Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Adoption and size of home

I'm a single mother with two bio children and looking to adopt a third at some point. I'm somewhat of a minimalist and our current home is around 750sq ft/ 2 bed 1 bath in a cohousing community. Right now we co-sleep and don't even use the second room (which is actually an unfinished attic, about 250 sq ft, will be finished later this year and become the second bedroom).

This home size is small for American standards so I'm wondering whether this will impact my ability to adopt.

Advertisement

bbammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Adoption and size of home

What type of adoption are you thinking about?

I only have experience with foster adoption. Personally I would not invite dfs into your home while you are co sleeping unless your kids are infants/toddlers.

The regulations in our area don't give a specific square footage per person amount. Each person needs a crib/toddler/twin bed, or half of a full size bed. Mixed genders can't share a bedroom after the older child turns six. Babies can't share the parents bedroom after eighteen months of age.

I would just start researching the types of adoption and the regulations for them. That should give you a better idea of what you will be eligible for.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, this is helpful. I'm thinking about private domestic adoption. My kids are 6 and 2.5, both girls. My 6 year old doesn't seem ready for her own bed or room anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
ruth74
Registered Users

Some regulations are agency specific, and some are state-specific, even in private adoption. In my state and with the agency I used, if the second bedroom were finished, your house would not be a barrier to adopting a girl. I probably would be an issue if you wanted to adopt a boy, unless you had a plan for adding another bedroom as the child got older. Some agencies may have no problem with cosleeping, while others likely will. I think even if they are okay with it, they would want to see that there is a second bedroom for the kids, even if they sleep with you, so I would suggest waiting until it is finished before starting the process.

There are a few other things to consider. Some agencies allow you to specify gender; others do not. It might be harder to find an agency if you can only consider a girl because of the rooms. If you want to have more options, or if you hope to adopt a boy, is there a way you could split the room? Where I am, there are square footage requirements for bedrooms, but they are pretty minimal (40 sq ft per child, or 60 sq ft if it is one child in a room), so size-wise it would probably be fine to split the attic into two bedrooms, if it worked logistically and you wanted to do so. I don't think the size of your home would necessarily be an issue, but you might need to look at the configuration.

If you plan to cosleep with the baby, that may also be an issue for an agency, especially since you are already cosleeping with your other kids. The more people, the greater the risk. I used an arms reach cosleeper with my son; the agency knew that was my plan and had no problem with it, in case that is something you would consider.
ruth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Adoption and size of home

Ruth74, thank you for all this info. I would strongly prefer to adopt a girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbammu; 04-25-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

Our first apartment was around 600 square feet and our current home is about 1200 square feet. We were approved to foster and adopt no problem in the 600 square feet place. The biggest things would be that the children have their own room and that they don't share with opposite sex over a certain age (depending on where you live) so if you lived in my state with an apartment that size and two girls you would have no problems fostering or adopting a girl through foster care. You may also be able to foster a young boy (our state is under 2 can share room with adult, and under 6 can share with opposite sex).

So really it sounds okay to me, but you should check with your local agency for better details.