We still get a ton of use out of ours.
Well yes and no. Yes meaning that I'd love to use DS's convertible crib as long as possible, and it has a toddler bed setting w/half rail.

No meaning that it converts into a full sized bed which will surely not fit in his bedroom (and we'll be here for the next 3-5 years so we'll end up getting him a new bed anyway..)

Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
mbsr76
Registered Users

I would go with a pack 'n play until your furniture gets to you. But it gives me great anxiety to think about my son being in a "big boy" bed and having free run of his room at night, so I'm keeping him contained as long as possible.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would go with another pack and play. 14 mos. is very young to have free roam of the house. There are way too many things to get into trouble with. Both of my kids and all the grand kids were corraled in the crib until they were 2-1/2 to 3 yo.

A crib or play pen is the safest route.