Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Water Question for 10 m old

Hello,

My BF'd 10 1/2 mo old baby has about 2 "meals" a day of fruit veg or meat diced up pretty small. I offer water when she eats too. She has BM from the tap the rest of the time.

However, my MIL is here and keeps saying the baby is "thirsty." It got me wondering, how much water should she be having now?

FWIW she does not get bottles and has thus far refused sippy and straw cups. I use a regular plastic cup. I do NOT want to use a bottle.

Thanks!

I x-posted in the new forum too...

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Re: Water Question for 10 m old

This 'thirsty' bit is something I think all grandmothers and mils are required to annoy moms about. My mom says this too - she 'looks' thirsty. WTH does that mean?

Margo is still predominantly BFed. I offer a cup with water at each of her two small meals, just as you do. I give her the sippy cup to drink water from as she wishes if we are outside or in the hot car. Her pee diapers are plentiful and she shows no other signs of needing more liquid. Trust your own judgment - you know your child

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
MamaMary920
Registered Users
seller

My doctor recommended 2-3 ounces a day for the flouride. I don't know, it's getting hot here so I give him a sippy of water when we're outside to keep him hydrated and let him get used to drinking from something that's not me
MamaMary920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If baby is allowed to nurse on demand the "need" is really unfounded.. but you can offer a bit here and there in a sippy and it wont hurt her (or your supply) since she's older. Here's an exerpt from this resource.

Quote:
For babies past the newborn stage
Too much water can interfere with breastfeeding because it fills baby up so that he nurses less. Babies need the nutrition and calories in breastmilk to grow - water has none of these.
Breastmilk has all the water your baby needs, even in very hot weather.
When your 4-6 month old baby is learning to use a cup, giving him a few sips of water a couple of times a day (no more than 2 ounces per 24 hours) is fine and fun.
Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water with his solids - some babies need this to prevent constipation.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Your baby doesn't need any water as long as she nurses as much as she wants. Your foremilk satisfies her thirst first while the fatty hindmilk satisfies her hunger.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought so...

My MIL does say that she "looks" thirsty. If DD screeches at something (the cat, or whatever she sees that she wants) my own mom immediately asks urgently "did you give her real food? She sounds hungry!" Yes, people, she gets solids and believe me, BM is REAL food!!