Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pantry Challenge Anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving my family View Post
Can I ask everyone what you make or like to have on hand for breakfast? I am not a morning person even though I get up early with the kids every morning. Do you have any good ideas for a filling breakfast that's not real complicated or unhealthy. I am tired of buying cereal & my 9yr old would eat half the box in 1 go if I had cereal bowls big enough. Banana pancakes are a huge hit around here they only last 2 days most times. So what are your favorites?

I keep oatmeal, grits, bacon, eggs and toast on hand pretty much at all times. Unless we just happen to run out...

That gives us a choice every morning and nothing is too complicated. Oatmeal can have different toppings also.

Also, there is an overnight recipe on the Quaker box that looks so super good!

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I keep oatmeal, grits, bacon, eggs and toast on hand pretty much at all times. Unless we just happen to run out...

That gives us a choice every morning and nothing is too complicated. Oatmeal can have different toppings also.

Also, there is an overnight recipe on the Quaker box that looks so super good!
Thanks for the suggestion I will look up a overnight recipe, I am usually just out of time after I get lunches all made & packed up for the 4 school age kids to make a hot meal.
I know it will get easier when my youngest gets older but I am so darn tired in the morning I don't want to do anything & 5:45 comes to fast as it is. I just move slow in the morning I should really start getting up at 5:30 or earlier so I have time to make them a hot breakfast before they leave for the day. I just feel like I am burning my candle from both ends as it is right now...
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH spoils us with breakfast every weekday, making scrambled eggs with shredded cheddar for me and the daycare kiddo, the school aged kiddo gets to request breakfast (eggs, french toast, or homemade->frozen waffles or pancakes; the latter 3 get served with frozen->thawed fruit or real maple syrup); DH likes the excuse for variety for his own breakfasts. Which often means that weekend breakfast is cold cereal while DH sleeps in, and then starting in on cooking the more elaborate lunch.

So we keep cold cereal (raisin bran, wheat chex, plain cheerios, plain shredded wheat), milk, bacon (bought on sale cycle for $2.50/pound instead of standard $5), eggs, bread, homemade pancake/waffle mix, frozen fruit, and real maple syrup on hand.

Wow that feels like a lot typing it out, but we would already want milk, eggs, and bread on hand for other meals anyway, frozen fruit for smoothies and teething kiddos, and plain cheerios are our car snack of choice (kept in a lock&lock/snapware for freshness, serving done by reusing yogurt cups). That leaves several extra varieties of cereal, and the box of mix, and the syrup, as extras, maybe that's not so bad.

Speaking of too early in the morning, we feel it too, DH and I start our mornings at 4:30 in order to get everyone out the door for our daycare/school/2 parent WOH family. Breakfast, getting them ready, getting us ready, nursings, and making homemade lunches, it takes a long time especially if we want to avoid daily screamings for hurrying them too much.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Can I ask everyone what you make or like to have on hand for breakfast? I am not a morning person even though I get up early with the kids every morning. Do you have any good ideas for a filling breakfast that's not real complicated or unhealthy. I am tired of buying cereal & my 9yr old would eat half the box in 1 go if I had cereal bowls big enough. Banana pancakes are a huge hit around here they only last 2 days most times. So what are your favorites?
I used to cook breakfast but everyone demanded cereal so mostly it is cereal but when that months cereal is out it is oatmeal, toast, homemade sweet bread, burritos, or leftovers. Mostly it I leftovers.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Its alright I have a lot of food in our pantry as well as the storage room. I stock pile when canned food items go on sale & use them up until the next big sale. I have been rather lazy this fall in comparison to other yrs.
To list a few things off I have 5- 12packs of canned green bean flats, 3 flats of whole corn, 3 flats of sweet peas, 16 jars of unopened peanut butter. Plus what ever is in my cabinets in the kitchen. Probably 40ish lbs of white rice, 20ish lbs of brown rice, the 20lbs of dry pinto beans, & between 5-15lbs of black, red beans & lentils each. I bake a lot so my 25 lb bag of flour will run out by the end of February.
We are a larger family so we buy in bulk when we can. Shopping takes twice as long when you have to buy twice the amount of items. All in all stock piling it saves me on trips to the store other than weekly runs for milk & bread fruit & veggies whatnot.
Gosh typing that out I see I have a lot & that is not even close to everything, now I feel a bit embarrassed lol.
I probably have around 30-40lbs of frozen veggies. Maybe 50 or so cans each of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Around 50 jars of peanut butter, around 20 lbs of various flours. Maybe 50 of dried beans. 50 lbs of quinoa, and misc amounts of bulgar, split peas, and lentils. Currently out of brown rice and don't keep white on hand. And like you that is just for starters. Yes, I need help. Working on it. My kitchen is my only real area of problems.

