Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey -Winter Thread

I always struggle with this time of year. Money is being spent like crazy, but it's on stuff we would need anyway and this is the cheapest time to get it - like DH's socks, dress shirts for work, things for daily use that we buy 1x / year at often 70% off. And the money is budgeted, I'm just so much in the no spend habit that to spend is hard.

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBum View Post
So we need a little bit of help?
We are doing well, saving a little each month but don't have health insurance, and I don't think we are consistently saving enough to be able to get it from what I have found?
My husband works for a small company that doesn't offer insurance, and we would really rather not be on Obama care, does anyone know of some affordable options?
We have looked at Samaritan but I don't think my husband is comfortable with it.
I can tell he is getting stressed especially sense the baby is near due. Prayers for no complications and we will be fine because we have the money saved to pay cash! But a hospital transfer would be devastating right now...
Obamacare isn't something you are "on." It's just a law that requires you to have some kind of health insurance or cost sharing plan. So you could buy Blue Cross privately, but that wouldn't make you "on Obamacare." You would just be protecting your family, while also complying with the law.

My twin sister has Samaritan and it has been great for them. We will be switching to http://www.chministries.org in January when DH's work insurance changes (for the much, much worse). I also researched https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/ and they look great. My SIL's best friend uses them and has all good things to say.

But get something now, before baby comes. What if something does go wrong? My older sister's son had $480,000 in unexpected medical bills in the first 6 months. They had insurance, so they paid only the deductible plus coinsurance, about $9,000 total. They could afford that easily with their emergency fund. But $480,000 would have destroyed them.

Last edited by Melinda29; 11-23-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #13
kotrysl
Registered Users

I am on prestep 1 and have finished baby step 1 and am working on baby step 2... I know it sounds funny to save that we have step 1 complete and working on 2, but I'd rather have some money in the bank for when I stop working and we go down to 1 income to help alleviate the shock...
I have a blue Cross plan that was on the affordable health care website... it has awesome coverage, until I got pregnant and went to use it.... I have a $1000 deductible that I thought was awesome.. but I have to use in network doctors... well no OB in my area is in network with my select plan... and my insurance doesn't allow out of network doctors... the kids are on florida kid care and thankfully I got approved for pregnancy medicaid... the hospital that we are looking at using is in network.. but I'm approved for Medicaid so I almost had to pay all doctor/midwife costs out of pocket... I was nervous for a bit.. but my plan on that program other than this instance is awesome and it's a better price than what we can get on our own... so definitely check it out for your area... I just didn't think to check out the maternity area, as I figured if my primary doctors all accepted my insurance..
Good luck

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
kotrysl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
punksalad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How is everybody doing with the holidays and budgeting? We are doing pretty well. Staying on track.

Currently, we are also saving to purchase my parents' car. We should have the money saved in January. We are in steps 4,5, and 6. We haven't started on 6, but will in the new year. We both just got serious about retirement. I don't what has take. Is so long!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksalad View Post
How is everybody doing with the holidays and budgeting? We are doing pretty well. Staying on track.

Currently, we are also saving to purchase my parents' car. We should have the money saved in January. We are in steps 4,5, and 6. We haven't started on 6, but will in the new year. We both just got serious about retirement. I don't what has take. Is so long!!!
Good luck with setting up your retirements. Dave Ramsey has endorsed local providers... they usually are willing to give you a free consult & discuss where you are at. (Most banks will do this also)

If you have a "Match" at your jobs... Make sure you take advantage of that. (If someone is willing to double your money, take that opportunity!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
punksalad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Good luck with setting up your retirements. Dave Ramsey has endorsed local providers... they usually are willing to give you a free consult & discuss where you are at. (Most banks will do this also) If you have a "Match" at your jobs... Make sure you take advantage of that. (If someone is willing to double your money, take that opportunity!)
Thanks! We both have our work matches and we have anELP.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksalad View Post
Thanks! We both have our work matches and we have anELP.
Our ELP was over 400 miles away so we went with a local company.

It was actually a huge hassle! We started in Jan & we still have one retirement fund not rolled over. They also waited over 6 months to sell stock for us & that stock went down (A LOT! It was 1/15 the value!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #18
punksalad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Our ELP was over 400 miles away so we went with a local company. It was actually a huge hassle! We started in Jan & we still have one retirement fund not rolled over. They also waited over 6 months to sell stock for us & that stock went down (A LOT! It was 1/15 the value!)
That's terrible. There's one about 7 miles from us. We like him a lot!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #19
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I look forward to getting to the save for retirement step! We are in our early 30's so we need to get to it. Our student loans are a HUGE mountain to climb. One step at a time. We will get there!
Old 11-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
punksalad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
I look forward to getting to the save for retirement step! We are in our early 30's so we need to get to it. Our student loans are a HUGE mountain to climb. One step at a time. We will get there!
Do you both have loans?