Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
stepingum
Registered Users

Re: Dave Ramsey - Budget - Debt Free Spring Thread

We keep some in a Taxable Brokerage account at vangaurd.com, invested in Index Funds. It is subject to market fluctuations (when the market crashes it is entirely possible that we lose half, which will recover over time unless we need it at that moment) so we like to keep at least 10k in a Savings account at the bank, even though the interest rate is so pathetic. It is hard to know what is best; if we knew we wouldn't need the money in an emergency, it would most certainly do better invested, but job loss and market crashes usually occur together, and that is the worst time to sell investments. Our hope is that 10k would be enough to keep us afloat until we could find another job, without having to tap into the investment account. When the market is strong then we don't hesitate to use our investment account to fund larger purchases such as a new septic system or vehicle. I hope this helps!

Advertisement

stepingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
abh5e8
Registered Users

Re: Dave Ramsey - Budget - Debt Free Spring Thread

We do the same with a taxable brokerage account at vanguard... But it is only for long term savings, like 10+ yrs. If the market is high, we may pull some out, but I would not keep down payment savings there. Too risky for my taste. 😄