Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Missyrose2321
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to Start Solids

Its been 6 years so I'm really not familiar with starting solids. Last I heard the recommendation was to wait until 6 months, but at our 4 month visit the doctor told us to start. My daughter can sit up assisted pretty well. We also want to try baby led weaning this time around.

Advertisement

Missyrose2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When to Start Solids

I pretty much ignore recommendations and go by kid cues. I figure there's no way the recommendations can be worth anything since they change them all the time.

The earliest we started was three months. The latest was seven months. We've done purees, homemade mashed foods, and baby led weaning....I'm of the opinion that there is no one 'right' answer so I say do what you and kiddo feel comfortable with when the time feels right!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I pretty much ignore recommendations and go by kid cues. I figure there's no way the recommendations can be worth anything since they change them all the time.

The earliest we started was three months. The latest was seven months. We've done purees, homemade mashed foods, and baby led weaning....I'm of the opinion that there is no one 'right' answer so I say do what you and kiddo feel comfortable with when the time feels right!

Yep. This. Exactly.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Missyrose2321
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks, we've decided at this point to wait and feel better about it.
Missyrose2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Because of the challenges of maintaining a milk supply while pumping at work, we didn't start baby led weaning until 9 months; until then it was milk only.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
abh5e8
Registered Users

We are also waiting... Ds is 8.5 months. We will probably wait another couple of weeks. Then baby led weaning (which always sounds so funny... But it is the best description of how we feed our babies and toddlers.)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Ditto! I always say I'll wait till 6 months and then usually start sooner. I think I started giving my little guy tastes between 4 and 5 months, but he was showing so much interest in food I felt bad NOT letting him try. He's now almost 8 months and, while we feed him things like applesauce from time to time, I mostly let him feed himself. BLW is so much easier, IMHO.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
southernveg
Registered Users

I loved the advice from the book "The Science of Mom"- I'd recommend that to everyone!
southernveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitacat View Post
Ditto! I always say I'll wait till 6 months and then usually start sooner. I think I started giving my little guy tastes between 4 and 5 months, but he was showing so much interest in food I felt bad NOT letting him try. He's now almost 8 months and, while we feed him things like applesauce from time to time, I mostly let him feed himself. BLW is so much easier, IMHO.
This is how it went for us. DS was basically begging for food at 4 months. We let him have a little, but I wasn't interested in pushing it. Sometime in there I realized he would wake up from naps grouchy and whiny, so I started feeding him actual meals after naps and he was immediately a happier baby! I don't think my milk was running out, because I was still leaking, but maybe it was? Now, at 9 mos, he eats almost everything we eat, and lots of it.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Yep. This. Exactly.
agreed and agreed! (oops, it didn't quote the original post, but you get the idea...)

With my first I used Super Baby Food (among other resources) and was the queen of homemade baby food.

Gradually, and with each child, I've relaxed and simplified. Now, with our fourth, I ascribe more-or-less to BLW. He was super-interested in foods at 4 months and could sit up well so I started with little tastes of what we were having (I did spoon feed applesauce and yogurt... though I don't think that's technically BLW). Now I give him little bits of things to feed himself and he's had quite a variety at 8 months.

I DO think the earlier you start with "real" foods that harder it can be on babies' immature digestive systems (gassiness, constipation, etc.), so if your baby isn't really that interested in foods might as well hold off. But of course there are also foods that are gassy no matter what (hello beans and broccoli).