Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
AngelicasMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
The daycare toddler I watch whines a lot. I don't know what to do with her some days. Take the other day for example.
She was whining but I didn't know why (which is the case most of the time) and I read on here someone mentioned that if their kids whine, they send them to their room until they calm down so I put her in her playpen and told her when she calmed down she could come out.
That lasted less than a minute. She threw an all out fit.
I tried it a few more times afterwards when the wining continued, even warning her once that she would have to go sit by herself to whine if she didn't stop and the fit started immediately.
I don't think this would work for her because she WILL NOT calm down on her own by being put on time out. Only thing that works is me holding her. And as soon as I put her down she throws a fit again. And I refuse to hold her for hours when I have my own DD (who gets jealous when I hold daycare toddler for long periods of time, and starts crying and wanting to be picked up when daycare toddler throws a fit)
and I have a few other kids to watch.
Any tips?
(Just wanted to add, when she is whining, she has been changed, fed, given water etc and there is no reason for the whining other than not getting what she wants, or being tired but already had a nap.)
She is 19 months old.

Advertisement

Last edited by AngelicasMommy; 02-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.
AngelicasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: what do you do about whining?

Lots of times I ignore it. I make sure they're not needing something, and go about my business as if the whining isn't happening. That's a tough age, though, so there probably isn't going to be a quick fix. And, unless her parents do the same as you, you might not see a difference.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
AngelicasMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh I've tried ignoring it but its the same as when I put her in her playpen it just keeps going louder and louder and it gets to the point where when I finally pick her up, she's so upset she's sniffling and gasping for air and just very upset.
AngelicasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Honestly I'd say that 99% of the time when my daughter whines, she's craving my attention. And the only way to get it to stop is to stop and give her some attention.

If I have to be doing something else, I try to involve her. If I can't involve her, I sing to her because it soothes her.

She's 16 months, so roughly the same age. I truly think most of the time, it's just a cry for plain ole' attention.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's a bit different when it's a daycare child and your own child.
Does she talk much? Is she whining because she's frustrated about something or does she just want to be held all the time? One thing that worked really well for our kids was baby signing, then we could tell them "don't whine, say please" or whatever. I used the My Baby Can Talk dvds. She'll probably pick them up really quickly at that age. I think it was around that age that we started repeating to our kids all the time that whining doesn't get you anything.
I put my kids in their rooms for tantrums or excessive whining, and yes as soon as I do they go ballistic. But that can be hard when you have the other kids around.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

19 months? I don't do timeouts, which is what I would consider the pack n play thing to have been. I would just ignore whining and move on. Any attention is positive attention at that age.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicasMommy View Post
The daycare toddler I watch whines a lot. I don't know what to do with her some days. Take the other day for example.
She was whining but I didn't know why (which is the case most of the time) and I read on here someone mentioned that if their kids whine, they send them to their room until they calm down so I put her in her playpen and told her when she calmed down she could come out.
That lasted less than a minute. She threw an all out fit.
I tried it a few more times afterwards when the wining continued, even warning her once that she would have to go sit by herself to whine if she didn't stop and the fit started immediately.
I don't think this would work for her because she WILL NOT calm down on her own by being put on time out. Only thing that works is me holding her. And as soon as I put her down she throws a fit again. And I refuse to hold her for hours when I have my own DD (who gets jealous when I hold daycare toddler for long periods of time, and starts crying and wanting to be picked up when daycare toddler throws a fit)
and I have a few other kids to watch.
Any tips?
(Just wanted to add, when she is whining, she has been changed, fed, given water etc and there is no reason for the whining other than not getting what she wants, or being tired but already had a nap.)
She is 19 months old.
Oh my heavens how I understand!! I am in the same boat except the day care kid I watch is 2 and he is speech delayed and gets frustrated b/c of it. BUT, he also throws fits that are just for attention (and I give him a lot of attention) or when he does'nt get his way (no, you can't color on the walls, sorry buddy.

How long have you been watching her? I think it takes longer than people think for kids to truly and completely adjust to a new place.
If she is really getting herself worked up, I wouldn't ignore it (and, yes I do think ignoring whining is appropriate at times, so I'm not against ignoring per se.) Try to make her laugh, get silly w/ her, involve her and don't get frustrated. It can be so hard to do, but when I do that rather than think "Oh my God can't you just let me fold this shirt?", everyone is happier and the kids go no their merry way to play sooner, leaving me to do my housework.

Also, last week, my dc kid was I.M.P.O.S.S.I.B.L.E. Turned out he had a double ear infection.

But, if you ask my DH, he'd say I "coddle" them. Although he's learned not to voice that opinion.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

I explain to my daughter that I can't understand her when she whines. Like a PP said, she usually feels like I'm not paying attention to her so I make sure she understands that I am. If I can, I'll stop what I'm doing and wait for her to talk to me like a big girl, so that she really understands that I am listening to her.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Honestly I'd say that 99% of the time when my daughter whines, she's craving my attention. And the only way to get it to stop is to stop and give her some attention.

If I have to be doing something else, I try to involve her. If I can't involve her, I sing to her because it soothes her.

She's 16 months, so roughly the same age. I truly think most of the time, it's just a cry for plain ole' attention.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicasMommy View Post
Oh I've tried ignoring it but its the same as when I put her in her playpen it just keeps going louder and louder and it gets to the point where when I finally pick her up, she's so upset she's sniffling and gasping for air and just very upset.
heres the thing though EVERY time you give in and finally pick her up you let her know that if she keeps it up long enough you will cave. not a good thing to let her know.

I try the whole first "warning" -Liam I cant understand you when you talk to me like that use a little indoor voice like I am.

second time- Liam I cant understand so when you are done and ready to talk and play let me know.

third time- I just ignore him. and fits yep step over/around him in a way he knows I am not playing his game and leave the room..

and any attention is positive and a win in toddlers eyes.