In my defense concerning the peanut butter, I am picky on the kind, they are the smaller jars, and I stock up only when on deep sale. And my kids can go through 2-3 jars a week.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 01-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Its alright I have a lot of food in our pantry as well as the storage room. I stock pile when canned food items go on sale & use them up until the next big sale. I have been rather lazy this fall in comparison to other yrs.
To list a few things off I have 5- 12packs of canned green bean flats, 3 flats of whole corn, 3 flats of sweet peas, 16 jars of unopened peanut butter. Plus what ever is in my cabinets in the kitchen. Probably 40ish lbs of white rice, 20ish lbs of brown rice, the 20lbs of dry pinto beans, & between 5-15lbs of black, red beans & lentils each. I bake a lot so my 25 lb bag of flour will run out by the end of February.
We are a larger family so we buy in bulk when we can. Shopping takes twice as long when you have to buy twice the amount of items. All in all stock piling it saves me on trips to the store other than weekly runs for milk & bread fruit & veggies whatnot.
Gosh typing that out I see I have a lot & that is not even close to everything, now I feel a bit embarrassed lol.
Wow! I feel so much better we don't have quite that much, but we also are a small family and DH eats most meals at the hospital. I like to buy things when they're on sale and store them and then forget to use them up, though.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
If you brown a bunch of sausage with peppers/onions/tomatoes/whatever you want and keep it in the fridge or freezer, then it only takes a few minutes to add a scoop of that to a few eggs and scramble them in the morning.

I used to make a lot of granola and we ate it with milk, but DH got sick of that so we moved on. For a while I baked individual oatmeal's with berries once a week and them we microwaved them in the morning. I forget where that recipe is, but it's pretty good and healthy. Find any baked oatmeal recipe and make it in smaller glass containers. Then you just microwave and eat on the run!
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in for a pantry challenge. Dh just told me he needs new tires!! Ugh. Thankfully my folks brought us beef at Christmas. We haven't eaten at GNOME much due to a death in the family. So most of the beef is still here. Though looking at your posts I don't think we have so much on hand for sides and ingredients. Lol. But I'll see what we can doi. My poor kids made themselves noodle cups for dinner tonight because ii was at my in-laws doing thank you notes. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wanted to do the pantry challenge so I catalogued everything I had and made a meal plan for the next week. I didn't have quite enough to last a week (no milk, no eggs, etc) plus I had to buy laundry soap and a couple baking things to stretch some meals so I ran to the grocery store...still spent $100 and I'll have to go back again next week because we will literally have nothing left to eat at that point except flour, sugar, 1/2 box of pasta, and jalapeño jelly. I have no idea what to do with the jalapeño jelly..a friend made it and gave it to me before Christmas and I haven't even attempted to find out how to use it.
WannaBeGreen2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
I wanted to do the pantry challenge so I catalogued everything I had and made a meal plan for the next week. I didn't have quite enough to last a week (no milk, no eggs, etc) plus I had to buy laundry soap and a couple baking things to stretch some meals so I ran to the grocery store...still spent $100 and I'll have to go back again next week because we will literally have nothing left to eat at that point except flour, sugar, 1/2 box of pasta, and jalapeño jelly. I have no idea what to do with the jalapeño jelly..a friend made it and gave it to me before Christmas and I haven't even attempted to find out how to use it.
I have always wondered about that particular type of jelly. I love spicy foods but spicy jelly? Maybe baste chicken or a roast with it.

Let's see, so far I have spent I think $45 since first posting. Not since the beginning of the month. Will likely have to get milk tomorrow. I noticed we have less than half a gallon left

My only defense is my nieces and nephew are here for several days. So 2 extra mouths to feed. The littlest is tube fed so no pantry food for her. And no left overs either. I finally have enough mouths to feed I don't wind up with tons of left overs taking over my fridge.

I love the idea of the menu. No idea why it didn't occur to me before now. Will have to sit down and do just that