Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
kacopan
Registered Users

CD newbie help with wash coming out gunky

I am in my 3rd day of almost exclusively CD (only use disposables when we're out) on 2mo that's EBF. This is my 2nd time washing (we wash 'daily' but at different times of the day so it works out to about every day and a half. I'm having issues with diapers coming out of the wash with gunk on them - either flaky where i can pick it off, or like a paste that i have to scrape off with my nail and leaves a stain that washes off.

we use fuzzibunz as overnighters and grovia hybrids with standard soaker pads (not the organic ones) and happy little clouds w/o covers as breathers for an hour a day (no poops in the clouds yet *knocks on wood*). baby is changed at least every 2 hours, or right after naps, and definitely right after poops (while it's still runny and bright yellow!) unless he poops in his sleep and we dont catch it until after he wakes.

washer is a samsung HE top loading washer purchased nov 2012.

here's my routine:

- poopy diapers/pads are scrubbed out in the sink w/fingernails or hard-bristled nail brush until yellow stains lighten and water rinses clear
- diapers/pads then hand-wrung and thrown into dry wetbag.
- wash time - cold water quick wash (as a rinse) w/o soap
- normal wash on hot w/2 tbsp Rockin Green (no control over rinse temp) w/ extra rinse - settings are temp: hot (highest temp setting), spin: high (can go extra high), soil: extra heavy (highest soil setting)

i've had to pull out each individual pad/diaper and hand pick/scrape off the gunk as well as get on a stool and wipe out gunk from the bottom of the washer. i've attached pictures so you can see what it looks like.

1st wash was a rinse, wash, wipe out washer and pick off gunk, wash
2nd wash was a rinse, wash, poo diaper smelled poopy so rewash, wash, wipe out washer and pick off gunk,wash. I'm on my 3rd wash now and I gotta say, if this comes out gunky again I'm going to CRY.

Is this poo or detergent residue? what am i doing wrong?? TIA for any help!!

i can't post images or links yet but have pictures to show what i'm talking about!!!

Advertisement

kacopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
samwise
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: CD newbie help with wash coming out gunky

That sounds really strange, especially because it sounds like you really rinse out you diapers pretty well. When my DD was ebf I never rinsed anything before washing and sometimes I would have problems with my lil joeys getting clean along the gussets, but in my case it was really obvious that it was poop lol.

About how many diapers do you wash in a load? Sometimes with small loads they don't have enough to properly agitate. Do you have another detergent on hand that you could try?
samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

What color is the gunk? My first thought is that it is some kind of lint. When I wash new diapers, I sometimes get some fibers from the diaper that comes off and reattaches to the other diapers. If it is white, this might be the problem. I also get this problem when I have an OOPS moment... some kind of paper goes through the wash.

Next thought is, are you putting enough water in the load? There is a balance between enough water (I find that using more water allows me to do fewer rinses) and too much water (if you have too much water, the diapers don't rub together, similar to what samwise said). If your load is too small to wash properly, just toss a towel in.

And I never rinsed out my EBF diapers either. You certainly can do it, but you don't have to. I suspect you will have fewer stains if you rinse them out, however.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
kacopan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise View Post
That sounds really strange, especially because it sounds like you really rinse out you diapers pretty well. When my DD was ebf I never rinsed anything before washing and sometimes I would have problems with my lil joeys getting clean along the gussets, but in my case it was really obvious that it was poop lol.

About how many diapers do you wash in a load? Sometimes with small loads they don't have enough to properly agitate. Do you have another detergent on hand that you could try?
I DO rinse them out well!! DH won't change poopy diapers because of the hassle of scrubbing them out. but until i get this figured out i think the less gunk, the better, right?? lol

there's typically 3-4 fuzzibuns + newborn inserts, 3-4 grovia shells, 8-10 pads, 2 clouds and the pail liner flipped inside out. and i only have rockin green on hand.

Last edited by kacopan; 12-01-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
kacopan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEkalmia View Post
What color is the gunk? My first thought is that it is some kind of lint. When I wash new diapers, I sometimes get some fibers from the diaper that comes off and reattaches to the other diapers. If it is white, this might be the problem. I also get this problem when I have an OOPS moment... some kind of paper goes through the wash.

Next thought is, are you putting enough water in the load? There is a balance between enough water (I find that using more water allows me to do fewer rinses) and too much water (if you have too much water, the diapers don't rub together, similar to what samwise said). If your load is too small to wash properly, just toss a towel in.

And I never rinsed out my EBF diapers either. You certainly can do it, but you don't have to. I suspect you will have fewer stains if you rinse them out, however.
gunk is greyish-brown. i wish i could post a link or pic to show you exactly what it looks like.

im not sure about too much/little water. i always thought the more water the better but not rubbing each other clean totally makes sense. i will try tossing in a towel with tomorrow's load to see if that helps.

i didnt wash out my firsrt load the first time i washed like so many have said (i read a LOT about CD washing routines when i was preggers!!) but then they came out gunky and i thought maybe it was too much poo and got scared!! haha

thanks so much to you and samwise for taking the time to help a newbie out!

BTW: 3rd was today came out gunky. less gunky but still, gunky. my mom said maybe the washer is just gunky and the hot water is loosening up the existing gunk so i'm doing an empty ho****er-clorox wash to see if that helps. will post again tomorrow to update on how things are going!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

That sounds like a problem with your washing machine not working right. Maybe someone with that same model can chime in.

I never rinsed or did anything with EBF diapers. You are definitely not using too much detergent! Too little, more likely. Do you have any "regular" detergent around, like Tide HE? Use the full amount recommended on the box. Rockin Green is notorious for not being strong enough for cloth diapers...Remember, these things get pooped in! They need strong detergent and plenty of it!

But the leftover gunk you are describing is NOT normal. Cloth diapering should NOT be that much work. Most of us shake off whatever dirty stuff we can into the toilet, toss everything into a pail, and wash every few days.

It sounds like your washer is broken or there is gunk in the water or something

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-01-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacopan View Post
gunk is greyish-brown. i wish i could post a link or pic to show you exactly what it looks like.

im not sure about too much/little water. i always thought the more water the better but not rubbing each other clean totally makes sense. i will try tossing in a towel with tomorrow's load to see if that helps.

i didnt wash out my firsrt load the first time i washed like so many have said (i read a LOT about CD washing routines when i was preggers!!) but then they came out gunky and i thought maybe it was too much poo and got scared!! haha

thanks so much to you and samwise for taking the time to help a newbie out!

BTW: 3rd was today came out gunky. less gunky but still, gunky. my mom said maybe the washer is just gunky and the hot water is loosening up the existing gunk so i'm doing an empty ho****er-clorox wash to see if that helps. will post again tomorrow to update on how things are going!
Greyish brown would not be EBF poo. I agree with your mom. Sounds like something in the washer or water lines. Maybe do a couple loads of towels on hot to see if the gunk gets left behind on them???
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Do you notice it on your clothes too? I clean my washer once a month either with my washer's cleaning cycle and bleach or with Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. Otherwise I find some brown-ish residue in the front lip or on the door (I have a FL).
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
kacopan
Registered Users

@melinda & notacodfish -

nothing on my clothes - but diapers are the ONLY thing we wash hot. towels get a warm wash once in a while.

Did a hot water (don't know why it got bleeped out in my previous post) and clorox rinsing out and hopefully that helps. will try towels on hot tomorrow BEFORE i do diapers to see if that did the trick. Definitely going to buy the tide washing machine cleaner.

will also look into different detergent... and use a little extra rockin green until i either find something better and use up what i have, or figure out how much to use for my loads.

thanks again for the input. it was SUPER disheartening to think that i did all this research on the best way to wash and then have it not come out right and possibly have to give up CD because it was too much hassle!!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Why are you only using 2 tablespoons of detergent? I'd say that is your issue. You are basically rinsing your diapers, not washing them. I'd suggest switching detergents to a mainstream detergent (I use Tide free and clear) and use the normal amount, not less than you use in your regular laundry.

FYI Rockin' Green is NOTORIOUS for ammonia issues. You won't have ammonia build up with a baby that young but if you don't switch detergents it will probably happen unless you have miracle water. I've read close to hundreds of these 'wash routine issue' threads and almost always the person is using weak/natural/diaper safe detergent.

Last edited by carverjill; 12-01-2014 at 10:50 PM.
carverjill is offline   Reply With Quote