Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cloth kitchen

So we are trying to get into the idea of going cloth for the kitchen but I'm not sure where to start.

So we'd be replacing paper towel and napkins. I just have some questions and need some advice from mommas that have made the switch.

What do you use as paper towel/napkins? Specific brands/fabrics? How many do you purchase? How do you store them?

The biggest reason holding us back from the switch is how to store them and make them look presentable and not like we just have rags laying all over.

Any advice, tips, or tricks welcome!

Advertisement

kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use cloth napkins, purchased at a retailer. Some from Pier 1 and some from Home Goods. I have several sets of 4 matching, so they don't all match. Doesn't bother me. I did try to buy coordinating colors so when we have people over, it looks mismatched on purpose, not as though we are using rags. These are mostly nice quality fabrics that have stood up to multiple washes and bleached. I went cheap on a few because it's what I could afford at the time and those are showing their wear badly.

I have cloth towels for drying hands and dishes. None match. Doesn't bother me in the least since they are just rags. These are nice quality and have lasted us a long time, washing at least once a week.

We have two drawers in the kitchen for them. One for napkins (nicely folded) and kids face cloths, and one for kitchen towels also nicely folded. I know some people use their napkins and towels until they're thread-bare, but I am not one of those people. Once it starts looking worn out and more like a rag than an intentional towel, it gets demoted to "single use" status. I keep a bucket of these rags/towels in the laundry room for things like bleach clean up, throw up clean up, etc. Things that I will throw away if the mess warrants it. I just cut the corners off my towels or draw an X on them with a marker to denote that they are now rags. My great-grandmother used to stitch once across a rag when it moved from a kitchen towel to a bathroom towel, then add another stitch to form an X when the towel went from a bathroom towel to a rag. Once it served its life as an X rag, she burned it in the fireplace as kindling. Her system worked out really well and everyone who helped clean in the house knew what type of rag to look for while doing a specific chore.

I keep a roll of paper towels in the pantry for draining bacon or occasional use for other tasks. I just can't fathom draining bacon on a towel. Some people do and then throw the towel away, but if my towel is at the point that I'm okay throwing it away, it's cleaned my bathroom many, many times so that just weirds me out. We eat bacon maybe once every few months so a roll of paper towels (occasionally used by company if they choose to do so and maybe for wrapping a hot breakfast sandwich on the way out the door in a hurry) lasts us around 6 months if not more.

I bought a 3 pack of paper towels most recently and 2 of the 3 rolls have been sitting in a cabinet for well over 6 months.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Cloth kitchen

Cloth napkins- osocozy flannel wipes. Got a ton from a mama here...maybe 7 dozen. Could easily get away with 2 dozen, because we wash often. But, I let my kids use them for runny noses during colds and use bleach during that time, so we go through the stack quickly. Those I have stacked in a pretty wooden bowl by the table. Since, they are white we do have some that are stained, but it doesn't bother me. When we have company I usually plan on paper napkins, but the kids are used to passing those out. So far we've gotten compliments though.

Kitchen- for the face we use gmd velour/terry and I keep them in a wire hanging basket (or the kids would go through them quickly) maybe 4 dozen, but 2 would probably be plenty.

Messes and scrubbing the tables, we have small microfiber rags under the sink, quick access for the kids.

Kitchen towels are my old green edge gmd flats, I usually keep one on hand in the car.

For the bathroom hand towels we use the gmd muslin flats.

Like pp, we use paper towels for grease. My leach field would not do well with it. If we lived in town, I would still use paper. They sent out a letter of how problematic grease down the drains is for them.

Stains don't bother me like I thought they would. I had initially planned on tie dying them, but never got around to it. My grandma would not be happy with me, she was very good with demoting towels. Lol. This season in my life, I'm content with cleanliness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cloth kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
Cloth napkins- osocozy flannel wipes. Got a ton from a mama here...maybe 7 dozen. Could easily get away with 2 dozen, because we wash often. But, I let my kids use them for runny noses during colds and use bleach during that time, so we go through the stack quickly. Those I have stacked in a pretty wooden bowl by the table. Since, they are white we do have some that are stained, but it doesn't bother me. When we have company I usually plan on paper napkins, but the kids are used to passing those out. So far we've gotten compliments though.

Kitchen- for the face we use gmd velour/terry and I keep them in a wire hanging basket (or the kids would go through them quickly) maybe 4 dozen, but 2 would probably be plenty.

Messes and scrubbing the tables, we have small microfiber rags under the sink, quick access for the kids.

Kitchen towels are my old green edge gmd flats, I usually keep one on hand in the car.

For the bathroom hand towels we use the gmd muslin flats.

Like pp, we use paper towels for grease. My leach field would not do well with it. If we lived in town, I would still use paper. They sent out a letter of how problematic grease down the drains is for them.

Stains don't bother me like I thought they would. I had initially planned on tie dying them, but never got around to it. My grandma would not be happy with me, she was very good with demoting towels. Lol. This season in my life, I'm content with cleanliness

ETA: forgot the cleaning/dusting, we have 3 dozen microfiber rags from Amazon. When we are cleaning I have everybody grab a couple so scrub or dust anything and everywhere. Then I have everybody toss a couple under their feet to snatch up the dust bunnies.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Weird, I thought I hit edit, not quote. Sorry about the extra posts.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use cloth napkins for hands faces, paper towels to sit bacon on or to help wipe up egg messes before I use disinfecting wipes.

As I am reading this I can't help but wonder if I am the only 1 who saves the bacon grease in a jar for cooking eggs in later...rather than using butter to make over easy eggs.?.?
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving my family View Post
I use cloth napkins for hands faces, paper towels to sit bacon on or to help wipe up egg messes before I use disinfecting wipes.

As I am reading this I can't help but wonder if I am the only 1 who saves the bacon grease in a jar for cooking eggs in later...rather than using butter to make over easy eggs.?.?

We use flats of varying brands. Have the folded and stored in a drawer.

And I don't save bacon grease. My husband is allergic to pork so no bacon grease for eggs or I would need two pans. My children are allergic to dairy so no butter either for the same reason. We use oil. Either vegetable oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loving my family
I use cloth napkins for hands faces, paper towels to sit bacon on or to help wipe up egg messes before I use disinfecting wipes. As I am reading this I can't help but wonder if I am the only 1 who saves the bacon grease in a jar for cooking eggs in later...rather than using butter to make over easy eggs.?.?
I don't save it, but we don't eat over easy eggs and I don't use oil to cook with so I have no need for it. If I cook bacon I'll keep a bit in the pan to scramble my eggs in, but I wouldn't save it to use later. Too much of a germ-breeding bacteria colony for this germ-aphobe to handle.

My mom kept a jar growing up and I always wondered how long that bottom layer of grease had been in the jar because she always just took from the top when cooking. She never emptied the jar that I'm aware of and that just grosses me out. Years of bacon grease potentially!?! She still uses the same jar she did 20+ years ago. She doesn't make bacon often, but I hope she's cleaned it out in the past 20 years.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
We use flats of varying brands. Have the folded and stored in a drawer.

And I don't save bacon grease. My husband is allergic to pork so no bacon grease for eggs or I would need two pans. My children are allergic to dairy so no butter either for the same reason. We use oil. Either vegetable oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.
That makes sense.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
I don't save it, but we don't eat over easy eggs and I don't use oil to cook with so I have no need for it. If I cook bacon I'll keep a bit in the pan to scramble my eggs in, but I wouldn't save it to use later. Too much of a germ-breeding bacteria colony for this germ-aphobe to handle.

My mom kept a jar growing up and I always wondered how long that bottom layer of grease had been in the jar because she always just took from the top when cooking. She never emptied the jar that I'm aware of and that just grosses me out. Years of bacon grease potentially!?! She still uses the same jar she did 20+ years ago. She doesn't make bacon often, but I hope she's cleaned it out in the past 20 years.
Oh I wash & clean my jars out I have 2 lol just so it doesn't get piled up. What your mom does with her jars is the same as my mom & I couldn't stand that growing up. It will smell rancid when going bad just like shortening & if I even think its going to turn soon I scrape it out into the trash & wash the jar to start over. We go in spurts of eating bacon so I don't always have it on hand but when I do cook it we make a lot.