Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #21
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I the only one exclusively pumping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestlynl View Post
You're not alone!
I did it for both of my children. I only made it to 6 months with each of them before my milk just seemed to disapear, but I've heard of others who made it much later.
For my DS we needed to evaluate his intake and after 2 weeks there was no going back to the source for him! For my DD my...ummm...n*pples (trying to avoid bad pictures) got really big and she just could not fit them in her little doll like mouth I had experience with pumping...so I did it again!
good job mamma!! I've chatted with a few people on MOthering.com and some of those ladies have been pumping for almost 2 years!! I don't know if I could do that for so long!

Advertisement

daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris5135 View Post
I pumped for months on end. I started by breastfeeding, but couldn't regulate how much my son was taking in. Because he had bad reflux, the more he took in, the more went out if you know what I mean . I started pumping, then when we went through thrush that was IT. I pumped myself dry with every pump & increased frequency to build up my milk supply. It's a PITA, but I didn't want to pump forever, and decided that i'd stop when I had a chest freezer full. When the freezer was full I slowly weaned myself & my son had many more months of breastmilk. To answer the other mother who said she felt like telling people it was breastmilk every time she pulled out a bottle, no, it never even occurred to me what people thought. It never occurred to me that other mothers might judge me based upon what I fed my child until I joined this forum. I still believe it's nobody's business what you feed your child. I didn't mention the hell I went through in the beginning to breastfeed my child & don't need to because that was a decision I made. I would never judge another mother if they did differently.
I wish I could feel this way, I think it stems from me feeling guilty that I chose not to BF, not because I couldn't but because I didn't want to. I had such a hard time BFing DS, I just couldn't do it again.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #23
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone have any ideas to help me with creating my frozen stash? I really don't want her on the formula at all, but I'm not sure how to get my stash going without it. I've been trying to mix half formula and half BM, and freezing everything else. I usually get about 16 oz in the am, save enough for DD's first bottle and throw the rest in the freezer. I have no idea how long I want to pump, but I want her to have BM for AT LEAST a year, longer if I can.

What does/did everyone use to store their milk? I'm freezing in icecube tray and storing in ziplocs while I try and find actual bags. I worry about freezer burn with the ziplocs....
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #24
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller

My Mood:

i exclusevly pumped for 2 months. my twins were 7 weeks early and i wasn't able to be at the hospital for 99% of feeds.. and they took most by tube until the last 5-6 days anyway.. but it was dificult for me to slowly move from pumping to breast.. i got mastitis twices while they were still in the hospital and i tjust kept traveling from one side to the other.. and then when they were 2 months old i got yeast infections on my nipples and was about ready to give up bfing all together.. i didn't pump for a full day and just fed the boys milk i had already pumped. after venting on a group i'm in and getting some incouragement i decided right then and there that i just couldn't give up. i was sick and tired of cleaning parts and spending half my day feeding/pumping/cleaning.. so while i was sitting at the computer in the middle of the night, ready to call it quits.. one of the babies woke up and from that point on i have had them at my breast for every feeding.

anyway, that is my story. i understand completely how tireing and overwhelming it is to pump. it takes alot of time and alot of commitment to keep at it but i know it can be done if you really want to. of course, life is much easier when you can just put baby to breast, but when that wont work.... you do what you have to do. that's my moto. if i hadn't been able to get the boys to take to the breast, i dont think i could have stoped pumping. it was killing me to not go to at least 6 months. my first ds was ebf till then and to me, that was the bare minimum for any of my children. GL to you and just know that you are doing this for your lo. every day gets you one step closer, and even if you have to stop, every day you pumped and every day your lo got your milk was worth every second of time spent pumping/feeding & cleaning parts.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #25
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoHasPaws View Post
Me!! my keyboard is broken, and this on screen is a pain...so i'll add more when i can :P here's my LJ if you want to check it out http://project-eva001.livejournal.com/

it does get easier, and i'm still pumping 8x a day at 15 months
wow, that is so great, what a long time to be pumping. How much longer are you going to go for? How long do you go between pump sessions?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #26
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is awesome that you are choosing to provide mom's milk even if you aren't nursing. I just wanted to share that I had a friend who had nursing problems and pumped for her little guy. Her Avent pump broke at about 4 months and they gave nursing a go out of desperation and wouldn't you know it worked and they were a happy nursing couple. So "If" you want to try nursing you can. Otherwise keep up the good work! It is awesome that you can pump for you little one.

Jenn

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #27
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What does/did everyone use to store their milk? I'm freezing in icecube tray and storing in ziplocs while I try and find actual bags. I worry about freezer burn with the ziplocs....[/QUOTE]

I don't have a deep freeze, just the freezer half of my fridge, so I did a rotation. Most days my LOs would get some fresh milk and some frozen, and I'd freeze at least 2 bottles worth that day. I used the Medela Freezer bags because they kept the milk fresh for 3 months and you could squease the air out.
In the beginning 3 months I was getting lost of extra milk and I froze it all...at one point we had about 400 ounces in our freezer
Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have about 80 oz in the freezer!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #29
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad I found this thread!
My dd is only 2 weeks old but I already have to pump and feed some formula as well.
I nursed fine in the hospital but then I had sore, bleeding nipples the first few days home from the hospital and couldn't take the pain. I was frustrated, tired, depressed and so I ended up giving her a little formula and started pumping until my breasts healed. But now that she got used to a bottle I can't get her to latch on and suck from my breast anymore. So I'm trying to pump as much as possible and unfortunately I have to supplement with formula.
My milk supply seems really low too. I pump for about 30 min. 4-5 times a day right now and only get about 1 1/2-2 oz. at a time if I'm lucky. I know I need to pump more often but that's time away from my baby and pumping gets tiring. I've just started taking fenugreek (sp?) to try to increase my supply. What else can I do? Where can I find the hands free bra a pp mentioned?
I was planning to nurse for a year but I don't know if I can last that long pumping. I'm already getting tired of it but I want her to get at least some breastmilk. I feel so guilty that I can't nurse her and have to give her formula! And it's adding to my postpartum depression.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #30
AmandaNickie
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the PP who was talking about getting very little milk out. You may want to try getting large flanges for your pump (the horn like things). I was originally using the 24mm ones that came with my Pump In Style and thought they were the correct size but I also was only getting about 1.5 oz at each pumping. During one of my visit's to the LC she said I was using way too small of flange. I bought both the 30mm flanges based on her recommendation and immediately I went up to pumping approximately 6-8 oz from each breast at each pumping! HUGE difference! I also have less issues with clogs because I think I am now getting more milk out. You can either just try larger flanges (think they cost around $12 for the Medela ones) or contact your local LC. They have nipple measuring devices that look like what jewelers use to measure your ring size to tell you which size flange you need.
AmandaNickie is offline   Reply With Quote