Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
LostinMI05
Registered Users

Is 5 months too young to introduce sippy cup?

I have a 5 month old that is breast-fed exclusively. I was pumping at work, so he had expressed milk in a bottle while I was away. Now I am at home with him, so he gets straight from the source. But I have one bottle of expressed milk that is going to go bad if I don't use it in the next couple of days. I was thinking of using it to introduce a sippy cup. What has been your experience with introducing cups? Is 5 months too young?
Thanks,
Amber

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is 5 months too young to introduce sippy cup?

Depends on the baby, IMO. My guy was exclusively bf and one day at a restaurant (about that age) he leaned over and sucked water out of my straw! It was pretty shocking for us all!
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
momma2jamesp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

James was introduced to a sippy cup a that age but the mechanics of it eluded him. . .Now he knows how to use it, but prefers the bottle when he gets his afternoon juice.

SAHM to one sweet Snuggle Bear and our newest blessing Baby Emilie 11/09
momma2jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

If he nurses with you, why not freeze the milk and keep it for an emergency rather than trying to use it up if you don't really need to?

Can't help with the sippy cup. . . mine never got them until about a year. I have a 7 month old and I don't think he would actually 'use' it - he would just chew on it and make a sloppy mess out of it.
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Made With Love
Registered Users
Formerly: babybraeden2007
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Is 5 months too young to introduce sippy cup?

my LO was introduced to the cup at 5 months, and didn't take to it completely til' 6.5 months...but I'd say go for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinMI05 View Post
I have a 5 month old that is breast-fed exclusively. I was pumping at work, so he had expressed milk in a bottle while I was away. Now I am at home with him, so he gets straight from the source. But I have one bottle of expressed milk that is going to go bad if I don't use it in the next couple of days. I was thinking of using it to introduce a sippy cup. What has been your experience with introducing cups? Is 5 months too young?
Thanks,
Amber
Old 01-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

try it.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

My formula fed babies did not take sippy cups until well after they were a year old. But get this...my exclusively breastfed baby was drinking water out of a sippy cup at 5 months. Weeeeeird.
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
uoducks
Registered Users

we've skipped the sippy cup and our daughter has only ever used a regular cup that she gets on her tray with her meals which we started a little over 5mths old. We mostly help her drink from it or she spills it.

i really don't want to buy more "stuff" when the goal is a regular cup anyway.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
LostinMI05
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23boys View Post
If he nurses with you, why not freeze the milk and keep it for an emergency rather than trying to use it up if you don't really need to?
Well that particular bottle was pumped and I didn't date it so I wasn't sure of the exact date... smelled fine until i heated it so I dumped that. Broke out the manual pump because I was interested in seeing if he'd take the cup. He did So hopefully when/if I have to miss a feeding I can just give him a cup and be done with bottles. *fingers crossed* He has had the bottle so few times hoping he won't miss it
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
andrea3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first dd was ff and she was on a sippy cup full-time at 6 months. My second dd was ff also and she was on a sippy cup full-time at 10 months, she has severe acid reflux and a sippy flowed too fast for her until she was older. Our youngest dd is 100% bf and she is 12 1/2 months old and she still won't suck on a straw or drink out of a sippy cup. I think every child is different, but it doesn't hurt to introduce it.