Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Uncomfortable overnight flats?

Hi there,

Has anyone had a toddler show signs of being uncomfortable (squirming, waking a lot, falls asleep after diaper change) with attempting to use flats overnight?

DD is almost 16 months and I have been using bamboo bird's eye flats (imagine diapers) with a hemp doubler wrapped in airplane fold and a micro fleece stay dry liner against her skin. I snappi together and put a wool soaker on top.

This was working great for a week! Then all the sudden she starts tossing and turning in the middle of the night and the only thing that seems to help is changing her to a fresh diaper... Usually around 4am... And I just put her in her day time setup (grovia hybrid) at this point.

The entire (70-80%) bamboo flat and hemp insert are pretty saturated by 4am ... Although we've never had a leak when she did stay in the same diaper all night...

I wonder if she is cold...? When the flat/hemp insert get so saturated. And wool breathes so well... Maybe that pee soaked wetness is waking her up as it cools to room temp? Spring nights here are still 50-60 degrees and our room is usually between 68-70 degrees. I keep window cracked. She has leg warmers on and she sleeps with me so you'd think she'd be warmed by me...

But maybe it's the wetness... Annoying her. The flat is soaked up around her hips. I've tried using two hemp doublers but that didn't help too much.

Has anyone bought a yard of micro fleece and made a fitted diaper shape to pin to baby underneath a flat? So that no part of the flat is touching baby's skin?

I thought that maybe a cheaper route than buying fitteds lined with stay dry material.

Any advice would be so appreciated!!

Advertisement

Last edited by mommyegon; 04-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
rhondab
Registered Users
seller

Re: Uncomfortable overnight flats?

I have used the Imagine Bamboo flats, and they are very nice. However, as for night time I will only use Fruit of the Womb's, or Stashify, Sweet Iris and such. I never have a problem with these. I know they are a little pricey but I promise so so worth it. I know some Mama's don't even use a doubler w/them at night, but I do. Just because.. in case. I hope some of the other Moms chime in on the stay dry idea for you, but I'm just have used both and this is what works well for me.
rhondab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondab View Post
I have used the Imagine Bamboo flats, and they are very nice. However, as for night time I will only use Fruit of the Womb's, or Stashify, Sweet Iris and such. I never have a problem with these. I know they are a little pricey but I promise so so worth it. I know some Mama's don't even use a doubler w/them at night, but I do. Just because.. in case. I hope some of the other Moms chime in on the stay dry idea for you, but I'm just have used both and this is what works well for me.

Hi! Do you use Fruit of the Womb's "preflats"...?? I was wondering how well those worked or how they are different exactly.

Do you like FotW and Stashify's bamboo diapers because they are very absorbent or stretchy?? The Imagine Birdseye bamboo flats are softer than my cotton Birdseye but they have almost no stretch.

Hmm.

I think maybe it's a combination of wetness and chilly butt-ness that's waking her. I wish they made flats with stay dry layered on each side but bulky!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cutting some microfleece would be the cheapest and easiest thing to try. A luxury flat is giving you more absorbency... so maybe just double your flat and add the microfleece or something?

FWIW, I used padfolded cotton flats at night on ds#3 and he also woke with this set up. I added a 3 layer hemp doubler and topped it all with fleece and this helped a lot. The wetness didn't touch him at all because the fleece covered the entire padfolded flat. He also slept with me and I knew the room was warm enough.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

if its saturated its wet more than were the microfleece would be
"protecting" her skin. Also if staturated the liner won't be working as well to help her feel stay dry, if there is not enough behind it to pull the moisture away then wetness will stay at the surface.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Uncomfortable overnight flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Cutting some microfleece would be the cheapest and easiest thing to try. A luxury flat is giving you more absorbency... so maybe just double your flat and add the microfleece or something?

FWIW, I used padfolded cotton flats at night on ds#3 and he also woke with this set up. I added a 3 layer hemp doubler and topped it all with fleece and this helped a lot. The wetness didn't touch him at all because the fleece covered the entire padfolded flat. He also slept with me and I knew the room was warm enough.

What kind of cover are you using??

I have grovia shells but they are very narrow in the crotch and don't cover the flat... When I snappi them on her. I haven't tried pad folding in that cover. I will try it!

Although... I thought wool would be more comfortable at night as far as possible pinching and mobility. I also thought that wool would be the way to go... since it breaths and our bedroom gets hot in the summer.

So I decided to use wool pull up soakers ... And then I have to snappi on the flat... Which makes creating an all over stay dry barrier tricky.

Ack! I am getting all turned around.

So if baby needs stay dry barrier, breath ability and comfort... And still be somewhat trim...

What would you rec??

A stretchier more absorbent bamboo flat? Pad folded into a wool wrap that is like a PUL cover with snaps? Hemp doubler with stay dry on top?

If it's pad folded... Would an infant bamboo prefold be just as trim?

Last edited by mommyegon; 04-22-2015 at 12:08 PM.
mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
if its saturated its wet more than were the microfleece would be
"protecting" her skin. Also if staturated the liner won't be working as well to help her feel stay dry, if there is not enough behind it to pull the moisture away then wetness will stay at the surface.

It's dry against her where the stay dry liner is but up around her hips is wet... Where the flat fold wraps around her hips to be snappied.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And I am just thinking that since the knit wool soaker breathes so well that room's chill is cooling the soaked flat down and making her cold. It feels cool to touch when I take it off her.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

yeah i asked people about cold wet bum with wool when I first started the wool adventure and there was really no comment.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so padfold the flat in a PUL cover with a doubler and a fleece liner, then put a wool cover over the whole thing. I did that with ds#1 at night to prevent leaks. Worked like a charm for him. With ds#3 it was winter so I put wool longies over the padfold inside a PUl cover.

Wool should keep the body the RIGHT temperature- cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather. So if your baby's skin feels wet and cold after you take off the dipe, 2 things:
1. This is actually better for baby than having warm skin when removing a disposable or PUL cover. Overheating in the genital area, day after day and night after night... not good.
2. Add more warmth. If the cool temp bothers you or baby, add wool longies or fleece pants over the wool cover, have baby sleep in socks, etc. Sleeping in socks really keeps your body warm. I always start out in socks on winter nights, but have to kick them off by 1 or 2 am!

HTH!

Last edited by momomom; 04-22-2015 at 01:15 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote