Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

Outgrowing reflux meds?

My DS takes Axid right now (1.1 ML) twice a day. He's almost seven months and has started waking frequently during the night, crying, like he did before he was on medicine. He's also begun spitting up frequently again. He hasn't had these symptoms for months now. I'm wondering if he needs a new medicine? I've heard they can develop a resistance to the Axid over time.

The only other possible explanation is possible teething issues. It wouldn't really explain the spit-up, but perhaps that's why he's waking. At his 6 month check-up the doc said there were some teeth on the bottom getting ready to come in.

Anybody had some experience with reflux? Did yours ever outgrow their meds after a while?

Advertisement

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Re: Outgrowing reflux meds?

I know they can outgrow the dosage as they grow. I don't know about the medicine just stopping though.

I'd make an appointment and take him into his doctor, especially if you think its a possbility.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I'm not mistaken, Axid is along the same lines as Zantac. The dosage is very weight sensitive, so it may be just that he needs a higher dose. That being said, teething does cause reflux to flare and cause more spit up. They are drooling more and swallowing more and that creates more pressure on the tummy and thus more reflux. My 1st dd was a happy spitter and it always got so much worse when she was teething.

My youngest has very severe reflux and anything like teething or a cold always made it worse.

I'd say it's time to check the dosage for his weight and maybe prop his crib while he's teething if you can.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

So the teething can increase spit-up? Good to know! Geesh, teething is the worst. Is there anything it can't do to mess with a kid? Seriously. I think we'll try propping him up tonight. See if that helps. He had is dosage increased at 6 months (only a few weeks ago), so that's why I was thinking maybe he was just developing a tolerance. But the teething makes sense. If it continues to get worse, we'll call our doc.

Oh, and Menfusse, I LOVE that hat in your avatar!! Did you make it? Buy it? Details, please!!

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know much about Axid but DS is on Prevacid and we have had to increase his dosage numerous times over the past couple months. We were increasing it monthly for a couple of months. For us, those are classic signs that he needs an increase, more frequent waking, increased fussiness, increase in spit up and refusing feedings. DS is 11 months old and still no teeth so I don't know if teething causes an increase in spitting up, although I imagine it could since they are salivating more. Reflux meds are very weight sensitive so if he's had a growth spurt recently, that could be it. Good luck!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
nicciantunes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter will be 6 months on the 31st and she has been spitting up alot recently.I myself was wondering why? Well now that I have found this post I can connect what is going on with her. She had reflux and now is off of the meds. She was on Axid for a few months. But since she was about 5 months old I decided to take her off of it. She has been doing wonderful up until now. The pink cheaks, excess drooling, crying and moaning along with the uneasyness explains everything. She is teething. So I would say that the reflux has returned because of that. I have so anticipated this moment. LOL
nicciantunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menfusse View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Axid is along the same lines as Zantac. The dosage is very weight sensitive, so it may be just that he needs a higher dose. That being said, teething does cause reflux to flare and cause more spit up. They are drooling more and swallowing more and that creates more pressure on the tummy and thus more reflux. My 1st dd was a happy spitter and it always got so much worse when she was teething.

My youngest has very severe reflux and anything like teething or a cold always made it worse.

I'd say it's time to check the dosage for his weight and maybe prop his crib while he's teething if you can.

I was going to say the same things! Axid is like Zantac, which is VERY weight senstitive and teething does make the reflux worse.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote