Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnant, can I make my own soap?

Hi frugal mama's.

I have decided our only option is to get frugal, because by next spring I will have a 4-year-old, a 2-year-old, a 14-month-old and a newborn.

One of the ways I decided to save money was make my own batches of soap because, with three baby butts to scrub nightly (and all three have sensitive skin and reactions to most commerical baby soaps - we have to buy gentle, organic baby soap for them), and one on the way, we go through tons of soap. It's really hard to think about the amount of money we currently spent on their bath products, particularly on our single-income budget! Plus, if I can do it right, I think I'll even be able to earn a little money with my soap - we have several family members and friends who adore natural, homemade soap. They've all said (without me asking!) that they would pay me for mine if I could do certain scents. So I'm really excited to try this. It seems win-win.

But here's my problem... I'm 13 weeks pregnant (as of tomorrow). My MIL insists that I couldn't possibly make any soap, because I supposedly can't handle or be near the fumes of the lye? Is this true? What would you mama's recommend?

I never thought about that. I understand that lye's nothing to mess around with of course, but I didn't think it could present harm to my pregnancy.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pregnant, can I make my own soap?

I honestly wouldn't mess around with it but only because of very active little ones. They move fast and lye burns even quicker.

I also don't bathe my children nightly. They get 2-3 bathes a week. They just are not dirty kids. They get bathes according to their activities. What about bartering with someone who does make soap? Maybe you can watch their littles ones on soap-making days in exchange for free soap? Now that would be a hot ticket!

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
lisals
Registered Users

I did it while pregnant. I just mixed the lye water outside and made sure I wasn't breathing in any fumes. I've also done it during nap times. Back when DD was taking 2 naps a day, I'd mix the lye and melt the oils during the first nap then set them outside (to make sure DD wouldn't accidentally get into them!) and let them cool til nap #2. When she went down for her afternoon nap, I'd mix them, add fragrance, and pour into molds then set them outside or in a room I don't go into much and could leave the door shut all day. I didn't want to risk raw soap near DD either.
lisals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I forget other people have kids with predictable naps. Mine NEVER had predictable naps. Not a single one of them. I could never schedule to do anything....ever.

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Suave just came out with a scent free tear-free gentle shampoo and bodywash 2 in 1. MY 8yo still uses baby wash or scent free gentle stuff usualy natural, etc. and he hasnt reacted to it yet! Not natural or organic but alot cheaper and working for us none the less!

I dont think id mess with lye while preggo. I become a little clumsy and a little absent minded

Last edited by ittybittycoconuts; 09-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry ladies, I was gonna reply last night and my computer froze up. Eventually just turned it off and went to bed. Ugh.

But thanks so much for the replies/advice, mama's! I got some good suggestions.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about soap making and safety, but you might try Dr. Bronner's for natural, thrifty soap.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

lye does not have fumes. It is poisonous though...do it only when the lo's are all asleep.

Its fairly easy, but takes some practice to get it right. Pick up all your supplies (spoons, containers, pots, etc..) at thrift stores b/c you cant use your regular kitchen utensils.

I make soap all the time while PG. If you can refrain from licking the spoon while mixing - your fine . You just need to be careful (gloves and goggles).

Soap making isnt particularly cheap though...make sure you thoroughly research what it will cost you to make small batches, vs what you pay now.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
lye does not have fumes. It is poisonous though...do it only when the lo's are all asleep.

Its fairly easy, but takes some practice to get it right. Pick up all your supplies (spoons, containers, pots, etc..) at thrift stores b/c you cant use your regular kitchen utensils.

I make soap all the time while PG. If you can refrain from licking the spoon while mixing - your fine . You just need to be careful (gloves and goggles).

Soap making isnt particularly cheap though...make sure you thoroughly research what it will cost you to make small batches, vs what you pay now.
I disagree on the first part, it does release some fumes, when liquid is added, depending on the liquid it seems sometimes it can be much worse then water.But I don't think they are a huge issue. The liquid it self is what you have to be very cautious about.

I agree with everything else you said, especially the second bolded. Soap making can be cheap if you make Lard and Wood Ash unscented soap from your own land, or use simple ingredients, but oils, scents and a basic set up can get costly. Also most people throw out a lot of bad batches when they start, as the science can get tricky. It can be done, but isn't always a frugal start.

Last edited by Fairycat; 09-22-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
weedsandwildflowers
Registered Users

I noticed that the date on this post is from a long time ago. I am interested in what happened.

I have all the ingredients to make soap the cold process way, but have been afraid to try - 1 because I have a 2 year old running around and 2 because handmade soap can be a little harsh.

I actually make all the soap my family uses with an organic goat's milk gycerin soap base that I buy from a soap making supplier. It is organic and gentle. I add oatmeal powder, and essential oils and other stuff according to the need at the time. I do sell it at craft fairs along with some of my other bath goods and candles. Have you thought about doing melt and pour - it is safe and produces a gentle bar of soap.
weedsandwildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote