Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
AddiesMama
Registered Users

Re: tips to conceive boys???

My first boy was conceived from DTD approx. 4 days before ovulation and my second was conceived from DTD the day before and the day of ovulation. My sister tried for a boy and DTD the day of and the day after ovulation and got a girl. I don't have much faith in timing things myself due to these experiences!

Advertisement

AddiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #12
AuroraUsa
Registered Users

Re: tips to conceive boys???

Although there are various ways to try to control the gender of the child you conceive, both old wives tales and semi-scientific methods, none of them as far as I can find are really significantly better than chance, other than implanting a male embryo directly. This is costly, somewhat risky, and not legal in most places, so it’s not a viable option for most people.

The one studied method that shows some promise is to make sure that you are well fed, eat breakfast, and take in plenty of potassium. This study suggests that a mother that eats more calories and more potassium in the time leading up to conception is slightly more likely to have a boy, compared to a mother who is nutritionally deficient or eats fewer calories.

The ‘home’ method with the most science to back it up is a timing method, where you have intercourse as close as possible to the time of ovulation or just slightly after, on the theory that the sperm that produce boys live slightly shorter time than ‘girl’ sperm, and this tips the odds in favor of having a boy. This is somewhat reasonable based on what is known about conception, but has not been proven to work.

Overall, there is no foolproof method other than implantation of a male embryo; other methods are at best slightly better than random chance to produce a boy. It is important when conceiving a child to make peace with the possibility that you may have a child of the opposite gender than you wished for or imagined, because it’s not something that can really be controlled.
AuroraUsa is offline   Reply With Quote