Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Fixing versus Replacing

My bread maker died this morning. I opened it up and realized the belt had come off the gear. Quick youtube video later and I am back in business.

It used to be that it was possible to repair items and it was worth doing but now everything is disposable.

Have you been able to fix any household items and save your household $?

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Fixing versus Replacing

Dh and my oldest are awesome at fixing things but I find sometimes anymore it costs more to fix than replace. Vacuums for example I just replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Eldest ds is the handy one but he wasn't up yet so I figured I'd try it.

Most other things have been a loss.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
kanga1622
Registered Users

It is hard to fix things anymore as they are not made to last and so much has motherboards. No sense trying to fix most washers these days as the motherboard costs a fortune and finding parts can be tricky.

We try hard to buy the least fancy model hat does what we need to help reduce repair expenses. Although that is harder to do. Our washer is a plain top loader, not HE, with simple knobs - no computer panel except for the lights telling you where it is at in the cycle. I wish I could get one like I grew up with push buttons and you only knew it was done when it was quiet.

We did "repair" our dryer awhile back. Took the entire thing apart and vacuumed it out. Spent several hours and never really saw anything that seemed like it would be a problem but the dryer started working much better after that.

We have repaired our kitchen sink faucet twice. We keep springing a leak in the hose for the sprayer attachment. Moen sends us new parts and I just replace them. They are going to hate us knowing that we are under warranty for this item as it keeps happening but I won't get a new fixture when I can fix it for free.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
andunc02
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS2 broke our smart tv that we got for Christmas over 2 yrs ago. He thought he could make the dinosaurs fight. The tv on the outside looks perfectly fine but there is absolutely no reason to repair the inner screen. It's just as expensive to repair the screen as it is to buy a new TV. Add in the technological advancements in the past 2 yrs since it was a smart tv and it's not anywhere worth it.

I do think it's sad that we seemed to have created a very wasteful society.
andunc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
It is hard to fix things anymore as they are not made to last and so much has motherboards. No sense trying to fix most washers these days as the motherboard costs a fortune and finding parts can be tricky.

We try hard to buy the least fancy model hat does what we need to help reduce repair expenses. Although that is harder to do. Our washer is a plain top loader, not HE, with simple knobs - no computer panel except for the lights telling you where it is at in the cycle. I wish I could get one like I grew up with push buttons and you only knew it was done when it was quiet.

We did "repair" our dryer awhile back. Took the entire thing apart and vacuumed it out. Spent several hours and never really saw anything that seemed like it would be a problem but the dryer started working much better after that.

We have repaired our kitchen sink faucet twice. We keep springing a leak in the hose for the sprayer attachment. Moen sends us new parts and I just replace them. They are going to hate us knowing that we are under warranty for this item as it keeps happening but I won't get a new fixture when I can fix it for free.

That is what we do as well. We try to get the items with the least amount of computer components knowing those will go first.

My last toaster oven had a digital screen and just as predicted it was the panel that went out before any of the heating elements did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andunc02 View Post
DS2 broke our smart tv that we got for Christmas over 2 yrs ago. He thought he could make the dinosaurs fight. The tv on the outside looks perfectly fine but there is absolutely no reason to repair the inner screen. It's just as expensive to repair the screen as it is to buy a new TV. Add in the technological advancements in the past 2 yrs since it was a smart tv and it's not anywhere worth it.

I do think it's sad that we seemed to have created a very wasteful society.
My dh has said that if our current tv breaks we will not be purchasing another.

I agree that we have become a throwaway society. Companies will cover things until warranty expires but they won't fix the issues.

I'm still waiting for my cuisinart blade replacement from a recall months ago.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

Fixing versus Replacing

My husband tries to fix anything and everything (within reason).
He said he will keep fixing our washer from the early 90s til it can't be fixed anymore.
Instead of replacing our carpet cleaner my mom gave us when the motor broke, he just bought a new motor & replaced that.
We figure the older stuff is usually built more solidly anyway, so we'd rather keep fixing that stuff than just buy expensive, yet usually cheaply made replacements. When we do buy replacements for things, we make sure it is built to last and able to be repaired.

Last edited by kristinajura; 04-01-2017 at 02:28 PM.
kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #8
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinajura View Post
My husband tries to fix anything and everything (within reason).
He said he will keep fixing our washer from the early 90s til it can't be fixed anymore.
Instead of replacing our carpet cleaner my mom gave us when the motor broke, he just bought a new motor & replaced that.
We figure the older stuff is usually built more solidly anyway, so we'd rather keep fixing that stuff than just buy expensive, yet usually cheaply made replacements. When we do buy replacements for things, we make sure it is built to last and able to be repaired.

I agree completely. When you go to replace something it can be really disappointing to see how poorly some things are made.

Our repair guy (happens to be a neighbor) was really optimistic that our washer could keep going for a long time to come. I hope so. I love that thing.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
NurseAbi09
Registered Users

I consider myself handy when it comes to household stuff. I can fix toilets and sinks and cars. Sometimes though, when I get behind on cleaning I look at things like the plastic blinds that I haaaaaate to clean and look up what replacement costs. Haven't quite bought instead of cleaned, but have definitely thought about it! Lol
NurseAbi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
kanga1622
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAbi09
I consider myself handy when it comes to household stuff. I can fix toilets and sinks and cars. Sometimes though, when I get behind on cleaning I look at things like the plastic blinds that I haaaaaate to clean and look up what replacement costs. Haven't quite bought instead of cleaned, but have definitely thought about it! Lol
This is the one and only reason I wish I lived in the country. I'd have no window coverings as I HATE to clean blinds. They are probably the dirtiest thing in my home. We have great custom blinds that a previous owner installed but they are a nightmare to clean so they only get the full super clean every couple of years.