Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
jfish530
Registered Users
seller

Let your body rest between babies?

Has anyone heard good scientific reasons to let your body rest between babies? I turn 31 next week and just had my first LO June 3rd, am on the mini pill now but kind of just want to "get-er-done" and have another one soon. We only plan on two, and our first has been really easy (praise God!) so far. (So, no. 2 will probably be a hellion haha). I know there's lots of other things to consider (my career, finances, spacing's effect on sibling's relationships) but looking at just the impact on my body and the health of the next baby, any reason to wait to TTC for a year or so? I'm thinking stay on the pill for a few more months and then stop & just see what happens. It took about 9 months for me to get pregnant last time, and that was with charting my temps and OPKs.

Advertisement

jfish530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
You are much more fertile after having a baby. Our BFF got pregnant 2.5 months after baby. Their kids are 355 days apart. She struggles sometimes

As far as body being ready? I think it would be fine. It's more of the mentally being ready.
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
andunc02
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Let your body rest between babies?

From what I've read it can be beneficial to wait about 2-3 years. Pregnancy and breastfeeding take a toll on a mother and the idea is that your body needs that recovery time to heal and replace nutrients. While I think it makes sense I also believe that the time frame is an arbitrary number. Having a healthy diet and exercising along with a good quality vitamin is probably more important than just waiting.
andunc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would think calcium replacement would be important, but I don't have any numbers to back that up.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally prefer to let baby have their time with mama. My favorite spacing is my daughters are 34 months apart, my older dd is such a great big sister and really understood what was going on too.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
mama2myangels09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Number #2 and #3 for me are 11 months and 2 days apart. #3 wasn't planned like that, but it happened. That birth was by far my easiest out of the 5 I've had. But everyone is different. Honestly the hardest thing was getting two kids that couldn't walk at those ages up and down a flight of stairs since we were in a second floor apartment.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
shanisep
Registered Users
seller

My twins were 22 months old when we had ds2. Ds2 was 22 months old when we had ds3. Ds3 was 25 months old when we had ds4. I love having them all close in age because they play so well together and have the same age group interests. Not sure the toll it takes on mom's body to have them close like that. As mentioned above diet and exercise definitely play a part. I did have trouble (3 miscarriages in a row) trying for this 6th kiddo. i wanted another 2 yr gap but when she's born, ds4 will be about 2 months shy of 3 yrs.
I say if you and your hubby want 2 close together go for it!
shanisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also remember you may not get your cycle back for a year to 18 months
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
shanisep
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Also remember you may not get your cycle back for a year to 18 months
I used to wish this would hold true for me...it never did. I got my cycle back at 6 weeks postpartum with DS 2 and 3. At 6 months with DS 4. I nursed them for 2 years so that wasn't the issue. Got pregnant while nursing those 3 boys. Didn't nurse my twins. Traumatic delivery, lack of support, and moving right after they were born caused me to quit
shanisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was told it is best to wait 6 months after you have a baby OR 6 months after you stop breastfeeding. The reason given by OB was to replenish your calcium. Its a good idea to take a supplement if you are breastfeeding and continue to take them. My OB recommended taking prenatal vitamins if you plan to get pregnant at any point in the future.
I think it's best to discuss with your doctor who knows your medical history what the best spacing would be if you have any concerns for your health. Different doctors have different recommendations. But taking a prenatal and extra calcium probably couldn't hurt.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote