Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Mrs.W
Registered Users
seller

Anyone use doTerra oil? Worth the money?

I am trying to be frugal and always trying to learn new ways. I am looking into trying doTerra essential oils. Does anyone here use them. Have you found they are really worth the expense?

Advertisement

Mrs.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone use doTerra oil? Worth the money?

I think essential oils are worth the expense, for what I use them for. But I would use other brands over Do Terra. Including NOW brand and Aura Cacia, which are both reasonably priced. Most local health food stores carry reputable brands. My local hfs puts their 3 brands on sale every few months, making them a good deal.

You might also look into using tinctures. Tinctures are more economical than essential oils, less storng, so harder to screw up, though still plenty strong. You can google Susun Weed + tinctures + essential oils and find lots of great articles.

If you make your own tinctures, you save TONS over store bought essential oils or tinctures. For instance, right now I have a quart of organic chamomile-lemon balm tincture in my cabinet. It is VERY strong, since I let it sit 6 months instead of the standard 6 weeks. I spent a few dollars at my local health food store on organic dried chamomile and organic dried lemon balm, and maybe $7 on organic vodka. (You can get organic vodka at Whole Foods, but regular vodka is fine- just depends on if you are a stickler for organic or not. I'm not, at least when it comes to vodka.)

This tincture will also me 2-3 years. Essential oils should really be used within 6-12 months, regardless of storage method or brand. they are very volatile and very heat and light sensitive.

But tinctures have indefinite shelf life when stored in a dark cabinet. (And not exposed to extreme weather conditions!) I can use my chamomile lemon-balm almost anywhere I would use the essential oils- on zits, in my cloth wipe solution, a few drops in tea for nerves, on any skin irritation, etc.

ALSO- please note that while Do Terra claims their eo's can be taken internally- this is BAD advice. Only licensed aromatherapists should prescribe internal use for eo's, and only after taking a thorough personal history. Essential oils are PART of natural health care, but not a panacea.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox there! My point is simply that they are useful and worth it, yes, but there are many good brands. And there are many ways to get the benefits of herbs with less expense and MORE safety.

A good herbal book- Rosemary Gladstar and Susun Weed have many GREAT user friendly books- will give you lots of ideas and save you lots of money in the long run.

Good luck!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't have a lot of battery life to type out a long response but I love Plant Therapy Essential Oils. They are very reasonably priced and readily available on Amazon. They have a group on Facebook as well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Forum Runner
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I went to a doTERRA party that a friend of mine was hosting because she was starting to become a consultant. Everything sounded awesome until we started looking at the prices. YIKES! I ended up buying a sample pack of the lemon, lavender and mint on ebay. The lavender worked amazing for when my youngest was teething. I felt like they worked but I would never spend that much money on the other things. They have cheaper essential oils. Look on Amazon and read reviews. Just research a little before buying
Old 08-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
amandamcdowell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Young Living Essentials oils and am a distributor. I think they are amazing!! I can send you some samples~ PM me if interested.
amandamcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for Plant Therapy- they have certified aromatherapists on staff that you can call, a "kid safe line" that makes it easier to use essential oils with kids and does extensive testing on their oils. Prices are great (free shipping on their website- all the time and there is a coupon code for your first order- do a search )

Also ALWAYS dilute your oils, with a carrier oil, DO NOT take them internally unless under the supervision of a professional.
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Proverbs31mama
Registered Users
seller

I have done quite a bit of research on this and there are several companies I am comfortable buying from including all the ones listed above. So far I have bought from Plant Therapy and Native American Nutritionals. I have been pleased with both of them. I love plant Therapy because they have a kid safe line. It is very important to me to have oils that are safe around my children and safe when I am pregnant. But I would buy from other companies, it would just take me longer to figure out which oils I can buy.
Btw, I am willing to trade some essential oils (some extras I just didn't care for), or make roller bottles or lotions. If you are interested in trying some I would love to trade for diapers or other things. I am just starting my cloth diaper stash and am hoping to trade for some to make it a bit more affordable .
Proverbs31mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
sunmooncake
Registered Users

I use doterra EO and a few other of their products. I like them, but agree that some of the prices are expensive. Also, some of the claims other wellness advocates make in regards to their potency are a little...dicey. They also have loyalty rewards programs, but unless you're buying quite a few oils a month you won't be able to take advantage of it.

I've also used Aura Cacia and Whole Foods brand as well and liked them.

Overall, I enjoy using essential oils and have used them in a variety of ways for my everyday life.
sunmooncake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #9
dunuplanxty
Registered Users

I use doTERRA and am a distributor! I love the versatility of having this full strength, so that I can dilute for every member of my family (from the baby to my 250lb husband!)

We use the oils medicinally, so it is important to me that every batch of EO be tested thoroughly for both purity and potency. Testing is expensive! but I appreciate their commitment to sending each batch off for impartial third party testing and also working with the farmers to make sure they are getting just wages while promoting best growing and harvesting (sustainable!!) crops.

If youd like to try some samples for your family, or to compare to other brands, Im happy to send some out! they have changed the way we parent--I love being an empowered mama!!
dunuplanxty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #10
melissa_Smith92
Registered Users

I use doterra a family friend sold it to me... and honestly the pasttense roll on I used for my headaches and it did not really help much... maybe it works for some. But not me or my daughter :/ I wish it had.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
melissa_Smith92 is offline   Reply With Quote