Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why homeschooling?

My husband works nights he would never see our kids if they went to public school. He would be asleep when they for school and gone when they got home. The school system where we live sucks. Not only are they lacking in the educational department but they are rough schools. it also gives us freedom to help out my parents when they need it, go camping trips etc. I truly feel my kids are getting a better education at home

Advertisement

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

wonderfully sums up many of my reasons:

http://childrensmd.org/uncategorized...ational-trend/
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

My reasons echo many of those stated here, but a recent thread on the main Parenting forum solidified it. It was about transitioning to an all day kinder without naps, and some of the suggestions included putting the child to bed as early as 6:00, even 5!!! For us, that would leave zero family time. I can't see rushing her home from school, stuffing some food in her, doing her medical treatments (about 1.5 hours) then shuffling her off to bed. That is just not the life I want to lead or have my kids lead. I'm blessed to be able to stay home so homeschooling is a possibility, otherwise our days would look much like that.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I went to private school through third grade and then my mom chose to homeschool me and my 3 siblings. I had hated school, I was quiet and well behaved but didn't like that my entire day was spent sitting in a class room waiting for other kids to sit still and be quiet so we could learn. At home we were done with schoolwork in just a couple of hours and had the whole rest of the day to do whatever we wanted. I loved being home with my family and being taught by my mother who obviously cared a great deal about me and my education. So when I had my own kids I didn't even think for one second about sending them away to school, homeschooling is my norm and anything else jut can't stand up to benefits I have seen in my own life and in my kid's.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Why Doctors and Lawyers Homeschool Their Children
Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

Main reason- We live in a sucky school district (for the elementary school anyway). There are lots of great schools around us, but our county won't let us transfer to a school we are not zoned for. We can't afford private, but that would be our first choice.

Perks- flexibility of scheduling. We can school when we want, as long as we get it done. I choose what they learn, when they are ready. We don't have to deal with the red tape of the public school systems- ours are very hung up on standardized testing, and teach to the test, not what the kids actually need to know. We can move at their pace, be it fast or slow. Closer as a family. I get to spend more time with them, and have more time to teach them our values before they are completely exposed to the world.

Last edited by CCRMSS; 04-07-2013 at 11:03 AM.
CCRMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
sthomas1222
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband and I wanted private school for our kids. Now that we've had our daughter I don't want to work. But if we want to do private school I have to work. So, our compromise will be to homeschool her. Also, we both were extremely bored with school. I had a 3.8 GPA in high school and almost didn't graduate b/c I stopped coming to class b/c I was so bored with it! Husband didn't get his minor in math b/c the last class he needed for it was boring so he didn't take it...
I also will admit that after Sandy Hook I'm not wanting to send my child to any school. I want to keep her close to me, I don't want to have to worry. Though I know I can't keep her locked in the house 24/7, at least if something bad happens when we're out and about I will be right there...
sthomas1222 is offline   Reply With Quote