Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:
Would you make this switch? CLE to Teaching Textbooks...

I know that some of you use and recommend Teaching Textbooks. I've been using CLE first grade and my 7 year old (just turned 7) has been telling me the work is too easy. He flys through the lesson with accuracy and needs minimal teaching on a few things. I just gave him the placement test for Teaching Textbooks 3 and he scored 15 correct in section 1 and 9 correct in section 2. According to TT if the score is 10 or more correct in Section 1 and 8 or more correct in Section 2, then he should be ok for TT 3.

Would you think it's ok to switch? It seems like they'll review the simpler items anyway but I don't want to make the wrong move and I don't want to put him behind either and be bored. He loves to learn and learns quickly. CLE is supposed to be advanced and I've heard TT is a little behind so I'm just looking for advice.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you make this switch? CLE to Teaching Textbooks...

Does TT have a trial period? I'm not sure...See if they do! If so, you should give it shot! That's what's great about home educating! You can make changes like this if you have the means! I wouldn't worry about him being behind or what-not. Just worry about retention! This isn't a race. You want him to be challenged but you definitely don't want to put too much on him before his maturity can catch up. If he's ahead, you could totally go easy on math and let him pick up another interesting subject for a few months and practice math facts with math drills, computer games, living math books, math labs, etc. Elementary age isn't the time to stress! This is the fun time!
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
canadianmomof5
Registered Users

I think it would be fine since he did pass the placement exam. 3 of my kids have used TT (including a second grader doing TT3) and we like it.
canadianmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Does he have his addition/subtraction facts down cold? That would be the deciding factor for me because I'm assuming TT3 will get into multiplication and division which will be difficult and frustrating if the facts aren't mastered. CLE 1 may seem easy right now, but the program does an excellent job in cementing those math facts which makes more advanced math so much easier.

Last edited by LAF512; 11-01-2013 at 11:02 AM.
LAF512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like my son. We've been doing CLE, which I like, but it's pretty time consuming for me. I can do him and my DD at the same time, but I'm thinking I might try out the teaching textbooks. I desperately need to free up some time because all of my curriculum is so hands on, and with teaching 3, and 2 babies and a 2 yo... Anyway, maybe when we finish 1st grade CLE. I think we probably have less than a month left. I wish I would have skipped ahead a bit more sooner, but it may be a nice way to transition.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

No, he doesn't have his math facts down cold but his mathematical thinking is really ahead. Just this week, I showed him how to carry over with multiple digit numbers and he did great and even came up with his own problems and accurately answered them. I'm thinking of continuing CLE for this year since I have it and there are a few concepts that he doesn't know yet such as fractions and measurements. I know CLE starts multiplication by mid-second grade so I think I'll just supplement to add some challenge for him.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
canadianmomof5
Registered Users

If you want something challenging next year, you could check out Beast Academy too.
canadianmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote