Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #81
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
PS. Zero based budgets and blind debits......
Currently, we have a tolltag on both cars. DH uses it frequently because it cuts his commute in half. I use it only once in a while. It charges you 40$ and when you use that up in tolls, it charges you again. I originally set it up to charge my cc. After we met Dave, lol, I left it on the cc since I never know when its coming, and I try to keep a zero based budget. I could just leave an extra 40 in checking but weve only been doing the budget this way for a month and Im too scared it will get spent. I noticed its been charging once a month now. I am tempted to justify it bc dh works 70hr/wk. Hes salary too so no OT sadly. As it cuts his commute in half, any time we can get to see him more, I take it.
So....is this a worthwhile expense?
If so, how should I handle it?? Should I leave it on the card? Set it to draft from savings?

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #82
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Feb 18 - Feb 24

went to town and only spent what was budgeted for. $10 co-pay for eye exam for ds2. and 60 for a massage. Need to talk to a dr about getting a prescription for it so the Fsa will pay it.

We were in town over lunch time too, and other than for myself, I packed no lunches. But our bank just moved to a new location and all this month they have "tasty fridays". so they had soup (tomato basil or chili) at the bank provided free from a local coffee house. than my sister watched the boys while I had my massage and she had them helping out at the food distribution at our salvation army they grabbed themselves a personal pizza after all the others went through 2x. She was also kind enough to take them to the library for a few minutes.

I finally managed to close down my accounts at one place and I'm opening a sharebuilder account using that money (its for the boys so I'd like it to actually grow more than $1 a year). and if its there, then the hospital won't be able to see that we have it if we'd need them to do a reduced bill.

Dh is out plowing people again and its supposed to snow more on monday. We've probably gotten well over 5 inches today. Why is it that we have more snow in Feb than we do in Dec?

I was VERY proud of my very polite boys today. Not only did my 8 year old give up his seat at the bank so an older gentleman could have it, he did it without prompting. Than my 9 year old held my arm while we walked over an icy section on a sidewalk so I wouldn't fall. Both told the person at the bank who brought the soup that it was delicious and a thank you again without prompting. And at the salvation army they waited until the others had already gotten what they had need for before asking if they could each have 1 item.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #83
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Currently, we have a tolltag on both cars. DH uses it frequently because it cuts his commute in half. I use it only once in a while. It charges you 40$ and when you use that up in tolls, it charges you again. I originally set it up to charge my cc. After we met Dave, lol, I left it on the cc since I never know when its coming, and I try to keep a zero based budget. I could just leave an extra 40 in checking but weve only been doing the budget this way for a month and Im too scared it will get spent. I noticed its been charging once a month now. I am tempted to justify it bc dh works 70hr/wk. Hes salary too so no OT sadly. As it cuts his commute in half, any time we can get to see him more, I take it.
If so, how should I handle it?? Should I leave it on the card? Set it to draft from savings?
I think it is a worthy expense. I am not sure how I would do it. I know that since we carry a certain balance at our bank, we can have free checking accounts. So for my health insurance, I have separate checking account that I have set up to autopay and I keep a balance in there to cover it.

I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #84
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabekgirl View Post
more good news! Ok I believe that I medically need massage therapy and I looked at my FSA and it states that if I can get a dr signature than I can use that money for it! I'm pretty sure the chiropractor will agree with my assessment that I do medically need it. when I was in pt that was about all I was getting out of it. I have a torn up shoulder from dislocations and too much swimming, not in a way that can be fixed though. and the pt didn't help much as I was already doing those things. Course that's also where my stress resides. I have appointment with massage therapist tomorrow and one with my chiro on monday.
Sorry your going through pain! Hopefully the Dr will sign off for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
I would save. I know DR recommends stopping snowballing and starting to stockpile money for things like a new baby, I'd imagine he'd recommend at least beefing the bef for an expected income loss (even if you'll still make it, sounds like it will be close). I just loosely follow The Rules though, so idk for sure.

AFM: we looked at some houses today. We found a super awesome huge house that we could never afford in the states (but is within our housing allowance... If we don't use it, we lose it, so no major benefit of going smaller/less expensive). I love the idea of big, bright, open, nearly empty rooms, this house is at least double the size of our last and definitely more than double the size of the apartment we would get on base. The kids would have a playroom, I would have a sewing/craft room, we would have a game room slash office, DH would gave a workshop outside, I'd have a small garden, the kids would have tons of (fenced) outdoor space, we'd have large balconies off 2 of the floors, its minutes from DH's workplace at NATO, it has guest quarters (!!!).... Ahhh I could go on and on. I *know* its "too much house" for us, though, were only a family of 4. And even though each room has its own heater and AC to minimize energy use, I worry about the large size being too expensive to heat/cool. But we'll probably never have the chance to have such a big house again (without being broke), and other than no garage it's perfect. I'm pretty sure we'll take it, but wwyd? Would you take a smaller house that will not save you in rent, but could maybe save $100+ in utilities? We're not going to have cable, cell and Internet will be less than 50 euro per month combined, and we will still be making at least double debt payments (down to just 2 SLs! CC are paid off!), possibly even triple, each month, and still saving to bump up the savings accounts and travel funds. Oh, and normally this house goes for 800 euro more per month, so most of the other houses in our budget are much smaller, nothing compares.

Also, my DH is driving me crazy. He just wants to spend spend spend. Besides waning to buy brand new everything for the house, finance a car for way more than I'd be comfortable with (this was before our van sold, yay! Now we can pay cash on the agreed amount), He is asking me almost hourly to buy an Xbox. I hate the person he's become when gaming (2 years ago he was very different with it and I didn't mind ) so I told him he can sell the ps3 before buying an Xbox. I don't want twice the number of games/systems in our house. I know he won't do it, since he would have to repurchase all the games (after selling te ps3 equivalent of course). But the only reason he can even give me that he "needs" it is so he "can keep in touch" with his brother. Uh no. We're not paying $200+$50 per game+$15 a month+however much a kinect is when you can (and have) Skype your brother for free. He just tried throwing "we'll, I let you buy what you want without asking" in my face as a valid reason to buy it. The only thing I have bought for my own wants in A YEAR are SS pots (which were more of a need, and were a family purchase), 2 clothing items (clearance, that DH made me buy, even though I actually do need clothes, most of mine are falling apart, but I hate spending money on myself), and some pricey make up (which was a combined birthday/valentines gift, and I've been without any for months, it made me sick to spend $100 on make up but it's the only kind I really like and my last set lasted over 2 yeas before getting lost, so it's not like it was an impulsive splurge that will run out next month). I don't want to be all naggy wife with him, but even if I wanted to buy everything he wants, now is not the time! We do have to buy some things for te house, what good is an Xbox if then we can't afford to buy a couch or dishes?? Ugh.
Is there anyway to get an estimate on the utilities? If you think they will be less than the allowance, even if they would be more than if you rented a smaller space, I would still go for more room. But that may be because we have 6 people (3 adults and 3 kids) crammed into less than 900sq ft, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
http://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/...alculator.html

I think this one used to be linked in the weekly start thread. It is the one we have used since starting and the one I am using to pay off the car =)
Thats it! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
You obviously don't beat him enough

Sorry. That was bad. It was a joke.
I was thinking it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
Just paid off our personal loan!

Our tax refund is scheduled to direct deposit on Monday too!

I splurged and got takeout pizza today. I figured I deserved a break from cooking for one night
WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
If it has been charging monthly, I would make it a line item in your budget and just expect it to hit your checking account each month.

Doing good here. I met a friend at the BK play place today so the kids could play. I usually would have caved and bought them dinner but I made sure to put something in the crockpot early this afternoon so I wouldnt be tempted with a quick fix. I did use my blow money for drinks, but no biggie there.

Doesnt it bother you when you spend money on something AND THEN figure out a very easy and practically free solution?! I have been trying to learn how to make beef jerky for a while now...it never comes out right (use a dehydrator). I asked a friend of mine who make AWESOME jerky and he said that he uses GROUND meat.. GROUND!! Everywhere says to use steak or roast cut very thin!! So I looked online where he told me, and found Jerky guns which are basically pastry guns that pipe flat strips of ground meat mixture out to be dried into jerky. I bought a gun on amazon that got good reviews for $17. It came today and I wanted to test it out. I got everything ready and it was broken!! Phoey. So I rolled it out very thin between 2 pieces of wax paper and popped it in the dehydrator. It worked great, and was nearly free! Oh well, at least I can return eh jerky gun.

While I was on amazon.com getting the return stuff for the jerky gun together I decided to finally print the return papers for the gifts my mom got the girls for xmas (twinkle toe sketchers boot in WAY WAY to large sizes, lol)....and the return by date was Jan 31!! Now I have to decide if I should try to sell them or save them until they would fit (likely next year, but not positive).

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #85
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi

Woohoo!!!!!

About the tax return, I thought they only deposited on Fridays??
The Where's My Refund site says Monday Feb 25th will be direct deposited.

Last edited by frugalmomof2; 02-22-2013 at 08:59 PM.
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #86
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our Taxes say Monday too.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #87
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This year they're doing deposits everyday but Sunday.
Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #88
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

woo-hoo! Mine says Monday too. Just in time! DS's health insurance bill came today.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #89
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am going to moan about my car again, so feel free to ignore me. Just need to vent...

I hate my car. I mean, I really, really, really hate my car. I hate it even more today than I did the last time I was moaning about it. We got our first Radian today and I decided to go see if it would fit with DD's HBB and the MyRide65 that we already own. Apparently, the back driver-side door decided to start leaking over the course of the last four days since I had driven it last. The MR65 and the floor had puddles in them. My car is like a dank, moldy swimming pool.

The good news is that the car seats all fit (saving me another $270 that I don't have to spend on a Radian). The bad news is that DD can no longer buckle herself in because they are so smooshed together that it is next to impossible to get between the two seats to buckle her. Also, a 2nd Radian would not fit RF in the car because it is too tall to fit anywhere but in the middle seat. So I would have had to turn DS around well before I am ready to.

I want a new car. We can't get the Ford payed off soon enough, IMO. Come on snow flakes!

Last edited by AmberP; 02-22-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #90
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Still awaiting for IRS to accept my tax return. We claimed the energy efficiency credit and they aren't processing those returns with that credit yet. I want my money!

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray(6/08), Seth(4/10), and Ellis (9/14).
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote