Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2017, 12:04 AM   #11
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cloth kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving my family View Post
I use cloth napkins for hands faces, paper towels to sit bacon on or to help wipe up egg messes before I use disinfecting wipes.

As I am reading this I can't help but wonder if I am the only 1 who saves the bacon grease in a jar for cooking eggs in later...rather than using butter to make over easy eggs.?.?

We don't use real butter either due to allergies. I do have some bacon grease saved in the fridge, incase I want to "touch up" the seasoned cast iron, but haven't needed to. We usually use Pam cooking spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #12
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
We don't use real butter either due to allergies. I do have some bacon grease saved in the fridge, incase I want to "touch up" the seasoned cast iron, but haven't needed to. We usually use Pam cooking spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have cooking spray I use for breakfast potatoes & what not
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:42 AM   #13
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

OP I am sorry I hijacked your thread.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #14
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I serged napkins and they just stay in a pile on the table. There are a lot of small children and we go through a ton of them. For kitchen towels we use flats, folded and kept in the cabinet.

I save bacon grease in mason jars. We don't make bacon often but when we do we make 3 pounds, which is a lot of grease. It just about fills a pint jar. We keep one for using and if we have more than we will use up we give it away.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #15
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

jen_batten, That is usually how much I make when cooking bacon & it is a lot of grease!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Cloth napkins for the table setting. Paper towels and disposable baby wipes for all else. We don't reuse oils/fats. If making a roasted chicken or such, I will use an aluminum pan and discard the oils. Like someone else mentioned, not worth the grease clogs in the plumbing system, so the aluminum disposable at the dollar store help us. We do reuse the extra large glass jars purchased with pickles, or such for cereals, flour, pasta, rice. The glass jars keep the foods fresh.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 PM   #17
Blissedfun
Registered Users

I use 99.9% cloth in the kitchen (with the exception of one roll of paper towel stashed away for dog vomit...once or twice a year at most but I only use the paper for it...yuk).

I use cheap ikea tea towels for just about everything. They have a red a stripe in them. They are crazy cheap. I will buy 15 at a time and use them till they have holes. They are good for literally anything. I think they are 70 ceants each.

I have a large drawer in my kitchen and all the kitchen linen goes in there. The kids can reach in and grab one easy which I kove.
Blissedfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #18
kanga1622
Registered Users

We have two kitchen drawers solely for washcloths and towels. We can easily do an entire large load of just kitchen stuff if we waited until the drawers were empty. We have a laundry basket in our bedroom that all the wet washcloths and towels go into. We typically wash that load every 2-3 days so they don't cause any issues. We might have 3-4 towels/cloths sitting on the counter as we are cooking/cleaning but walk them down the hall to the basket at least 3 times a day so no visitor would even notice we don't have paper towels and they don't see anything dirty sitting around.

I haven't bought paper towels in years. We use relatively cheap washcloths for a lot of our clean up. We have some "bath" washcloths that are great for heavier scrubbing. I like the "bar" towels because they are thicker (or we use the bath hand towels from sets we got as wedding gifts).

Old cloth flats or flour sack towels also get a ton of use in drying hands and dishes because they dry quickly.

We lucked into some cloth napkins at a garage sale but before that we just gave washcloths to the kids to use.

Last edited by kanga1622; 02-01-2017 at 05:53 PM.
kanga1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I have a set of cloth napkins that MIL got me for my birthday several years ago. They are stored in a basket on the table, easy to grab when needed. Dish rags and towels are kept in a drawer. I have a bunch of them so I take a new one out at least once a day. Dirty ones go in the washing machine, which is right next to the kitchen, and just gets washed with whatever the next load of laundry is.

For bacon, I will use the random paper napkins that we get in the occasional fast food take out bag. I can't imagine using cloth for that.

My boys get a ton of hand-me-down clothes, so by the time they go through at least one kid (sometimes more) and then my two, they are often torn or stained and not in good enough shape to pass on to someone else. Those clothes get cut up for rags, and if I have something yucky that I don't want to wash I have no problem just throwing it away. Lately we have ended up with way more old clothes than I can use, so I have been cutting them up even smaller and using them as tissues that I then throw away.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #20
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

We were given 3 sets of 4 nice cotton napkins for our wedding. I cut them in fourths and serged the edges in coordinating colors, since they were unnecessarily large, so now we have 3 sets of 16. Each set has lasted us 7-8 years of heavy use before totally falling apart. I just pulled out a new set in January. I keep them in a pretty basket on the counter.

Dish cloths and kitchen towels are kept in a drawer by the sink and I use a clean one every meal. The dirties go straight into the washing machine and get washed with whatever laundry goes in next.

Unprocessed fat is the cleanest burning energy source you can put in your body, so I'm not throwing that away. We save bacon grease in a jar in the fridge. I always make broth from roasted chicken bones, so the extra fat ends up in the broth. I don't drain fat from ground beef, just mix it into the dish I'm making.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-02-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote