Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need some overnight suggestions for my 4 1/2 yo boy

My son is 4 1/2 years old and has been day trained for quite a while (he pted at 2 1/2). While he hasn't quite made it to 5 dry mornings which was our goal before going to just underwear at night instead of the cloth overnight underwear (he wears Blueberry trainers), he was making progress with 4 of the 7 nights a week dry. He just took away his afternoon nap in December so now he falls right to sleep at night but is so tired is no longer waking during the night to pee. When he was taking naps, he was staying up until 11pm and peeing a lot just out of boredom. Since December, he has had one dry morning. And the other days his trainers are soaked! He is bothered by this a little bit but not much so I don't know how much as sunk in but he was making such good progress before December.

I need some suggestions to help him wake up dry more.

Here is what we ARE doing to help (but it isn't helping):

Limit fluids after 6. We are pretty good with this though he may still be finishing up his milk at 6:30 but that is usually the cut off time if we didn't make the 6 time frame. We used to eat at 7-8 at night when DH got home but now I feed the kids from 5-6 so we can limit the fluids.

Trying to get him to pee several times between dinner and bedtime which is at 8-8:30.

What else might work? I feel so bad for him because he was doing really well, I thought. The pediatrician said that it is normal for boys to wet overnight until age 7 but that he had a great start since he woke dry many mornings. Also, the pedi said that it really doesn't help to "teach" them to wake by waking him to pee since that just teaches him to pee while sleeping. I do agree with this as when we used to do it, he was never really awake walking to the toilet. He just walked in his sleep.

TIA for your help.

Advertisement

Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some overnight suggestions for my 4 1/2 yo boy

For the last few months I was getting Dd up to the bathroom right as I was going to bed, it worked really well.
I also bought some (3) cotton topped washable chux pads from an online medical supply company, for under her top sheet and layered the bed. Mattress/mattress pad/waterproof pad/sheet/waterproof pad/sheet. So if she was wet when I went in I pulled off the top sheet and pad and she had a dry bed again.
This week I stopped waking her and let her sleep through. I told her to knock on my door so she can go pee in the morning, and she has been most days, this morning she just shouted me. She's been dry all week.
Turns out she was afraid to get out of bed and go pee alone. I don't stop her drinking she even has a gulp of water as she goes to bed. She just turned 4 Jan 2nd.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so far those are all great ideas. the only other one I remember and can think of to bring up, is walking him in his sleep to the potty and waiting for him to go. My sister had horrible allergies and was taking medicine that would make her incontinent at night - so we limited fluids at night, took her potty often before bedtime AND helpd my parents walk her to the potty at night. I think she was around 7 when we had a long stretch of dry nights, but it really was because of her medicine and not her potty learning.

Ironically enough, a lot of those allergy meds have all been recalled, and listed incontinence as a side effect

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
For the last few months I was getting Dd up to the bathroom right as I was going to bed, it worked really well.
I also bought some (3) cotton topped washable chux pads from an online medical supply company, for under her top sheet and layered the bed. Mattress/mattress pad/waterproof pad/sheet/waterproof pad/sheet. So if she was wet when I went in I pulled off the top sheet and pad and she had a dry bed again.
This week I stopped waking her and let her sleep through. I told her to knock on my door so she can go pee in the morning, and she has been most days, this morning she just shouted me. She's been dry all week.
Turns out she was afraid to get out of bed and go pee alone. I don't stop her drinking she even has a gulp of water as she goes to bed. She just turned 4 Jan 2nd.
We only have a few mornings that his bed is wet but he also wears waterproof blueberry trainers and I will wait until he has 5 dry mornings before we switch. We could try to wake him as we go to bed but like I wrote, the pedi said that really wouldn't make a difference (it didn't for us when we tried it before). He is a boy and I have heard they are harder to night train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
so far those are all great ideas. the only other one I remember and can think of to bring up, is walking him in his sleep to the potty and waiting for him to go. My sister had horrible allergies and was taking medicine that would make her incontinent at night - so we limited fluids at night, took her potty often before bedtime AND helpd my parents walk her to the potty at night. I think she was around 7 when we had a long stretch of dry nights, but it really was because of her medicine and not her potty learning.

Ironically enough, a lot of those allergy meds have all been recalled, and listed incontinence as a side effect

He doesn't take any meds so I guess that isn't going to be a cause. Thanks though.
Ask me how!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

Chiro visits can help, supposedly (although it did not for us). But the chiropractor claimed great success in the past!
Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

I was going to suggest getting him up to pee right before you went to bed also. I think you are doing all the right things- some kids just don't have the control to go all night at age 4 1/2.
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaneen View Post
I was going to suggest getting him up to pee right before you went to bed also. I think you are doing all the right things- some kids just don't have the control to go all night at age 4 1/2.
Yeah, I think that is what I am going to chalk it up to. I hate the idea of waking him esp since the pedi said that it really wouldn't help much to "teach" him unless he was ready to do it. I have been reading some research online too and it seems that there is a hormone that has to be made and typically this is when some children produce it to limit the urine but not everyone has it yet. It makes me feel better since many of the children I know are dry at night now and my son was almost there until we took away his naps.

I guess he has to work it out for himself. We just keep telling him that he will get there one day. At least we don't worry about the wetting in the daytime anymore. And, I have definitely gotten my $$ worth for the 4 blueberry trainers we have been rotating for 1 1/2 years without buying any sposie pull ups, .
Ask me how!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
karenann33
Registered Users

My Mood:

Granted I never tried to fix this but my son didn't wake up dry EVER until he was 7.5 years old. I just put him in Goodnites (cloth ones gave him awful rashes no matter what I did).