Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
2nd Birthday Party....issues

OK ds will be 2 here in a few weeks , and we're planning his birthday party I'm not too concerned with going all out because honestly he will be 2 and really wont care as long as he can play. DH however wants to go all out with a ton of pressents etc and this huge thing well my thing is he doesnt ned a ton of toys he has a ton now ........ would it be horrible of us to only get him a few things??? We know my inlaws and folks are going to get him a ton anyways(christmas was hell I almst had to give up my office for more toys!) AND our daughter will be turning 5 in May and we ahve a small get together planned a few friends , family and thats about it and 3 or 4 of her friends from school that are all joined to the hip one friend of mine said we should dos oemthing huge but seriously my kids could really care less and I'm starting to feel guilty/really cheap about it and its just one of those we dont care the kids dont but everyone seems to think its some kind of bad idea ..... just because we are not going to go spend a few hundred on toys that will get played with for a month if that ...??someone make me feel better about it ( we ARE getting them a few things n what not but nothing HUGE and not a TON of stuff )
mommyof3monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
mfnusz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2nd Birthday Party....issues

you shouldn't feel guilty or cheap for not wanting to place the emphasis on "STUFF". like you said, he's 2 and he's not going to notice or remember what is from whom, he will just be happy with his new toys. i am the same way. i didn't even GET my son anything last Christmas (he was only a couple months old) because he didn't NEED anything and i knew the rest of our family would over-compensate. i would rather have less stuff, and make the gifts we do give meaningful and thoughtful (usually i make stuff). i think that you sound like an awesome mom!! lots of expensive toys does NOT equal love and caring.
mfnusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well there is a place in town here called Dinosaur land and we are planning on going because EVERYTIME we drive by he starts yelling ROOOAAAAAAAR and we know he'll love that so we kinda figure the day there with mom and dad and big sister is like the big thing .....?? AND with DD we're going to go to a wild animal park because she has been BEGGING to go since the snow melted .... I guess some people just think its weird that we'd rather not just buy their affection?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama if you have a fun place like that around and the resources to do so, i don't see the harm in it. No harm in not a lot of presents. We may get DS just one or two little things....he too doesn't need toys. We're getting used car bed from my grandparents they needed moved out of their house, I just got this super cute play rug at a yardsale last weekend. Then my mil is bringing a chiftrobe/dresser b/c his other dresser fell apart...so we're kind of sprucing his room up but as far as gifts, that's questionable.

when is your lo bday? landon's is april 6. last year we did decorations and stuff like that but we probably won't this year. just have the grandparents over or maybe go out to eat and make it even easier.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with you, mama. It sounds like you're planning a really fun day, and that's the important thing. My DD will turn 2 March 31st. I did buy her a pretty dress for the occasion ($6 used) and I'm going to go to the dollar store for two helium balloons and some party hats, but I'm sure not going to make it a huge production. Two is so young -- she won't care! I'm going to try to avoid an emphasis on presents on birthdays even when she's older; I think I'd rather give her toys as I find them throughout the year, rather than make birthdays and Christmas a time to expect lots of cool stuff. I think that might help avoid some disappointment, kwim?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the day being about them is all that's important. It doesn't have to be expensive and extravegant. I think its actually good that you aren't buying much for your ds. I think we have become too much of a stuff society. Why have more toys when you already have plenty? If you dh insists on wanting to buy stuff, maybe you can have your ds pick some things out for a child in need.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're cheap for getting a few presents than dh and I are terrible for getting no presents. Logan turned 2 in November and we didn't get him anything. We put money into his savings account instead. I'm sure this year, for his 3rd b-day, we'll buy him gifts. But at 2 he got so much crap from everyone else that we didn't need to add anything.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I finally told DH that I REALLY think it would be a bad idea and brought ups ome friends of ours as reference .. their DD just turned 9 and FREAKED out because she didnt get the right color ipod ..... for Christmas the kids (who are now 9 , 4 and 5) got an xbox 360 and a TON of other 100+ toys each ... and I said if you want our kids turning out liek that then fine but I wont have a part in it , then I brought up the fact the kids are outside all the time in summer they have bikes(wella bike and tricycle) swings , slide sandbox playhouse .... there is no need for a BUNCH of stuff they wont play with he finally said " well you do have a point the house is being taken over with toys anyways and I WOULD rather he have a really fun day with stuff thats geared towards him , and he did kind of freak about presents at christmas ( the poor little guy bawled hysterically after 3 or 4 because he just got way too overwhelmed) so I tihnk you are right we'll stick with the stuff we have now" ... AND for DD its going to be the same and thankfully I brought up the fact of lastyears birthdays and how wild that got ....... we had to use half of the office for a playroom after the fact
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I'll just add that after careful thought, I cannot remember a single birthday present I received up until about age 12. I do remember parties, family outings, visits with my grandparents etc. It's about spending the time, not the money.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you know what my boys' favorite gift from us for their second b-day was? i made some cookies out of paper. jonas had a blast passing them out and picking them back up. they also got a couple wooden puzzles. that's it from us.

remember, what you start now you have to continue. if the kids get used to lavish parties and mountains of gifts, it all becomes expected and the gifts meaningless.

have fun at dinoland. i wish we had something like that here!