Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey/Budget/Debt Free fall/winter chat thread

Hmm, good thing to reflect on, as sales upon sales try to tempt us into spending more money.

We are mostly making 2016 financial goals; 2017 and beyond we'll likely have to reduce goals due to increased ongoing costs. The last few months here have been tight towards that end, and I anticipate that continuing on at uncomfortably restrictive levels for the indefinite future (years at least). Unfortunately there's unlikely to be any income increases beyond ~COL to help off-set this, so we won't be visiting any fast food restaurants for a long time. This also goes along with a crazy weekday schedule (DH and I up at 4:30 am and not to bed until 11 pm or later), so there's no time for exercise to help meet health goals. But the young kids will be happier and healthier, so it's an acceptable trade-off for now.

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
lolson3
Registered Users
seller
seller

I need to be more active here. I was stressing over how litte we've been putting in our college savings accts (5 kids!) We've been putting anything extra towards our mortgage. I was talking to dh about how we need to cut back and do it. The next day he got a raise It is a sign. We've also been saving money all year and putting it aside for an ira. Now I just need to prod dh so he opens the acct.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I opened an investing IRA on capitaloneinvesting it was pretty easy. I picked a vanguard mutual fund, so I don't have to worry about balancing my portfolio. Its shown on my account page for our capitalone360 account so I see what we are making or loosing and have quick access to transferring money to it.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think we're going to have to be less stringent on the money front in 2017. We have too many other stressors and DH is regularly being a crankypants (it's mostly due to sleep deprivation, but the cooking 100% from scratch etc is not helping when the kids insist he does most of the cooking (mama snuggle time), and he's also in charge of cleanup). Darn, and here I'd been hoping to make a few milestones in 2017.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH and I have said again we will sit down and look at the budget. Hopefully we will. I know we can get tighter on things. He has certain debts he is working on. I struggle with not knowing the details. I wabpnt to know. These are things his dad said he'd take care of when he was younger and never did. It was a hit to our present and future. I fell into some temptation with shopping but when we laid out our stuff for the kids I hadn't done as much as I thought which is good.

DH found the information on our capitalone360 so I finally transferred money over. I know DR would say pay the credit card off first but I was trying to have some $ in savings to show longevity when we move forward to buy a house. It will still be over a year though we had intended to only be at my parents house for a year. We did buy my dads 2006 car off him. So an extra $2500, but cheap for his car. This replaces our 2001 that's been needing a bit more in repairs. Hopefully this will be better for us moving forward.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Apparently we may continue to make financial milestones at the expense of sleep in 2017, as I tried offering that compromise to DH and he turned it down. He (understandably) loves all the weight he's lost and is still losing by eating essentially 100% homemade. So I guess the remaining question is no longer financial, of how to get DH more sleep so he's a happier person.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
Kitler
Registered Users

My Mood:

Literally JUST starting out on our debt free journey. Definitely need encouragement and company and looking forward to learning here
Kitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #18
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitler View Post
Literally JUST starting out on our debt free journey. Definitely need encouragement and company and looking forward to learning here
Good luck! I'm not on here regularly, but find checking in from time to be really helpful for inspiration and encouragement.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller
seller

Waiting to put the car my dad sold us cheap on the road. The one DH has been driving keeps having problems. He wants to fix one before we sell it, so there's a delay. The drivers side mirror was knocked off a few weeks ago and the person who did it gave him cash. My dad is complaining it's not registered yet.indont know if we should take the time to repair it as its already been a few weeks with no progress on finding a mirror at a junk yard. Then DH recently said he'd rather sell it and get an SUV. I'd prefer an SUV too but my dad got some repairs first b/c he was giving it to me.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #20
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bump for MamaChirpy!