Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for that link
Yeah I was at meijers getting stuff for the puppy and I saw the toothbrush. I thought it was score, till I got home and read the back lol!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

We also went in with low expectations. Our local pedi dental office is awesome and let us try to do the cleaning over the course of a couple months. They would try to do a little cleaning but would stop when my son got upset so he wouldn't have a negative association with going to the dentist. But it ended up not working with all the oral problems my son has so now we have an appt with a children's hospital to have his teeth cleaned while he's asleep.
My son is 4 and has autism. He has oral motor delays and facial paralysis that affects his mouth (among many other things but the paralysis prevents him from sticking out his tongue at all so it makes brushing and cleaning teeth very hard) and I think this will end up being best to get a complete cleaning.
Our local dentist said they recommend doing the cleaning at the hospital while asleep once a year. They can take X-rays and do everything at once with out him moving. My son doesn't eat food (he's NPO, can't chew and has a GJ feeding tube that is his sole source of nutrition) but he vomits so I worry about his teeth.

mom to 3 girls and one little boy
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for sharing. I did know that was an option. Although it's sounds a little scary. Glad he only has to go once a year!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you know anyone locally with a child ask them for recommendations. When you call the dentist tell them DS has asd and of they have a dentist with experience.
I have always taken DS to a pediatric dentist but he would never handle it well and they did their best. Well we moved so I was worried about the new dentist and asked friends for recommendations, and a friend with a son with similar issues as my DS recommended a local pediatric dentist. DS let them clean his teeth and do x-rays. They were SO great with him.
So I would ask around.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ASD and the dentist

my dd isn't diagnosed but definitely has sensory issues and extreme anxiety. We go to a pediatric dentist. I wish they would do what some of your dentists did, and take it slower. But she had cavities the first time we went and we had to deal with those. She has to have regular (every 6 month cleanings). She never cooperates and hates strangers touching her. I stay with her the whole time and hold her arms and legs while the dentist just gets it over with and cleans her teeth. It literally takes less than 5 minutes. I hate it but I think it's necessary given her tooth history (6 crowns by the time she was 2 years old).
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote