Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ADHD Options?

I have a friend with a 6 year old that has ADHD. She was wondering if there are options other than traditional meds that might help his attention span, specifically at school, but overall as well.

Does anyone have suggestions? Herbs or anything...

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
rrmrose
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ADHD Options?

www.vaxa.com has something called Attend and my dd was on it for awhile and it really worked well for her.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have ADHD and was diagnosed with it when I was 11. The honest to god best thing is exercise. I do an hour everyday of hard cardio exercise and it has totally replaced my need for ritalin. I bet a half hour of bike ridding or jumping on a trampoline would be great for a kid.
There is a great book that backs this up called Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey

Good Luck
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Mama2acrew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mt. Dew. Something with heavy caffeine in it. It settles an ADHD child... Lots of exercise. And I am not big on meds but tell her not to feel so badly toward them that her child's childhood suffers because of it.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fish Oil!!! It seriously helps people with ADHD focus better. We use it for everyone in our family and it makes a nice difference. My DH and I take the regular pills but we buy the kids the kid that they can chew up and it tastes good. You can pick it up at any vitamin or health food store or order it online.

Exercise definitely helps as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

One of the key triggers for ADHD is artificial colors. Have her try and find a copy of Dr Ben Feingold's book about ADHD.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
jmred
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 7 year old son has ADHD, and we don't have him on meds. I totally reccomend putting the child in a sport or other activity. We enrolled my son in soccer and that did wonders for him. We also did behavioral therapy,too. That really helps him get to know his different triggers and learn how to deal with them. It also helps me to learn his triggers too. I agree with a pp, though- meds aren't always a bad thing. I just want to try to exhaust every attempt first. Hope that helps!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with Fish Oil (purified and PCB and heavy metal free). It has actually been found to help kids with ADHD and has minimal side effects and many other beneficial properties.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great ideas. I also wanted to ask if she had done a sleep study. There are SO many kids out there that actually have sleep disorders instead of ADHD. There are some kids that even seem like they sleep but don't get into enough deep sleep.

I agree with the fish oil and exercise.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote