Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
darling
Registered Users
seller

Re: at what point does it get easier?

I surely hope so! I have three little ones, age 3, 2, & 1.

I am having a hard time with the 2 year old's tantrums. . . does that ever stop?

Advertisement

darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I have four 7 and under and it's tough! I just got pregnant and feel sick all the time which makes it harder. With four, getting out of the house is tough and I feel so couped up sometimes. I have majorly simplified toys, clothing, etc. I made a chore chart that has motivated them a lot to help and not complain so much. On the chore chart there is living room (all toys out and cushions back), bathroom (empty trash, wipe counters, organize stuff), bedroom (all toys out, clothes and shoes in the right place), table time (set table, clean up, wipe table and floors or sweep), outdoor toys. The 2 year old has 'brush teeth, put on clothes, help sisters," just to get her used to the chart. We do all this a couple hours before bedtime only (once a day). It feels good to go to sleep with a tidy house and wake up to a cleaner home. This help really helps me out. I give the oldest some special rewards for helping me watch the baby and play with him. Her help allows me to take showers in peace. I also make double amounts of food and we eat it for two days to reduce cooking and clean up. Play positive happy music too. It helps the moods of everyone in the home. Good luck, it's so tough and I don't feel like its gotten any easier but I am pregnant so ????
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Seriously just keep plugging away and train up those kids! Once you have a well trained 7yr old life starts to become much easier and eventually they are 9 and then life in MUCH easier but only if you plugged away when they were young!

My 10 are easier than a lot of people's 2 because they are well trained TEAM members of our family. I did less training with the youngest kids because they learned from the older ones!

Ex: I trained my 8 year old to do laundry. Start a load, flip a load, sort into room baskets and help with put away. That child had a younger buddy. So when she was 10 she had a 6 year old buddy. Because he helped he learned and earlier too!

Another ex: house rule, you sleep until 7 am. Then room light may go on and you may read from your book box (kitchen sink plastic dish tub from $tree) until mom/dad wakes up the house (note under 5 may have 2 small stuffed animals to whisper play in addition to reading with but books encouraged.)
It took a LOT of work training my first 3 to do this. Because we did a "sleeping room" where they all slept and had a play room where toys were, I didn't have to train the rest of them because the little ones did what the losers do! Now we have a boy room and girl room and when a little one is done in a crib (for me around 3 1/2) they go to the big kid room and there's no problem with transition!

I also found streamlining my home was huge! I didn't have more toys than I personally wanted to clean up when they were little (I decide 20 minutes worth of toys). I kept things like coloring, puzzles and the like out of reach and used for mom directed time so that the mess was contained. I got rid of electronic toys because they were noisy and annoying and kids make enough sound on their own. Children do not have free reign in the kitchen... Ever! Small things like that.

My life changed again once my oldest turned 12. Now I have a babysitter, a competent baker and cooker. I can sit and nurse the baby because my oldest is joyfully preparing dinner!

Now with a 14 yr old and slew of helpers under her I literally get "helped out" of doing anything and have to tell them that I'm still a part if the team and need to do things too lol.

All thus is only as good as their hearts and character that was a lot if the training in the younger years.

It DOES get better but only if you require joy and obedience working on their hearts early. It was not easy in the beginning but like I said. One day I woke up and realized I have one heck of a wonderful team! Together we raise little ones, tend the home, get school done, etc. and when they grow up, they will be that much more equipped as adults because they learned early that the world does not revolve around them and that a team is only as good as the sweet boss and the sweet boss is only as good as the faithful followers
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGlorylife
Seriously just keep plugging away and train up those kids! Once you have a well trained 7yr old life starts to become much easier and eventually they are 9 and then life in MUCH easier but only if you plugged away when they were young!

My 10 are easier than a lot of people's 2 because they are well trained TEAM members of our family. I did less training with the youngest kids because they learned from the older ones!

Ex: I trained my 8 year old to do laundry. Start a load, flip a load, sort into room baskets and help with put away. That child had a younger buddy. So when she was 10 she had a 6 year old buddy. Because he helped he learned and earlier too!

Another ex: house rule, you sleep until 7 am. Then room light may go on and you may read from your book box (kitchen sink plastic dish tub from $tree) until mom/dad wakes up the house (note under 5 may have 2 small stuffed animals to whisper play in addition to reading with but books encouraged.)
It took a LOT of work training my first 3 to do this. Because we did a "sleeping room" where they all slept and had a play room where toys were, I didn't have to train the rest of them because the little ones did what the losers do! Now we have a boy room and girl room and when a little one is done in a crib (for me around 3 1/2) they go to the big kid room and there's no problem with transition!

I also found streamlining my home was huge! I didn't have more toys than I personally wanted to clean up when they were little (I decide 20 minutes worth of toys). I kept things like coloring, puzzles and the like out of reach and used for mom directed time so that the mess was contained. I got rid of electronic toys because they were noisy and annoying and kids make enough sound on their own. Children do not have free reign in the kitchen... Ever! Small things like that.

My life changed again once my oldest turned 12. Now I have a babysitter, a competent baker and cooker. I can sit and nurse the baby because my oldest is joyfully preparing dinner!

Now with a 14 yr old and slew of helpers under her I literally get "helped out" of doing anything and have to tell them that I'm still a part if the team and need to do things too lol.

All thus is only as good as their hearts and character that was a lot if the training in the younger years.

It DOES get better but only if you require joy and obedience working on their hearts early. It was not easy in the beginning but like I said. One day I woke up and realized I have one heck of a wonderful team! Together we raise little ones, tend the home, get school done, etc. and when they grow up, they will be that much more equipped as adults because they learned early that the world does not revolve around them and that a team is only as good as the sweet boss and the sweet boss is only as good as the faithful followers
Can you take me under your wing seriously though, this is what I want for my family but I dropped the ball with my oldest and it is hard now. My oldest is 8 and seriously doesn't think she need to do much of anything. The 2 younger ones are much better though

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGlorylife View Post

This is beyond wonderful! My mom was like this and I am a MUCH more competent adult than many of my friends as a result. I think this is a great way to run a household whether you have 1 kid or 10.

My little 19 month old already "helps" around the house. He puts his socks and pjs in his drawer and hands me plates from the dishwasher. It's adorable!it takes 14 times as long but it prevents me from bending over too much while being 37 weeks pregnant. .
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
You are all very sweet! Having lots of kids close together made all the difference for how I ran my home. I'm a huge fan if "reverse engineering" how do u want your kids in say 5 years? Work backwards to know what to be working on now to accomplish it!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
mommax7
Registered Users
seller

I love your post and it's a great reminder for putting in the hard work now!
mommax7 is offline   Reply With Quote