Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
gheera47
Registered Users

Trying to go 100% dairy free

I'm being told to go 100% dairy free. 😱. My little girl is 5 months old and miserable off and on. We've been to the doctor's twice recently. It's not teething or an ear infection. It's painful gas. Simethicon helps. I'm working hard to burp her well. But my poor little girl wakes up screaming, arching her back until the gas drops kick in or until she has a massive gas powered diaper.

To keep breastfeeding, I had a long conversation with a lactation consultant yesterday. Both the Dr and lactation consultant thinks I should try to go 100% dairy free for at least 3 weeks. No obvious dairy, no hidden dairy.

Our food budget is pretty tight. I hunt down deals and stock up when possible. I make most of our food from basics, you'd think this would be easy. Right now the budget doesn't allow for me to run out and buy a bunch of dairy alternatives when we are already stocked on milk, yogurt, and cheese. Not to mention the long list of foods that have less obvious dairy. We buy our bread, bagels, rolls, etc from a local food service wearhouse for $1 a 32 oz loaf. All these contain dairy. Yes, I can make bread, but it never makes a good sandwich slice.

I'm shopping for fresh produce later this week and can pick up some milk-alternatives, but soy-cheese, and soy-yogurt are out of the question. Any suggestions on how I can get the most bang for my buck on a few dairy alternatives?

Thank you

Advertisement

gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Trying to go 100% dairy free

I wanted to say that Gerber Soothe drops helped both of my babies with painful gas. They are super expensive, though. About $30 for one bottle. One bottle lasted the whole infant stage, however, because you only give them a few drops at a time.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did dairy free for 2.5 years for my daughter who is allergic. It can be really hard. For my baby, she was okay if I had butter or a little bit of milk baked into a bread or something, but not cheese or yogurt, etc. We ate Asian food (stir-fry over brown rice, etc.), or bean burritos (I left the cheese and sour cream off of mine and let the rest of the family put their own on) or whole-grain pizza (leaving cheese off a portion). It may be a good opportunity to get good at making bread, homemade tortillas, etc. I would focus on whole grains and legumes. Also eggs are good protein and fairly inexpensive. Meat is easy but costs a lot more. We were in the same boat financially when I was doing it and I will say, it can be really hard, but it can be done. Oh, another thing you can do is make your own milk substitute. Homemade coconut milk is really easy and relatively inexpensive, and it tastes much better than store-bought. I would think homemade nut milks would be similar. I hope that is helpful! Good luck mama!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
gheera47
Registered Users

Part of my problem is that I stuffed my stand alone freezer to the gills over the summer when my husband had done extra work. I probably have 3 months worth of dinners in there and most of them have dairy in some form or another. Burritos with cheese, quiche with half n half, wild rice with nuts and cheese, stuffed cheesy bell peppers, enchiladas, meatballs, taco bakes, broccoli bakes, chicken ala king, corn bread muffins, zucchini muffins, banana muffins, French toast, waffles, pancakes, breakfast burritos, the list goes on and on.

With my little one being so fussy the last 3-4 weeks I've relied heavily on the meals I premade. I feel like there is nothing on hand to eat that I don't have to make from scratch. Ugh!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheera47 View Post
Part of my problem is that I stuffed my stand alone freezer to the gills over the summer when my husband had done extra work. I probably have 3 months worth of dinners in there and most of them have dairy in some form or another. Burritos with cheese, quiche with half n half, wild rice with nuts and cheese, stuffed cheesy bell peppers, enchiladas, meatballs, taco bakes, broccoli bakes, chicken ala king, corn bread muffins, zucchini muffins, banana muffins, French toast, waffles, pancakes, breakfast burritos, the list goes on and on.

With my little one being so fussy the last 3-4 weeks I've relied heavily on the meals I premade. I feel like there is nothing on hand to eat that I don't have to make from scratch. Ugh!
That's so frustrating. Do you have an Aldi's? Not to stock up but maybe just for a few things to tide you over. Almond milk at least.

I would focus on what you can have and make yourself simple "get through the three weeks" kind of meals to quickly sustain yourself.

Oatmeal w/Almond milk (any frozen fruit in freezer?)
Pot of soup you can make in slow cooker could last you a few meals.
Big salads with meat.
Make some 5 minute artisan bread. It might not be the best for sandwiches but it will keep you fed.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

That does make it trickier. Honestly, I would go ahead and use the food you have stored to feed the rest of the family, and just get non-dairy food for yourself. Figure out something easy YOU like, and make it work. It is harder when you have to feed the whole family non-dairy, but since you have all that stuff ready...I would just use it and make something simple for myself. Scrambled or fried eggs on whole wheat toast (get non-dairy bread just for you and hide it), tuna, peanut butter, or egg salad sandwiches (mayo is non-dairy), spaghetti with meat sauce, breakfast burritos without cheese...it's just for 3 weeks, right?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Are you sure the bread has dairy in it? I make bread some and none of the recipes I use have milk...I think? I'll have to recheck but I can't remember adding milk. I wouldn't just assume the bread you're buying has dairy unless it says it on the label for sure.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
gheera47
Registered Users

It's on the label. I think they use it to up the protien and as a dough conditioner, alot of times it's labeled as whey. Several of my recipes for "sandwich" bread have milk or non-fat dry milk. I think it helps make it fluffier. My bread is always dense whole grain stuff. My family likes it as a snack but voted for store bought.

If you've got a great whole grain bread recipe, I'd love to try it.

Last edited by gheera47; 10-24-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

The recipe I use is from the Tassajara Bread Book. It has fantastic instructions and is pretty cheap on Amazon because it is old.

Mix 6 cups lukewarm water with 2 T yeast, 2/3 - 3/4 cup honey, and 8ish cups whole wheat flour in LARGE bowl. Stir 100 times, incorporating air into batter. Let rest at least 20 minutes (until it is fluffy).

Stir in 2 1/2 T salt and 2/3 - 3/4 cup oil. Stir in additional whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, with a wooden spoon, until dough forms a ball. Turn out onto floured countertop and knead, adding more flour as needed, until dough is moist and barely tacky. Put into greased bowl, turning to cover both sides of dough, cover with a dish towel, and let rise until double.

Shape dough into four large loaves and place in greased bread pans (I think mine are 4.5 x 9 inches). Let rise until dough is 1-2 inches above the top of the bread pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven with racks at lowest setting for 30 minutes, then turn out onto clean dish towel to cool. Let cool 30 minutes before cutting.

It takes practice, for sure, but once you get good at it the recipe makes a really nice, sliceable loaf. I've tried other recipes with additional ingredients (eggs, milk, etc.) and I just keep coming back to this one, it's just so basic and GOOD. And it freezes great once it is cooled. Just defrost on the counter for an hour or two.

Good luck! I hope you can get it worked out, tummy troubles in babies are just so sad!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
The recipe I use is from the Tassajara Bread Book. It has fantastic instructions and is pretty cheap on Amazon because it is old.

Mix 6 cups lukewarm water with 2 T yeast, 2/3 - 3/4 cup honey, and 8ish cups whole wheat flour in LARGE bowl. Stir 100 times, incorporating air into batter. Let rest at least 20 minutes (until it is fluffy).

Stir in 2 1/2 T salt and 2/3 - 3/4 cup oil. Stir in additional whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, with a wooden spoon, until dough forms a ball. Turn out onto floured countertop and knead, adding more flour as needed, until dough is moist and barely tacky. Put into greased bowl, turning to cover both sides of dough, cover with a dish towel, and let rise until double.

Shape dough into four large loaves and place in greased bread pans (I think mine are 4.5 x 9 inches). Let rise until dough is 1-2 inches above the top of the bread pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven with racks at lowest setting for 30 minutes, then turn out onto clean dish towel to cool. Let cool 30 minutes before cutting.

It takes practice, for sure, but once you get good at it the recipe makes a really nice, sliceable loaf. I've tried other recipes with additional ingredients (eggs, milk, etc.) and I just keep coming back to this one, it's just so basic and GOOD. And it freezes great once it is cooled. Just defrost on the counter for an hour or two.

Good luck! I hope you can get it worked out, tummy troubles in babies are just so sad!
I'll have to give that one a try. Thank you.
Amazon has used copies for less than $6. I put is in my wish list.

Last edited by gheera47; 10-25-2017 at 11:15 AM.