Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Subbing. I have been seriously considering selling on eBay.

Question: with things like toddler shoes and clothes, do you recommend selling as a (small or large) lot or individually? They are name brand, outfit sets and all would be in great condition.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The EBAY thread

Just back again to say thanks, I listed 19 things BIN, and have sold 9 and made $100, just today! =) Now I'm going to be hunting around my house for more things to list!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCrafty View Post
Just back again to say thanks, I listed 19 things BIN, and have sold 9 and made $100, just today! =) Now I'm going to be hunting around my house for more things to list!

$100 in a day? You can be a powerseller in a month, and top-rated in three!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Subbing. I have been seriously considering selling on eBay.

Question: with things like toddler shoes and clothes, do you recommend selling as a (small or large) lot or individually? They are name brand, outfit sets and all would be in great condition.
If you want to maximize profits, sell the items individually, for a Buy-It-Now price with Best Offer option. Describe each one's distinguishing characteristics (colors, name of the line, pattern) so the buyer who is looking for that specific item will likely be willing to pay a LOT for it.

Ex: "Gymboree Doggies in Spring short sleeve 4T shirt blouse, light blue/navy stripes, poodle applique"

(totally made that up.. but you get it)
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #24
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Hey! Cool thread!

I have a few things to add...

For listings titles, don't put in things like : / " etc. Basically just put the words. The reason for this is because if you put those characters in it can mess with search results, so in the example above blue/navy, if someone was searching for a blue Gymboree shirt the listing may not come up. However, if you really want to use them put a space, such as blue / navy or " blue " . Basically make sure each word has a space after it so it can come up properly in all searches to maximize your exposure.

Also, don't worry about your title making sense. A good title probably won't. I typically do brand, size, what it is (such as shirt) then any specifics (such as color). So instead of saying "Blue Stride Rite Shoes Size 7" say "Stride Rite 7 Shoes Blue". Those are lame examples, and you should put in as much as you can so I would add the style of the shoes, gender, any unique characteristics, etc. Basically use up all your space. I don't even bother with the word "size" because it isn't needed for search results. If someone searches "stride rite shoes size 7" your listing will come up without the word "size" in your title, BUT leaving that word out leaves extra space to add something else. Sometimes I still use the word size if I have enough room, but mostly I don't bother.

For descriptions, short and simple, no html. Ebay gives you priority in best match for this AND it is specifically helpful for buyers on mobile devices. Use the item specifics. Fill them all in as much as is relevant.

Ok, and as far as taxes, it is no big deal. I did my taxes myself last year using turbo tax and it was very simple. Paypal will send you a 1099 (like OP said if you are over 20,000-but keep in mind this is ALL money coming into paypal-not just ebay-so this will take into account any sales on DS and anywhere else you sell). You DO NOT have to claim items that were your own and you sold. You DO have to claim items that you bought to resell. Get a file folder and label each month and throw all receipts in there. Make sure to print out and include online receipts as well (such as if you buy polymailers on amazon). If anyone has any specific tax questions I will try my best to help. Best advice is to keep everything and make an excel spreadsheet. My spreadsheet includes: total sales, total refunds, total shipping, total cost of inventory, total ebay fees, total paypal fees, supplies, business cards (I have this one separate bc it was a separate category on turbo tax) and I think that's it. I need to go look at mine but too tired. I fill it in for the previous month on the 1st of every month. Hence why it is important to keep receipts.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
Hey! Cool thread!

I have a few things to add...

For listings titles, don't put in things like : / " etc. Basically just put the words. The reason for this is because if you put those characters in it can mess with search results, so in the example above blue/navy, if someone was searching for a blue Gymboree shirt the listing may not come up. However, if you really want to use them put a space, such as blue / navy or " blue " . Basically make sure each word has a space after it so it can come up properly in all searches to maximize your exposure.

Also, don't worry about your title making sense. A good title probably won't. I typically do brand, size, what it is (such as shirt) then any specifics (such as color). So instead of saying "Blue Stride Rite Shoes Size 7" say "Stride Rite 7 Shoes Blue". Those are lame examples, and you should put in as much as you can so I would add the style of the shoes, gender, any unique characteristics, etc. Basically use up all your space. I don't even bother with the word "size" because it isn't needed for search results. If someone searches "stride rite shoes size 7" your listing will come up without the word "size" in your title, BUT leaving that word out leaves extra space to add something else. Sometimes I still use the word size if I have enough room, but mostly I don't bother.

For descriptions, short and simple, no html. Ebay gives you priority in best match for this AND it is specifically helpful for buyers on mobile devices. Use the item specifics. Fill them all in as much as is relevant.

Ok, and as far as taxes, it is no big deal. I did my taxes myself last year using turbo tax and it was very simple. Paypal will send you a 1099 (like OP said if you are over 20,000-but keep in mind this is ALL money coming into paypal-not just ebay-so this will take into account any sales on DS and anywhere else you sell). You DO NOT have to claim items that were your own and you sold. You DO have to claim items that you bought to resell. Get a file folder and label each month and throw all receipts in there. Make sure to print out and include online receipts as well (such as if you buy polymailers on amazon). If anyone has any specific tax questions I will try my best to help. Best advice is to keep everything and make an excel spreadsheet. My spreadsheet includes: total sales, total refunds, total shipping, total cost of inventory, total ebay fees, total paypal fees, supplies, business cards (I have this one separate bc it was a separate category on turbo tax) and I think that's it. I need to go look at mine but too tired. I fill it in for the previous month on the 1st of every month. Hence why it is important to keep receipts.
Free tax advice!!

But about the use of special characters in the title... I've never had a problem. Over half my listings use the slash character but still show up fine in all the searches I've experimented with...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, taxes you are supposed to claim of course. Last year I sold a ton of my own items so kept a record of what was mine, what was for resale. I did a spreadsheet of resale on top of the excel sheet - so taxes owed. Then mine- not owed(as they are sold at a loss - bought for $50 sold for $20 etc). Then the expenses underneath - poly's, paper, receipts or written account of purchases. Then deducted the expenses from the income. Then gave the total income amounts to my Father in law (cpa, does our taxes). He did add in a few more things as he is in the know like milage write off etc.

The record is really just if you get audited. I would advise for any DS purchases for the buyer to write the item in the "note to buyer" as that helps identify what it is.

If you are like me and get a refund(yeah yeah....I know, tax free loan etc) then it just reduces the amount of your refund so not a big deal.

Great thread OP
Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
Free tax advice!!

But about the use of special characters in the title... I've never had a problem. Over half my listings use the slash character but still show up fine in all the searches I've experimented with...
that comes from ebay so IDK? I just do what they recommend LOL.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
wowgirl38
Registered Users

Wow, I would have never taken something apart to sell the parts, just checked the parts for the blender I was throwing away...welp someone is gonna make 10 extra bucks! Thanks!!!
wowgirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the inspiring post! I used to sell on Ebay a lot years ago, but got lazy & quit. I just listed 7 items that I wanted gone, but hadn't done anything about. I hate trying to decide what things might be worth to people, so I just started my auctions at 99 cents & hoped for the best!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #30
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Ever since I wrote the thread I've been getting many PMs asking Ebay questions. I'd really prefer to have the questions posted to this thread so the Q&A can be seen by others and I don't have to answer the same PMs again and again. Thanks!