Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Our5boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Replacing windows

The outside sills of our old wood windows are rotting out in places so we want to replace them with vinyl. Has anyone done a project like this before? We are trying to decide if we should try to do it ourselves, do some of them ourselves but leave the big ones to a pro or just hire it all out. All the windows are on the ground floor so height isn't an issue. DH is pretty handy and has some experience with interior remodeling but for some reason this is so much more intimidating than redoing a bathroom or building an interior wall. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

Our5boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Replacing windows

Hmmm....well its not "hard" per say but if he's never done it before he might ask a buddy to help him with just one so he sees. I would call it intermediate in terms of skill level.....

You'll save a bunch of money if you do it yourself..... but because there is rot, he will need to replace all wood around the whole windows and that is where it gets dicey b/c it takes a lot of precision.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We replaced four windows and two doors, including installing a French door. You might need a permit, depending on where you live, so find that out first. Ours were set in stucco. It was very hard to chip that away and then re-stucco. We talked to the guys at the hardware store. If you know your stuff, they are surprisingly forthcoming about installation. Also we found a few videos on YT that guided us on the process. I don't recommend it to a newbie, but a handy person should be able to do it.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH is a Glazier & he says rot is not fun & a lot of work. I'd have my DH do it, but he knows what he is doing. If he didn't I'd call in a professional. A good portion of his jobs are fixing things homeowners tried to do themselves. Also measuring for new windows can be tricky. If you're off a bit it wont fit, or you'll have to jerry rig it to fit.

often if you go w/ a smaller family owned glass company they are willing to cut you a deal $$ wise. I know the company DH works for does.

Last edited by Junipervt; 05-01-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Windows are just about the only thing my husband won't do himself. I would call around for a good, reputable, local company. Actually, your best bet is probably to call at least 3 reputable companies and get quotes.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Our5boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The more I think about it the more I think that we will for sure be having a professional do the ones with the rot since we don't know how deep it goes. About half of them are solid and it is just part of the actual slide up window that is looking rough. We need to get the ones with the rotting sills done now but maybe I will let my DH try one of the other ones just to see if he can do it since it will be significantly less expensive. He does have a few a few friends with more experience with this type of thing who always are asking for computer help so maybe he can talk one of them into helping with the less challenging ones.

Does anyone have any experience with Window World?
Our5boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh, and don't forget about housing codes. Our house was built more than 20 years ago, and when we got the window out, it was quite a surprise to see what was under there. Let's just say, thank goodness we didn't get a direct hit by a hurricane. Once your window is down, you really want to have a back-up plan in case things go awry. We have done all kinds of heavy-duty projects at our house, but installing windows is one of those things that you are dealing with glass, specific measurements and a strict timeline. You have to get it done by end of day and hope for good weather. I do agree with the rotting issue; you really don't know what's under there and it might be a lot of work for someone who hasn't done it before. You are sort of inventing the wheel as you go. I think your plan of starting with one is probably the best idea.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our5boys

Does anyone have any experience with Window World?
My aunt and uncle had a great experience with them. My good friends had a terrible experience. I think a lot of it depends on the installer. The window quality is fine...but even the best windows can be installed incorrectly...and can be worse than a cheaper window installed correctly.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My parents used Window World and were very happy with them.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
jrpbrown1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
even the best windows can be installed incorrectly...and can be worse than a cheaper window installed correctly.
This is 100% true. You want a good product with good installation. We just replaced all the windows and doors in our house last spring. It took months to meet with the contractors to find "the one".
jrpbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote