Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Kentucky mom
Registered Users
seller

BLW/solids help!

I have recently started trying BLW but DD (7 mo) seems to show interest and even gets it in her mouth then gags herself until she throws up so then I have tried giving her a small bite or two of pureed but she won't eat that either. I don't know if I should just keep trying BLW every week or so or wait longer? She is still EBF except every few days offering this (but not accepting it).

Advertisement

Kentucky mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Stouffers3
Registered Users

My Mood:
She's probably not ready. My youngest DS didn't really start getting it until about 8 months
Bruce (12/09, born at 33 weeks), MC 01/14 Missing my Angel
Oliver (04/01/15 our Rainbow )
MTHFR, Fibromyalgia
Stouffers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouffers3
She's probably not ready. My youngest DS didn't really start getting it until about 8 months
yeah. I don't even start until 8 1/2 months.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Kentucky mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: BLW/solids help!

ok thank u thats really what i thought but have been getting pressured by family to start solids...the other baby in family is 1 mo older than DD and they've been feeding her for a long time now!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky mom
ok thank u thats really what i thought but have been getting pressured by family to start solids...the other baby in family is 1 mo older than DD and they've been feeding her for a long time now!
well, people will try to pressure you to do all sorts of things. Your the mom. Pull rank. Also, stand confident in your decisions.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #6
Mama2fluffybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you still trying blw? My 3yo didn't really start to eat the food until she was about 9m, we started blw when she was 6.5m. There's a saying that goes 'food before one is just for fun' babies get all they need from bm or ff. People (especially grandparents) are set in their ways so when you try a different approach it may seem confusing for them at first. My mom was a little uncomfortable with my choice of blw at first, but now my dd is 3y and eats everything and my ds is 8m and loves food (he's so different from dd, she mostly played and gaged at first, he eats like a pro)
Mama2fluffybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
Kentucky mom
Registered Users
seller

Yes we are still trying BLW/ and she is getting better 10 mo now but occasionally still gags and throws up but not as much. I am still BFing too but she is funny some foods she loves and eats fine then others she gags and throws up still.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
lemieuxcrew
Registered Users
seller

If she is interested and putting her own food in her mouth then yes i would say she is ready. gagging (not choking) is a normal response to foods in young age at first. but throwing up is obviously not a good thing. i would speak with my pediatrician to be sure. maybe an over sensitive gag reflex? if all else fails just wait a while longer though. all of babies needs through one year of age are met with bm. so there isnt a particular need to be aquainted with solids until closer to that age and even then its a process. also have you tried just once offering a puree to see if its the same physical response? i mean just to see if its a texture issue.
lemieuxcrew is offline   Reply With Quote