Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ultrasounds Safe or Not???

I have had at least 2 US with each of my PGs, sometimes more depending on my circumstances of my pgs. All 6 (soon to be 7 in Jan) have been fine. I agree getting excessive (especially if unnecessary ) US should be avoided. I remember my sister worked in an OB office when she had her last and they did one every time she was in there just for fun and I thought it was ignorant.

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
AutiMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelgirl View Post
I had early (dating) ultrasounds with both of my pregnancies BC I have irregular cycles and can never be sure when I actually got pregnant. Then I had the 20 week ultrasound for both. And for dd1 I had 2 more late ultrasounds because I had lost 50 pounds and they were worried about her size/development. Both of my girls were born with no issues and have no issues now at 3 and almost 2. good luck on your choice!

ETA: oh I just realized this is a DDC group thread! Sorry for the crash mamas!

Well I for one don't mind the "crash" I sure appreciate you comment. Thanks mama!

Want to legally earn free gift cards from Amazon, PayPal, Walmart, Target and many more? Join me at Swagbucks!

AutiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
AutiMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I believe that ultrasounds are still only recommended if medically necessary. Now obviously despite this recommendation the majority of mainstream people have more than is medically necessary. In fact one OBgyn office we went to offered a souvenir ultrasound. It was a video of the ultrasound. Not medically necessary so obviously even doctors don't care. However since, as a pp mentioned, we still don't know the log term affects of ultrasounds plus the medical recommendation to limit them to medically necessary ones I think it would be a good idea to lean towards being conservative and doing only what is necessary rather than wanting just one more picture or getting a video.

Sorry I crashed as well. Didn't realize I was DDC.

Thanks mama I really appreciate your response!
I believe somewhat like you do, I still want to make sure this baby is ok but not have more than one short US if possible.

Want to legally earn free gift cards from Amazon, PayPal, Walmart, Target and many more? Join me at Swagbucks!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
AutiMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812ajack View Post
I have had at least 2 US with each of my PGs, sometimes more depending on my circumstances of my pgs. All 6 (soon to be 7 in Jan) have been fine. I agree getting excessive (especially if unnecessary ) US should be avoided. I remember my sister worked in an OB office when she had her last and they did one every time she was in there just for fun and I thought it was ignorant.

Awe congrats mama on #7!!!!
I agree one to make sure everything is okay and then no more if not necessary ... I just hope that one is okay?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

I've had at least 2 with each of my 5 kids and as many as 6 with one (most were super quick peeks for that one. He had been breech and manually turned, so they peeked every week to confirm he was head down.)

Of my 5 kids, I have 3 that are school age and all 3 have tested gifted. All 3 are straight A students and the 12yo and 14yo are in advanced classes. The one that had 6 ultrasounds is SUPER smart. He tested gifted in all areas they tested him in! He's also the star of his soccer team. He was the starting forward on the middle school team in 6th grade! He was 11!!!!

The younger 2 are also bright and creative, they're just too young to have it formally acknowledged.

No evidence of damage here.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

The studies you are being pointed to are about ultrasounds extreme capabilities. The frequencies used in any diagnostic scan are not allowed to be high enough to create the circumstances you are concerned with. Cavitation is the heating of cells from sound waves and it is possible, it is not possible with today's equipment (or even the equipment of decades ago). The settings won't even go to a level high enough to produce those effects. (well, maybe if you sat with the machine on and held the probe in one spot for HOURS on end without moving it) It's also important to know that diagnostic scans are pulsed wave, they do not constantly send out sound. They actually listen for return signals 99% of the time they are on. There are therapeutic scans that are continuous wave and other types of diagnostic scanning that is continuous wave, those tests have very different risks and benefits though.
You need to make sure what you are reading out there is specific. Ultrasound is a very broad term and so much research out there is not based on the type of imaging used in the type of test you would be having on an unborn baby.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in

Last edited by Pikemommy; 08-02-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
The studies you are being pointed to are about ultrasounds extreme capabilities. The frequencies used in any diagnostic scan are not allowed to be high enough to create the circumstances you are concerned with. Cavitation is the heating of cells from sound waves and it is possible, it is not possible with today's equipment (or even the equipment of decades ago). The settings won't even go to a level high enough to produce those effects. (well, maybe if you sat with the machine on and held the probe in one spot for HOURS on end without moving it) It's also important to know that diagnostic scans are pulsed wave, they do not constantly send out sound. They actually listen for return signals 99% of the time they are on. There are therapeutic scans that are continuous wave and other types of diagnostic scanning that is continuous wave, those tests have very different risks and benefits though.
You need to make sure what you are reading out there is specific. Ultrasound is a very broad term and so much research out there is not based on the type of imaging used in the type of test you would be having on an unborn baby.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had more ultrasounds than I could count on all my fingers and toes with each of 2 of my kids due to my high risk pregnancies and my kids are fine. I even had a ton of hip X-rays with our 3rd when I was unknowingly 5 weeks pregnancy and it completely freaked me out but she's fine.

I think ultrasounds done by reputable techs using good equipment are totally safe. I've read differing opinions on the independent ultrasound places that specialize in keepsake ultrasounds though.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #19
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Chocolate View Post
I've had more ultrasounds than I could count on all my fingers and toes with each of 2 of my kids due to my high risk pregnancies and my kids are fine. I even had a ton of hip X-rays with our 3rd when I was unknowingly 5 weeks pregnancy and it completely freaked me out but she's fine.

I think ultrasounds done by reputable techs using good equipment are totally safe. I've read differing opinions on the independent ultrasound places that specialize in keepsake ultrasounds though.
The safeguards on the equipment, new/old are the same, no matter the tech doing it. The problem with independent places is that the techs are trained to take pretty pictures, not diagnose/find anomalies. Most reputable keepsake businesses require the customer to have a diagnostic scan done before they do a test. At the very least they make the customer sign wavers not holding them responsible for abnormalities not documented, and verifying the purpose of the scan is entertainment and not diagnostic.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #20
jko+jeo
Registered Users

My doc wanted me to have one every time I came in but I had heard that there could be side effects. I will say when I talked it over with my nurse midwife she said she likes to have the 20 week US because if there are any issues that they need to be preferred for at birth that is when you would see it. We had ours and everything was fine. We don't plan on having anymore US.
jko+jeo is offline   Reply With Quote