Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
ssimet
Registered Users
seller

Re: Fixing versus Replacing

I was lucky to grow up learning how to fix things and working on cars. I always try to fix it first if I can!

Advertisement

ssimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

It is a constant drama issue here. Not kidding. We keep insight to extend and repair, but end up replacing items. Like other posters have stated, parts are not made durable...and when they break, it is a link like dominoes. So, we try to foresee before the part breaks and just replace the item altogether. When we see the item not working the way it should and knowing that the parts are probably not up to par, etc. we know (through experience) not to wait for the item to break because in the past it has just created chaos, aggravation, and plain drama here. We are crazy busy here and just purchase a new item.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 04-04-2017 at 01:15 PM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #13
Braesmama
Registered Users

We were going to replace our 30 year old furnace until I looked up reviews on the new ones...tons of complaints! Luckily we found a repair person that agreed...he said the old ones are work houses, new ones are made to break. He fixed it super cheaply two years ago and it's still going strong!
Braesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
kapoki
Registered Users
seller

My vitamix blender stopped working (this thing was in the family for 20 years at least).. So I looked up online how to fix it, and fixed it myself and it works now! I love fixing, saves me $ and saves the landfill from extra stuff that doesn't need to be there.
kapoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
BRXB
Registered Users
seller

We have been really blessed to be able to fix 99% of the things that have broken in our home over the past several years. My husband is the handy one and it has been a lifesaver, because even hiring a handyman was/is way out of our budget. He has fixed our washer and dryer several times...we bought old ones that had been refurbished and they are still going strong 11 years later! I would MUCH rather have old things that are mechanical and fixable than new things that are all computerized.
BRXB is offline   Reply With Quote