Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #21
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by punksalad
Do you both have loans?
yes

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
punksalad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
yes
Well, shoot.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #23
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey -Winter Thread

We are starting baby step 2. We actually already started in Nov but were suppose to start officially in Dec when we scheduled the retirement deposits to stop. Dh had some overtime so we went ahead and used it to start on our first debt. We've had a realistic budget set for a couple of years but have never stuck to it. Its very realistic but we just kind of ignored it. Last month we made sure we stuck to it. Our hardest part will be sticking to the eating out budget.

We made a couple of adjustments to the plan though. We stopped money going into our emergency fund but we have more than $1000. We have a month in emergency funds. I can't have an emergency fund lower than that. We also kept a small amount going into kids' savings. I understand the concept. I really do. I understand its not saving if we're paying interest on debt but my anxiety just won't allow me to lower the emergency fund and completely stop money going into savings. Dh and I have gone back and forth about it but I just can't. If you could reason with anxiety then there would be no need for medication. It caused me considerable anxiety in stopping the emergency fund deposit at 1 month and I think the only reason I was able to was because we are still putting that small amount into the kids' savings. Dh on the other hand was more worried about stopping the retirement.

We have done well with Christmas and staying on budget. I did boo-boo though and thought we had set a bigger budget for mine and dh's Christmas- my kindle died so I went ahead and bought a new one thinking our Christmas budget was bigger. I went over $40 but that will be taken out of overtime money for Nov.

I don't get overwhelmed thinking about it but I do kind of dread the budget- again its very reasonable, we set up to succeed not so unrealistic that we are doomed to fail. It just that we never really had a budget. We've always managed our money fairly well but didn't have a set budget. Even though we are both on fully on board we both really struggle with waiting to get something until we have the budgeted amount ready.

I am so excited to think we will be debt free (except our house) in less than 2 years. we will have our first debt paid off next month (a tractor- 9 months early). When i look at the amount of money we will be able to throw at our house, retirement, school, etc in 2 years I get really excited. I almost can't believe it. We're not there and we still have to get there but the thought is just unbelievable. and to continue to live that way is hard to imagine. We have always paid things off early but dh almost always buys something new to make up for it. Pay off the student loan, he buys a truck, pay off my car and he kills my 4 year old car by driving it through standing water and we have to get a new one. Pay off his truck and he buys a "fun" car. Pay off the fun car and he buys a tractor. Pay off my car and he buys a new truck- he actually does drive his vehicles into the ground but it always seems to be time for a new one within a month of paying something else off. He started a couple of months ago (before we looked into Dave Ramsey) talking about trading in the tractor for a bigger one when we pay it off (we were already scheduled to pay it off 2 months early). I have reminded him a couple of times already - as he did me - that all vehicles will have to be paid in cash from now on. I hate it when he makes me be the bad guy. he brought Dave Ramsey to me and said he wanted to get on track but I have to be the one who points out- where is that money coming from? or that is not in the budget? Even today he went to the hardware store and I asked- where are you getting the money from? We don't have anything in the envelope for house stuff right now. In the past he always goes off on the I make xyz, I can buy a whatever it is he wants at the time. Then he accuses me of spending all the money even though I show him the budget and show him that its is all accounted for, its not just being randomly spent. We did say at the start of this though that we would need to remind each other gently- that is not part of our plan. And I am rambling.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Siding is all finished, got the bill, we came in a little low but not much. we also did a lot of what we could ourselves. Except we still don't have outdoor lights back up, we are waiting for several menards rebates to see about getting new ones of those and door handles (dog bites in one of ours)

We are selling off a car, and a truck (the car has 250k so only asking $300 but it runs well, the truck a mechanic special I don't think dh has listed it yet). we could scrap them but we would get maybe $100 the price of scrap metal is low (and we do have scraps that need to go too).

I need to get new furniture, our dog was sick all over every piece that could absorb liquid, in October, 2 sets of mattresses, our love seat and couch. our couch and loveseat are threadbare and the arms falling off. And the mattresses were old and full of dust mites. so we needed to replace everything anyway. ds2 and I are both allergic to dust. And yes I've used the pet cleaning stuff, the smell is still there as is the dust. In case you couldn't tell, I can't get used due to dust and mold being issues for us.

still waiting to hear if our chainsaws can be fixed or should we just buy a new one. we have 3 chainsaws and none of them work.

Dh needs to get either a plow or a plow mount for his new truck. we have one kind of plow and mounting stuff for 2 different kinds of trucks and it of course came with a different kind of mount on it. he should get that taken care of before it snows. As should the tires.

at this point, the boys are getting needs for Christmas and very few of them, normally we would do an experience, but they will get that all summer with the new to us camper and boat.

So, I hope to get back on a budget come January, but we will have to re-write it since our mortgage pmt went up and so did our boy's eating needs. Since April things have been coming up so fast and so much that we haven't been able to save anything. ds1's hospital bill should be just about paid off from his surgery at the end of June, so we'll finish that bill off. than the only other loan is for a lawn mower, and we should be able to pay it off early.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #25
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Re: health insurance
I googled, "free clinics"
If you live near a large city, for example, NYC, you might be able to go to a free, preventive care type of clinic that offers many health related services in addition to medical care, ie. maternity, dental, casework, etc. Totally free to the walk-in user; it is a public service extension, on taxpayers. If you have a need google in your nearest large city, you may have something similar to the googled information above available! Most of what I found are near WIC offices or in areas of high need. If things are rough financially, at least you may be able to maintain health. Just FYI
Re: Every Dollar
It has helped here, I do not go online for this which takes time to actually sit and input information, I actually have a notebook I can look at whenever, but I pretty much use the template form on the Dave Ramsey Every Dollar in the same way as the online version.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 11-28-2015 at 01:39 PM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #26
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

JBug- Don't feel bad at wanting to have more than $1000 in an emergency fund. I personally think each person knows for themselves what they "NEED" to feel secure. I didn't feel secure with only $1000 in savings. If you need a little more in savings so you can safely start the process, then do what you need to do!

I think the $1000 is for people who are living paycheck to paycheck and have zero savings. If you normally have zero savings ... $1000 is more of a safety net than the person had when they had nothing. For some people, they have $500 rent and others might have a $1200 a month mortgage payment. So really it should be based on what your family would NEED & your REAL expenses.

Also you are encouraged to set up "funds" to save for expenses in the future (like car repairs, gifts, etc) So the total amount of your savings should not be $1000. The $1000 (or whatever amount you choose) is set aside as the "Emergency ONLY" money for unforeseen events.

drabekgirl- I can't believe how much scrap metal has dropped! It's crazy! DH called a few months ago because we were going to junk a car. We ended up selling it instead due to the crazy low scrap prices.
We just bought a house & there is a ton of junk (Literally & figuratively) in the sheds. I wish the price of scrap was higher. At this point, we will cross our fingers the price goes up before we haul it off. (We are working on the inside of the house before we start the tackle the outbuildings. We probably will start that in Spring/summer since it's it's rather cold out & buildings are not heated) )

DS is allergic to dust mites (It's actually one of the most common allergies for people to have). We always use mattress protectors on all our mattresses! I vacuum ours once every 3 months also.

Vinegar is suppose to help with smells. After cleaning the mattress, you can blow dry it with a hair dryer. The heat of a blow dryer is suppose to kill dust mites& would help to kill any mold/prevent mold. Also, according to a study at the University of Sydney Australia, adding Eucalyptus essential oil to your wash will eliminate 99% of dust mites from your bedding. It might not hurt to put some on your Mattresses (If nothing else you could do this in the future to keep them away.)

SharedTheJourney- I wanted to add to your post :
Most county health departments have medical services on a sliding scale. (In many states, the Wic offices are in the same location). This is usually at a reduced cost or free to those that are very low income. It doesn't always come up on a google search for free clinics but this is available even to people in rural areas. This might include prenatal care/post natal care/ baby check ups ... but it would not cover the actual delivery if done at a hospital.

If a county health department didn't offer services, they always can tell someone where to get free/reduced cost medical.

I don't really care for EveryDollar as I feel like it doesn't offer everything my family needs & some of it is redundant. I feel like it's hard to reconcile at the end of a month. I gave up on it & we do an excel spreadsheet. I would be happy with just pen & paper but DH likes the computer version. We print it out monthly so I still get the physical copy to scribble on. (Silly but I prefer to see it & make notes & do a little addition/subtraction on the back/sides as we go along.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #27
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are other options! Per other's suggestions and postings, clinics do offer preventive care and referrals for free or minimal costs, ie. sliding scale. Child delivery, or surgeries also have options! Hospitals can negotiate bills for reduction on the total, they can provide sliding scale fees, they can provide payment plans, they can also provide referrals to appeal an account of special funds that are held for special cases of hardship, etc. Hospitals (Public, and most private) are also held under the law which prohibits that they turn away the care of, or transport out a patient seeking their help during births and emergencies, etc. Under this law, they must treat first regardless of securing on the spot funds or if the person is uninsured. This is one of the jobs of the onsite social workers, they work hand in hand with the hospital accounting department in order to both secure funds for the hospital by looking at all the resources that the individual is able to secure and also referring the individual to acquire resources. I know first hand (not an intended pun when I explain further) that hospitals can work with patients and their payment capacities. I injured my hand many years ago and needed surgery to reconstruct. Uninsured at the time. Referred to hospital's committee for special consideration. Got bill reduced. There is no need to worry, only need is to seek resources, they are out there. Good luck.

Rdesonia, me too. I like the notebook. It is just the same here with writing notes, opening quickly, etc. Don't like to use the computer version of EveryDollar simply because it just takes too much time scrolling through.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 12-01-2015 at 11:17 AM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #28
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dh & I need to sit down to do Dec budget. Normally we would have had it done by now but things have been crazy.

We completely messed up everything when we bought the house and spent money allocated for other things. I don't regret it. We started Financial peace at the beginning of the year. We will end the year debt free & owning a home with no mortgage!

We already discussed just starting over and redistributing things. We still have an emergency fund but we dipped into other savings like new car fund, baby fund, etc

We don't have a budget for our house repairs.... It feels really weird to just spend money & not have it be from an envelope or to have pre-figured out what we are going to spend. Every time we turn around there is a little thing here or there that we have to add to the list to buy. We are just painting & doing minor repairs that need to be done to make it livable. (Cosmetic stuff like new kitchen countertops will have to wait... I'll live with the almond green & gold speckled Formica. It's been around long enough that it's almost "cool" again. Ha Ha! ) We plan to remodel some things later but we will need to save up and probably wait till summer... or fall.

We also bought a new computer & new laptop. We had been saving for those. My laptop is overheating & randomly shutting off. The computer is messed up & crazy slow. (It's had stuff spilled on it by the 4 year old) We waited till Cyber Monday & did save a little.

DH will find out on the 7th or the 9th (I can't remember) if he is getting a bonus. We are not going to count that till it happens. He might not get a bonus as the past year was the lowest amount of profit the company has ever made. The company might decide to hold on to the profit if they project next year to be a bad year. I'm really hoping DH gets a bonus.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #29
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wrote the check to pay off our 1st debt . Now on to debt 2.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #30
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

The DR thread is back! Woo!

We're closing on our home purchase in 16 days. That's my big news. Accruing $145k of debt in one day....... and excited about it as we are putting down enough to negate PMI

I have a few goals for the upcoming year. We're out of debt minus student loan debt, which will come out of deferment next year. We made a big decision to hold off attacking it until after it comes out of deferment as 1) its large [$20k] and 2) we wanted to stop tossing away money to rent so we saved $40k for a home downpayment. After we close/move/etc we'll attack the loan... then onto the mortgage!

We have come so far and NEVER dreamed a home purchase would happen in our future. If we can do it anyone can