Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How prepared are you?

I always thought i was a bit prepared in the event of a disaster. One night without water proved me wrong. This morning I ran to the nearest gas station to pee and buy water so we could brush our teeth. I did manage to find a bit of water to flush the toilet. But that won't last long. Dh just shrugged and said he'd brush his teeth at work. Thanks, hon.

Even our rain barrel is empty, since we drain it for the winter.

How would you make out?

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
kanga1622
Registered Users

We have a 2 gallon water pitcher in the fridge for drinking, cooking, etc. We usually have a gallon-ish of distilled water around for my CPAP machine too. It would get us through for a little bit. We could always go to my work if we needed. Where I work has a demonstration apartment that would allow us to shower, cook, or do laundry if only our house was affected by the water issue.

We lost water for a couple days when we had an 18 month old in the house. We just wore gloves when changing diapers and was very happy when the water was back and we could wash diapers. That next summer they replaced our water main so hopefully we won't have problems anytime soon.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How prepared are you?

Right now we have a case of bottled water and I am glad you asked because I'm down to one gallon jug of water in the basement. I need more water for sure.

I have a jug that purifiers water for a real emergency.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After the fact I realized that there are about 40 gallons of water in the hot water tank that would work!! I'm emptying iit now. Not to use. To clean the tank. We have cold water now. Dh will fix the hot when he gets home.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I caned some water a couple years ago so we could have some for toilet, also some gallons of drinking water and a couple water bottles. One does have to change out the water once and a while if one wants to drink it though. I also have caned juices.

I actual went 6 months without being able to drink the water at our house and out of those 6 months 3 months of that time we could not even shower or wash our laundry in our water, but we could use the toilet. And it was right after I had #2. So I do have an igloo and 5 gallon water containers. If we have to get some water we can. Oh back in the day I worked at the YMCA so we would shower there. I'm guessing both dh and I can find a place to take a shower now.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

On reading these stories, I realize I am not as prepared as I should be. Time to do so. At the very least, get water and put some up for drinking. Have some regular 5 gallon buckets maybe for wash, etc.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 03-27-2017 at 08:26 AM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have family we could go to for showering. The repairs didn't go as planned last night. So this morning ii heated waster on the stove to wash dishes. Fun. Lol.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
ssimet
Registered Users
seller

I know we are not prepared! My significant other is obsessed with cleaning out the cupboard until it is bare then restocking.... we also need to stock up on water. We do have lots of family close by but that is no guarantee!
ssimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
We have family we could go to for showering. The repairs didn't go as planned last night. So this morning ii heated waster on the stove to wash dishes. Fun. Lol.

How are the repairs going?
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
abh5e8
Registered Users

Not enough. It's in my list of things to do. I know I have 15 gallons of Clean drinking water and another 5 or so distilled. We have a big hot water heater Tank and a couple of cases of bottled water in the garage. But I don't think that is really enough for a family of seven.

Anyone know what the recommend amount of person is?