Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #21
EnlistedinHisArmy
Registered Users

Re: Cloth kitchen

I made my un paper towels out of flour sack towels. I cut them in quarters and finished the edges. An easy project if you have a sewing machine. I keep them in a hanging cloth grocery bag dispenser that I made. I like it that way since I use my un paper towels for gross stuff and they are pretty stained. I don't have to fold them, just stuff them into the dispenser and they are ready for when disaster happens.
For my hand towels and dish clothes I fold them and put them in a basket that sits on the microwave. They used to be in a drawer but I ran out of drawer space in this kitchen.
For napkins I have 9"x9" flannel pieces that have surged edges. I got them off etsy since I wanted them to look nice. Unfortunately I regret that decision bc the flannel is cheap and looks worn/piled and is not nice looking. my diaper wipes look nicer!
For bacon grease, I just put the pan in the trash and let it all drip for a couple hours. And then I scrape it out with a plastic scraper. No paper towels needed.
I keep a wicker basket in the dinning room that all the dirty rags go in. I put a dab of bleach in the wash every now and again.

Advertisement

EnlistedinHisArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #22
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlistedinHisArmy
I made my un paper towels out of flour sack towels. I cut them in quarters and finished the edges. An easy project if you have a sewing machine. I keep them in a hanging cloth grocery bag dispenser that I made. I like it that way since I use my un paper towels for gross stuff and they are pretty stained. I don't have to fold them, just stuff them into the dispenser and they are ready for when disaster happens. For my hand towels and dish clothes I fold them and put them in a basket that sits on the microwave. They used to be in a drawer but I ran out of drawer space in this kitchen. For napkins I have 9"x9" flannel pieces that have surged edges. I got them off etsy since I wanted them to look nice. Unfortunately I regret that decision bc the flannel is cheap and looks worn/piled and is not nice looking. my diaper wipes look nicer! For bacon grease, I just put the pan in the trash and let it all drip for a couple hours. And then I scrape it out with a plastic scraper. No paper towels needed. I keep a wicker basket in the dinning room that all the dirty rags go in. I put a dab of bleach in the wash every now and again.
Do you put the pan in hot or wait for it to cool first? I feel like if you waited for it to cool the grease would start congealing. I never leave dishes dirty that long, but this actually sounds like a good idea I might try if I can figure out the details.
WannaBeGreen2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #23
jessikate
Registered Users

would pictures be possible? Of the unpaper towels? This is a great idea! My partner loves paper towels so we buy and I can't convince him I can reuse them once they dry.:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jessikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #24
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 'unpaper' towels. Kitchen towels really, are just flats. So any random flats picture would show what we have.

We generally go through about half a dozen cloths on any given day. Some days more.

I don't think I would reuse paper towels
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #25
goMamaMel
Registered Users

We use cloth napkins purchased at various places when I can get a good deal. Some from Homegoods in clearance section. Others I have found at garage sales and thrift stores. They don't match. It doesn't bother me.
I have separate kitchen towels and rags. My kids know it drives me nuts when the two are confused. Kitchen towels are tea towels purchased (usually on clearance) at various retailers, as well as some flower sacks. These are used for drying hands/wiping down cleaned off counters, and I pull a new one out each day a the end of the night once I've cleaned the dishes, sink, and counter.
Rags are for everything else... spills on the floor, wiping down windows... etc. These are stored in a separate drawer in a different part of the house. Rags are the one thing in my house that consistently gets washed in bleach.

I do keep paper napkins on hand for company. mostly because my in laws make comments about having to use rags for napkins. It doesn't bother me, but its easier (and oh so hospitable of me) to have napkins available for them. I keep paper towels on hand for gross jobs, and, like many others have said, for draining fried food.

You don't have to take the plunge all at once! start with one area of your kitchen and let it expand. I thought it would be more work but once everyone was on the same page, it all seems to work out just fine in our house.
J- 4/2011 & E- 4/2013 & L- 6/2014 & baby #4 4/2017
goMamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
Cottontailmom
Registered Users

We have a bunch of cloth napkins that I have picked up along the way from Target, Pier 1, etc. Sometimes they match, sometimes they don't. When it is just us, I don't care. When company comes over, I do make a bit of effort to make sure they match. We have some nice waffle weave type dish towels that I use for the counters and drying dishes. We are not completely paper-free as we do keep a roll of paper towels around for frying bacon and tortillas. When my parents visit, it is always a little tense as my father uses LOTS of paper towels. LOTS. A tiny little spill of OJ could mean 8 or 9 sheets. Drives me INSANE.
Cottontailmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #27
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I talked about reducing paper towel use at a thrifty mom group ii go to. At first they looked at me like I was nuts. Lol but I think I convinced them that putting up the paper towels and using kitchen towels for most things iis a good money saving idea.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #28
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we never had paper products growing up so i never used them as an adult either. i just have hand towels and kitchen rags
Old 04-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #29
Bargain Mama
Registered Users

I got a bunch of cloth napkins from thrift stores and they work great! Just make sure you get a kind that will absorb and wipe easily. I got some that were not very absorbent - the fabric is the kind that looks almost shiny. Unless you really care about them all matching, this is the way to go! Or sales, like other people have mentioned.
Bargain Mama is offline   Reply With Quote