Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #21
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think I have to give up my dog

I am so sorry you have to say good bye to your dog but I am so glad you found a great place to find a new home for him.

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay let me start by saying that I will play the devil's advpcate. I helped start a local humane group and am going to be a lifetime member. I can't tell you how many times people have called on us to help them find a home for their dogs for the same reason. Now I am not saying you shouldn't do that but what I want to say is that you should exhaust all other options and use placement as a last resort. More times that not their is an underlying reason for a dog 'nipping' than out of sheer nastiness. Most dogs can be taught not to do that. I am speaking from experience. I have 12 dogs and 11 cats and not to mention 5 kids. If I got rid of my dogs each time they nipped one of my kids, I wouldn't have any left. I would advise you to speak to your vet first then seek the advice of a dog trainer. The vet may want to make sure there is no medical cause for the nipping. ( I use the term nipping loosely because when dogs bite out of meanness they usually draw some blood). I am not sure what type of breed you have or how old your dog is but if you have had her/him for some time then they at least deserve the chance to be taught not to nip. That is just my opinion and I am somewhat biased because of being in a rescue. I have at least half of my dogs because of some behavior that their previous owners didn't like and didn't want to try and correct. If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them for you. If you have tried everything and still feel like you need to get rid of her then I would suggest posting flyers in your vets office. But I agree with what someone mentioned earlier, ask for a fee and references. When we adopt our foster babies out we have potential adopters fill out an extensive form asking various questions as well as providing at least 3 references. Sorry for being so long winded but I am very passionate about all furbabies.
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #23
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh sweetie, i know you have worried about this before. i hope you are able to find a happy new home for your fur baby.