Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #21
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey/Budget/Debt Free fall/winter chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Bump for MamaChirpy!

Oh duh!!! Thank you!!!

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #22
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Dave Ramsey/Budget/Debt Free fall/winter chat thread

Ok.... We are on the verge of setting up our emergency fund (finally) and paying off 3 out of 5 credit card accounts. (The other two are online lines of credit, so not actual credit cards but still.) We will also pay off a pretty hefty personal loan.
We are literally waiting for the checks to come!

We are also within 60 days of a significant increase in income for DH. Holding our breath because we don't know the amount yet but might know this week!

We have struggled so long because of our own STUPIDITY!!!! There were also a few things that happened that we couldn't avoid, but most of it was just poor planning and living above our means. There has never been a time in our marriage (9 years) where we didn't have debt. We are early and mid-30's and definitely know better now. But climbing out of this hole has been next to impossible.

The new plan is to continue living as if DH's salary is the same and attack the other two lines of credit, two cars (one of which we have at a dealership trying to sell) and the house.

I need somewhere to check in to keep motivation up and temptation away!!!!

Last edited by MamaChirpy; 01-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #23
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're here to help

Forgoing lifestyle creep will help on the debt-squashing, it's great you're willing to do that. And if you need other motivation, Dave Ramsey has 3 hours of radio show (without quite as many ads it's also available as podcasts) weekdays. I don't agree with several of his pieces of advice, but from a behavioral motivation standpoint he's good. If you find yourself with a drive to learn more (investing, etc), I'd recommend The Dough Roller, which has a podcast that's also clean on the language so I have no trouble listening to it with my kiddos around. If you prefer reading, The Dough Roller has a website and many of the podcasts have transcripts, or we can recommend library books depending on your goals (Millionaire Next Door, Bogleheads Guide to Investing, etc).
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
We're here to help

Forgoing lifestyle creep will help on the debt-squashing, it's great you're willing to do that. And if you need other motivation, Dave Ramsey has 3 hours of radio show (without quite as many ads it's also available as podcasts) weekdays. I don't agree with several of his pieces of advice, but from a behavioral motivation standpoint he's good. If you find yourself with a drive to learn more (investing, etc), I'd recommend The Dough Roller, which has a podcast that's also clean on the language so I have no trouble listening to it with my kiddos around. If you prefer reading, The Dough Roller has a website and many of the podcasts have transcripts, or we can recommend library books depending on your goals (Millionaire Next Door, Bogleheads Guide to Investing, etc).

Yes! Thank you! I need some serious help on knowing where to invest. I have no idea what to do there and I would prefer to do myself instead of going to an advisor.

I will look these resources up ASAP. Thank you very much!

By the way.... "Lifestyle creep" LOVE IT!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=twood80;17748913]Hmm, good thing to reflect on, as sales upon sales try to tempt us into spending more money."

This is the biggest budgetary derailing we have.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #26
drabekgirl
Registered Users

After years of being the bill payer I have given that area over to DH. If he thinks he can do a better job than me, I'll let him have them again. I had taken over because he wasn't necessarily paying things on time but within the grace period. Hopefully he will do better now.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

GUESS WHAT????

The big check we have been waiting on since Nov 1 came!!! This morning I paid off all three credit cards, a store account, and a chunk off a personal loan.
That leaves us with:
1. The personal loan
2. One store account
3. Vehicle one
4. Vehicle two
5. House

As soon as our tax refund comes, the personal loan will have only a tiny bit left.

I also FINALLY started our emergency fund!!!

I am so grateful today for this chance to gain momentum. Also, DH just got a significant pay raise, effective yesterday. God is so good. Even when we make stupid mistakes and need a bailout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #28
jessikate
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
GUESS WHAT????

The big check we have been waiting on since Nov 1 came!!! This morning I paid off all three credit cards, a store account, and a chunk off a personal loan.
That leaves us with:
1. The personal loan
2. One store account
3. Vehicle one
4. Vehicle two
5. House

As soon as our tax refund comes, the personal loan will have only a tiny bit left.

I am so grateful today for this chance to gain momentum. Also, DH just got a significant pay raise, effective yesterday. God is so good. Even when we make stupid mistakes and need a bailout!

Wow! So exciting to read this. Love getting those personal God hugs huh?

jessikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #29
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessikate View Post
Wow! So exciting to read this. Love getting those personal God hugs huh?

Yep! ❤️
Old 02-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #30
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
GUESS WHAT????

That leaves us with:
1. The personal loan
2. One store account
3. Vehicle one
4. Vehicle two
5. House

Woot! Woot! That is awesome!!!

I wrote out a plan to Dave-Ramsey-it and showed it To DH and he thinks it's a great idea. I'm over the moon thrilled to knock it all out.