Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #21
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: First Time Cloth Diapering-Should I Invest in a Newborn Stash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
And you get far less diaper blowouts with cloth, especially in the early weeks.

Totally did not expect this benefit when we started with cloth, but it is AWESOME how much better cloth diapers contain that nb poo!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #22
rebemass
Registered Users

I used some of the newborn Grovia AIOs. I loved them once my son got a little bigger but was not able to use them at all until he was about 2 weeks old because he was so small. At the same time we were glad we made the investment because we were able to use them until he was 8 weeks old (again because he was so small).

Despite not being able to use them initially, we still got our money's worth out of them and I look forward to using them again on our next little one.
rebemass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

None of mine fit newborn but I tend to have bigger babies. Never hurts to have a couple newborn covers laying around that you can use washcloths with as inserts until they fit size small just in case
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #24
guntersvillebride
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post

Totally did not expect this benefit when we started with cloth, but it is AWESOME how much better cloth diapers contain that nb poo!
This is so true!! It's one of my favorite parts of cloth diapering a newborn (my favorite part is the adorableness). I would definitely recommend getting a newborn stash. My recommended NB stash would be 24-36 prefolds, 6 covers, and 12 AIOs. You should be able to get all that pretty cheap on here. The reason I recommend a NB stash is that you are going to spend money on diapers either way - I'd rather put it towards cloth. It's cuter, has less blowouts, and you can save for a second baby or resell. Resale is great on NB diapers because they're used such a short time. I bought some newborn diapers with my son that have gone through 2 kids and I was still able to resell and make back my money. So I basically diapered for 4 months for free! With the frequency of newborn changes, I probably would have spent at least $300 ($150 per kid) in disposables for the first couple months.
guntersvillebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I never tried using sposies so I am biased in that way. But I think if you are doing prefolds, your investment in a newborn stash won't be very high. Depending on your babes size has alot to do with how long babies fit in a newborn stash.

I had larger 8lb kids and I loved using thirsties size 1 covers. They fit day one can can last longer. With my son they lasted 2-3months and DD they lasted 6ish months. With my first I got into prefolds later in his infancy and loved them for the earlier months. So with DD I actually took it a step further and used smaller osocosy flats mostly. I also had some gerber muslin newborn flats that I used with a doubler as well. Everything was SO trim. It was wonderful.

We only used velcro covers. (well until we go into wool)

Here is DD in her thristies the first weeks.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #26
prittyditty
Registered Users

I am being induced on Saturday at 37 weeks and I am wondering if anyone can share their experience with the NB tiny gpants. I got a good deal and have about 30 of them but it seems really difficult to get the biodegradable inserts in them. Would I be better off using fitteds and covers? If so, would the thirsties size 1 duo wraps work or should I be looking for a few NB covers? Any suggestions are welcome. FTM and really want our cloth diapering experience to go smoothly.
prittyditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #27
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by prittyditty View Post
I am being induced on Saturday at 37 weeks and I am wondering if anyone can share their experience with the NB tiny gpants. I got a good deal and have about 30 of them but it seems really difficult to get the biodegradable inserts in them. Would I be better off using fitteds and covers? If so, would the thirsties size 1 duo wraps work or should I be looking for a few NB covers? Any suggestions are welcome. FTM and really want our cloth diapering experience to go smoothly.
tiny gpants came after my second was born so I didn't get to use them, but they are super cute. You could ask at gdiapers.com they are good about answering. the gDiaper inserts work in any cover so if you need a sposie insert that is an option.

I Love the thristies duo size 1 but my kids were also 8lbs. I did a post a poll forever ago you can find it here. It basically said that they normally fit at 6lbs but probably not much smaller. I got newborn RAR for my "in case of small baby" and they were super cute. They are suppose to be able to fit at 4lbs and I can believe it but they also fit DD, 8lber, as well on the middle rise. They were less expensive in my opinion for a name brand cover (rumparooz).

I would google around for what other inserts fit in the tiny gs I'm sure you can find something, either a small hemp insert or maybe newborn prefolds. With my second we randomly had gerber newborn muslin flats - something like that would definitely fold fit (I attached them with a doubler since after folding not much absorbency in the wet zone). You could also try something like fluffier wipes or cheap/extra wash cloths. DD recently needs more absorbency in her night trainers but I don't have much left. I've been testing the absorbency of a few different old wipes and they surprising hold around 2 oz. Depending on your LO output a couple wipes may be enough absorbency at least for the first weeks.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-15-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote