Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Butchering question WWYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlistedinHisArmy View Post
My understanding is that hanging it let's the blood drain. If they didn't hang the meat out the muscle will be saturated in blood which will give it a stronger taste.
I think fresh small produced meat will taste different than mass produced grain fed meat from the store.
Chirpy, the new processer may be federally inspected which would cause the price to jump like that.

The old processor is inspected as well. They are a big operation versus a smaller, local one just getting started.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Be careful, the really dangerous toxins in food can't be killed by cooking because they aren't alive to begin with. They are the toxins released by bacteria in/on raw meat before it is ever cooked, or on cooked meat that has sat out and gotten recontaminated by the bacteria in the air. If it is long enough--even if it's been the fridge--the bacteria reproduce at an exponential rate. Their waste is what causes it to smell funny or look off. That toxin waste is what is so dangerous. You can kill e.coli and salmonella, for example, but you can't kill their waste matter by heat or cold because it's not alive.

I can't stand throwing out food, either. We raised and butchered our own chickens last year and I had cooked one and was letting it cook a bit before taking the meat off the bones. I accidentally left it out all night. It looked and smelled fine but it went to the cats to eat :/. There was 8 pounds of free-range meat on that bird, not to mention the bones to make broth, but I couldn't chance it.
I don't know of any such toxins. Spores can be pretty heat resistant, but are not vegetative (not growing/reproducing) in spore form, so after cooking you'd have to then leave the food sit several hours again for the spores to be dangerous, with the exception of babies - babies can't handle spores, but we generally can eat them safely. Food poisoning generally works by the toxins released once the bacteria hit your gut, so cooking to kill said bacteria should take care of that. Most of these toxins fall apart in heat. Rotting food can taste and smell bad, though, and I'm not into eating stuff that tastes bad. If I cook it and it still tastes bad, I throw it out.

My mom always said fix a big pot of soup and then bring it to a boil every 3 days and it'll keep forever. I've never had soup last long enough to test this theory...

ETA: staph toxins are really heat resistant, but uncommon because the staph bacteria is slower growing than many other bacteria and so is basically squeezed out by them. It's all a competition on spoiling food, and staph won't often win.

Last edited by Elchorrito; 02-08-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #13
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is all very fascinating. I know that we are very careful with food safety here in the US but I always thought it was due to mass production and processing.

My dd saw a friend struggling to prep meat from this cow. She complained of it being bloody.

It was not hung. My friend said she's feeding the smelly ones to the dog and is glad she's not killing him.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #14
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
This is all very fascinating. I know that we are very careful with food safety here in the US but I always thought it was due to mass production and processing.

My dd saw a friend struggling to prep meat from this cow. She complained of it being bloody.

It was not hung. My friend said she's feeding the smelly ones to the dog and is glad she's not killing him.

When I thaw meat that has extra blood in it, I leave it in the fridge for a good two-three days turned up against the side of a bowl. Blood drains out. Problem solved. Yummy supper.

I wouldn't worry about all the toxin junk. That's just not likely to happen, if possible at all. Now if they left the meat exposed and getting hot for several days, then obviously that would be a problem. But I really would bet they are just fine.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote