Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #3731
Glassgal
Registered Users

Re: I'm a thread killer!

That whole scene paints a pretty funny picture to be honest. I picture you all pregnant and stuff with this broom running back and forth, waving it around in the air while this cow is giving you the stink eye. I hope you get her back OK. Is there anyway you can get behind her from a ways away so she does not spook in the wrong direction? It sounds like you guys might need to get a herding dog. You know for when this happens again. Plus they are great for keeping the kids in line.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #3732
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The herding dog is an excelent idea. You would need one trained though. We always used them for herding an of bf's cattle. Very effective. They need training and experience. You could easily put out an add at the feed store!

You did get her back though right? The broom and pool stick are a good method i have to tell you. The thing is you need something that be an extention of your arm.

Hope it turned out ok. Do you have just cattle fence up?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #3733
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Hi Gals,

It's now nearly 11am and still no cow The neighbours didnt come home last night!

Sarah we have cattle fencing and an electric fence on top with barbed wire - the little stinker just aimed for the lowest point and jumped.

At around 5:30 I could see them. They were both sleeping snuggled up against the fence - one on each side. The poor girl wants to come home. DH is afraid to take the fence down in the spot she jumped though because it is likely going to be a domino effect - the posts are held by the tight wires. I have NO IDEA how our neighbours have managed to use the same fences to keep their cows in. We are going to have to talk to them asap about replacing the fences or shoring them up at the very least. DH is going to run another electric line on our side too.

So our "new" plan is to lure her home with her sister. Dh got the "good" cow to go into an upper pasture where he could cut open the fence without the posts coming down. There is a gate there which can swing the wrong way to cover the part of the fence he cut open. The plan is to wait VERY quietly until she tries to come in and then swing the gate shut the wrong way until he can repair the fence.

It would be a LOT easier if our neighbours were home. There cows are agressive and keep getting in the way. AND their yard isn't pasture it's forest! There are multiple "trails" through the trees - we need more people to block the paths we don't want her to take.

__________________________________________________ _______

SHE'S HOME!

The wait and see approach didn't work so against my better judgement DH recruited our older boys and the three of them, plus her sister, and our dog got her home! No-one was actually in danger - we can't get within 15 feet of her - but it "looked" scary from the window. Our oldest "chased her through the trees - he is faster and more able to scramble through" - Dh turned her around when she tried to get past the point in the fence that was cut open. AND Little big DS snapped the gate shut the wrong way once she was in! No brooms or pool cues this time - just lots of "star wars" type noises and hissing to keep her moving

DH is now repairing fences with little big DS (that would be Cale) - we are going to keep the girls in the upper pasture for now. No more looking out my window wall and watching the cows But hopefully that will keep them away from the low point in the fence until we can fix it.

Thanks for all your good thoughts! I am so relieved! Now back to waiting for baby.....

Last edited by mg5g; 04-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #3734
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay! Team work wins again! I support your decision to get everyone involved. Some situations call for it! I'm sure none of the kids were in any danger!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #3735
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So glad they are safe!!! I hope your neighbors are helpful when they return!!

Also hoping that baby makes an entrance soon.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #3736
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Thank you Holly!

I'm starting to feel like all my posts are about me complaining and stressing. I am SUPER sorry mamas. Thank you all for being there for me!

I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster. Maybe a bit of PPD - early. I know there is a name for that. Everything is upsetting me or making me cry or making me angry.

I wish we all lived closer! I need some IRL friends who actually care.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #3737
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No they are not Melissa! You say whatever you are feeling or going through, you hear me. It's ok, we're here for you hun. I too wish we all lived closer. It would be so nice to have IRL friend that just "get" eachother. You all are all so respectfull and kind. I believe we would get along quite well. Reminds me of the song, "we all need somebody to lean on". Dorky sure, but so true. We could all complain, laugh, share stories, and support eachother. How nice it would be, lol. I'd so call babysitting! The more kids, the merrier for me, haha! One of you could teach my hard head how to spell!

Is something wrong Melissa? Did you want to share something hun? We're in this forum to be helpfull to one another, never judgeing. I'm always here if you just need a private word too. You also have a lot going on righ now. We can only handle so much alone.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #3738
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it sounds like you've had A LOT going on...which gives you plenty of reasons to have a little something to complain about. My life is super boring right now...the only thing I can really complain about is the weather.

I'd love to live closer too...I know no one irl that is excited to cd...2 friends do it...one only does it because she's cheap (she only uses flats and gerber plastic pants) and the other one has a super minimal stash of best bottoms and has no desire for more. They don't share "the love".

Oh look...I found something to complain about. Lol

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #3739
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha! I actually don't know anyone. We have been here around 5 yrs. DH has some cousins but they have no intention or growing up, just stoners to the core and love to party. They are super nice people. We just have nada in common. We once made a camping trip with them and they brought all their party budds. One older dude od'd, and I was not do'ing mouth to mouth. He had asperated and his mouth was all foamy. Plus all the heavy drugs that went on in his tent. No. I still feel bad, but I did compressions till the paramedics arrived. He was too far gone anyhow, you could tell by the marbeling color of the skin. I had to do something though. never again will we even visit with them now. We knew they smoked up, just not so heavy into drugs and partying. What a sad situation for their girl. They smoke in the house. We were over there for their dad's family gathering and I went through the house to sit down to nurse. They told me to cover the baby and I had to run through. We don't even visit DH's uncle now. Don't wanna even be close. You can smell it when you walk by in the store. So, no friends. We have MIL and FIL though. They moved here with us. We just really need friends our age here. I met a cpl loacal momas, but none were interested in being friends. One moma just moved here and contacted me, but took a cpl months to reply and now it's been a month and nothing. She wanted to meet and have a play date which is hard with my social anxiety. But I said sure and I guess she's just buisy. Or doesn't like that I'm lower class, lol. Oh well. Time will tell. Perhaps if I take some things to farmer's market this year, I can meet someone? Or when we get to selling eggs and chicks? People like all of us seem to be a dime a dozen. Kinda old school.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #3740
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Hey mama's.

Holly where are you from your siggy doesn't say?
And - don't hate me We aren't CD right now. My 2 yo was full time until my 1 yo was born. I gradually stopped when we moved. I couldn't sort out a wash routine and my new washer is so freaking small I can't keep up on laundry so I haven't re-started. Maybe once baby arrives we will try again.

No Sarah nothing "wrong" I'm just tired of waiting for baby. In two days she will beat the record for longest pregnancy I've had. It wouldn't be a big deal but the month of contractions and being SO tired are wearing on me. I bought an "entire pregnancy" supply of pre-natal vitamins -- the store is in the states and over an hour away -- and I ran out yesterday

AND - HOW DARE YOU!!! Sarah don't you EVER worry about your "class" again. You are one of the classiest people I have ever had the pleasure of "meeting". If someone is too stupid to want to be friends with you because you aren't fancy enough they aren't worth your effort. Also - wow what a horrible experience for you when that person passed! I can totally understand not wanting to do CPR - sometimes if it is too late anyway keeping yourself safe matters more.

So it sounds like we are going to get our garden planted soon. Most people around here plant sometime this month or early next. It is still to soon for hanging baskets but I'd like to get some of those too. The people before us had huge ones on the deck and they were so pretty. I have a black thumb so I hope I don't spend the money just to end up killing them!