Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all the tips, Sara.

I totally Agree that if a belt is used all day every day, your muscles can get lazy to the point that when you do take the belt off, its NOT pretty. (PAIN)

I am not wearing my belt much this pregnancy and trying to focus more in exercising my back muscles. Exercise bike. And getting on all fours and lifting legs one at a time up slowly. If I can tolerate it, I do lifts to the side, too. I think this is definitely helping some. I do think exercise is key.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maternity Support Belts?

I've got a blanqi as well, and while it's early days yet (almost 19 weeks) I do notice that it helps my back. I'm not having hip trouble right now though. I talked to some moms on another site who were raving about maternity compression shorts that were great for hip pain. I can't remember what they were called - maybe google will find it for you?

For what it's worth, I have had very painful hips in some of my pregnancies, and it started around 18 weeks, and then eased up around 26 or 28 weeks...? Can't remember exactly, but it didn't last until the end. I remember thinking "If it's like this now, how am I going to walk at 38 weeks!?" But it got better.

About exercise - I think that strengthening your muscles so that your joints are supported is the ideal way to go, but I know in my last pregnancy, I was so sore, and my joints were so loose, I just couldn't do the strengthening exercises! I tried, but it just hurt too badly, and I couldn't walk afterwards and was totally exhausted. If you can build up those muscles before you have trouble, then that's great, but sometimes, once you're in trouble, you've got to get support another way for a while.

Hope you find some relief soon!

Last edited by ~Cricket~; 04-14-2013 at 12:26 PM.
~Cricket~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise
I have the popping too, it's horrible.

Mine started early though I didn't know that's what it was at the time. I was wearing one of these http://www.blanqi.com/ everyday to hold up my pants, but noticed when I wasn't wearing it I had really achy hips. It wasn't until about 25 weeks that it got a lot worse and then by 26 weeks almost unbearable. But the body styler DEFINITELY helps.

in PT so far (I've only been once and haven't started the aquatherapy yet) we've worked on strengthening surrounding muscles so that I am not replying on my hips and pelvis as much. So like when I roll over in bed (when it's the worst for me) I suck in my stomach and use what little stomach muscles I have left to help.

One exercise I do several times a day is lay on my back with my legs bent and feet flat on the floor. I put my hands between my knees and push in slightly (stopping if more than just a tiny bit of pain) for 10 seconds. Then relax. Then I push my hips up into a bridge position (shoulders still on the ground) and hold for 10 seconds focusing on using the muscles I just used to push in. It helps strengthen the muscles in my hips so I am not overusing the ligaments as much.

I'm obviously still in pain, and still need to take it easy, but so far that has really helped in lessening it just a little bit and I just started so I'm sure it will get better!

She also said my hips were misaligned, so will be working on trying to correct that since that can cause a lot of issues. I would really suggest trying to get a referral from your Dr.
Thank you for the tips and exercises! I will try these. Rolling over is the worst for me too - it is excruciating!! I have a belt on the way and will try these exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you all! I will try these things. It is interesting that everyone is focused on exercising, though. I have always been active and still am. I have not been doing my weight routines this time but I was still doing all of them when I was pregnant with DS and I still had these issues (even with doing yoga, adductor/abductor work, etc.) Ironically, exercise made it much worse with him so I stopped when it was hurting me too much and I just walked and did some water walking. Still, I'll try these specific exercises.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maternity Support Belts?

I think it's about finding the right exercises. I think I mentioned above that I am a ballet teacher, when not pregnant I run. I'm in pretty good shape...but still had the pain. This is more about strengthening specific muscles to help support the loosening ligaments better than just being "in shape"
Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise
I think it's about finding the right exercises. I think I mentioned above that I am a ballet teacher, when not pregnant I run. I'm in pretty good shape...but still had the pain. This is more about strengthening specific muscles to help support the loosening ligaments better than just being "in shape"
Gotcha. That makes sense.